GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to remove Grille to replace front VW emblem?

roy_gti

i just received piano black VW emblem, order from blog-sport and i'm wondering how to remove the chrome vw symbol on the back and then put the black one on - i looked in the DIY's but couldnt really find any good info.

Attachments

• PC109551.jpg
    PC109551.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,227

lon888

Ready to race!
The grill assembly is held on by some torq fasteners (I'm thinking 4 of them) - they are easily seen when you raise the hood. Remove the screws and wigggle the grill a little, it'll come out.

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Put your fingers in the emblem, and turn slighty clockwise. To put back new one repeat the same steps but counter clockwise. No need to remove the grill.

michal

Go Kart Champion
It can be done just by turning the emblem counterclockwise and pulling it out but if you don't want to brake any of the emblem clips you have to remove the upper grille first.

1) Remove the upper grille ( 4 T25 torx screws off the top of the grille assembly, then press the top of the bumper down, and at the same time pull the grille gently up and out.
2) Turn the emblem counterclockwise (about 20 degrees, you should hear a click) You have to turn the emblem first to align its clips with the “slots”.
3) Turn over the grille
4) Push down the bottom of the net (there are 2 clips holding it on the bottom)
5) Push and slide down the “net” just a little (there are 2 more clips holding it on the top)
You can also do it in a different order #4 and 5 first and then #1 (turn the emblem while watching the clips on the back) if you are afraid you can brake them.
6) Use a small screwdriver or a paint can opener (it has a small hook and it will be easier to pull the clips)
7) Find one of the clips and pulling it toward the center of the emblem, pull down the emblem at the same time (first make sure that the clips are aligned with the “slots”). If not align them first by turning the emblem to the left or right a little.
8) Do the same for the second clip. Usually that’s enough to remove the emblem but you can do it with the third one, too.
9) Put back the “net”
10) Put the emblem back
11) Turn it clockwise to align it (you will hear a click)

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
is it clockwise or counter clockwise to get it out...

I remember turning mine clockwise when I had to remove it...

The instruction from Michal are done with the grill removed from the car. To remove the emblem only, you just turn it gently and the emblem comes out.

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
i just received piano black VW emblem, order from blog-sport and i'm wondering how to remove the chrome vw symbol on the back and then put the black one on - i looked in the DIY's but couldnt really find any good info.

Let me just point out the name from the thread "How to remove Grille to replace front VW emblem"

Im confused... which is it, front or back? :iono:

michal

Go Kart Champion
I remember turning mine clockwise when I had to remove it...

The instruction from Michal are done with the grill removed from the car. To remove the emblem only, you just turn it gently and the emblem comes out.

In the first few lines of my instruction :)I stated that you can remove it without taking of the front grill. But I do not recommend it. I did it 3 times by turning the emblem but when I did it for the 4th time I broke 1 clips.

is it clockwise or counter clockwise to get it out...

It's definitely counterclockwise.

bmallicote

Passed Driver's Ed
1) Remove the upper grille ( 4 T25 torx screws off the top of the grille assembly, then press the top of the bumper down, and at the same time pull the grille gently up and out.
2) Turn the emblem counterclockwise (about 20 degrees, you should hear a click) You have to turn the emblem first to align its clips with the “slots”.
3) Turn over the grille
5) Push and slide down the “net” just a little (there are 2 more clips holding it on the top)
You can also do it in a different order #4 and 5 first and then #1 (turn the emblem while watching the clips on the back) if you are afraid you can brake them.
6) Use a small screwdriver or a paint can opener (it has a small hook and it will be easier to pull the clips)
7) Find one of the clips and pulling it toward the center of the emblem, pull down the emblem at the same time (first make sure that the clips are aligned with the “slots”). If not align them first by turning the emblem to the left or right a little.
8) Do the same for the second clip. Usually that’s enough to remove the emblem but you can do it with the third one, too.
9) Put back the “net”
10) Put the emblem back

I tool the grill off to remove mine. it was a challenge. but better than braking something.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I need help! I got the grille off but would anyone care to explain to me how to take the polished front of the grill from the matte part, what clips do I unsnap, etc.?

I'm only 17 and this is my first DIY with this car..

Any help is greatly appreciated!! :iono:

Delta0Medusa

Ready to race!
This may be the most difficult thing ive ever done. Im still working on removing the front emblem...going to smash the damn thing with a hammer in a second:readthethread:

JDM713

Go Kart Champion
any tips on removing the front GTI badge to replace? I know it has clips, but is removing the grille recommended/necessary?

Delta0Medusa

Ready to race!
Finally got it off. Complete pain(at least for me) until i finally noticed the clips everyone has been talking about. First coat of Plasti dip is on! :thumbup:

Last edited:

CELR

It can be done just by turning the emblem counterclockwise and pulling it out but if you don't want to brake any of the emblem clips you have to remove the upper grille first.

3) Turn over the grille
9) Put back the “net”
10) Put the emblem back

I only managed to removed the grille, but is struggling to perform Step No.2

will try again later LOL