GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Experience With Camber Plates?

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
I am considering camber plates for the track but I don't want any serious negative issues with them on the street such as noise. Yes, I know TT control arms are another way to get some camber without any adverse effects on the street. However, I am doing NASA TT and aftermarket control arms cost me 4 pts while camber plates cost me none.

I have run Vorshlag camber plates on a '99 M3 with no noise or other problems on the street. Vorshlag and Ground Control also make camber plates for the Mark V/VI, as does H2 Sport. Does anyone have any experience with camber plates on the Mark V/VI? If so, what were your experiences in terms of street and track?

Thanks...

Last edited:

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
to start this out, here are some links...
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78846&page=2
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24023

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I have Ground Control camber plates. Not too hard to install and I certainly didn't cut the top of the strut tower. You can adjust the camber from underneath with the GC camber plates and I got them set to -2 when getting an alignment (and haven't changed it since).

Better turn in at the track and faster tire wear on the street :)

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
I have Ground Control camber plates. Not too hard to install and I certainly didn't cut the top of the strut tower. You can adjust the camber from underneath with the GC camber plates and I got them set to -2 when getting an alignment (and haven't changed it since).

You didnt have to remove the struts to adjust and just could jack the car up to adjust the plates?

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed

Other than increased tire wear, have you experienced any other drawbacks such as noise/rattling...etc.? If you wanted to, are you able to get more than 2 degrees camber on the GCs?

Thanks...

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Other than increased tire wear, have you experienced any other drawbacks such as noise/rattling...etc.? If you wanted to, are you able to get more than 2 degrees camber on the GCs?

Thanks...

Some small amount of knock when going over bumps on the street.
I think you can go slightly more than 2 degrees (but not much more) with the 'street/touring' plates. They have a race version which allows you to do more and also more caster adjustment.

Do the camber plates raise the ride hieght at all?

No.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Appreciate the links...the cutting the strut tower is a little disconcerting but apparently necessary if you want to access through the top. The Bruce had a good suggestion in the last link of only cutting a portion of the strut tower.

To be honest I don't know if cutting weakens stiffness at all. The plate itself
should be stiff enough. The need to cut it depends on:

- damper (damping adjustment knobs)
- camber only or camber + caster adjustability
- adjustability from underneath like Erwan's GC plates

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
Excellent info guys...much appreciated.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for the inspiration!

Good stuff Ryan. Was googling Ground Control camber plates when I ran into the pic of you dremmeling the strut tower tops like Dave did, and your car looks British racing green in that light!