GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dustin's thread

Great job! its every part i want for my CSG too.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! Probably more parts off the car than on at this point though. Things have been slow going this year but I'm getting them back on track.

Lately I've been noticing more suspension noise and a lot of harshness in the damping, so I took my car into Auto Union Tuning this past Friday. They swapped out the Ohlins R&Ts' swapped out for some H&R Ultralows. Hopefully this will be a temporary thing while I get the Ohlins inspected maybe rebuilt. There was a decent amount of grime on the adjustment knobs in the front suggesting a leak. While I'm doing that I want to swap out the Eibach's for Hyperco (or Swift) springs.

Mike @AUT did the swap and everything went fine, he even took the time to explain some of the noises I was hearing. I put ~10K on those 034 spherical rear trailing arm bushings since AUT installed them in January. They now click whenever the rear arm has any kind of articulation. We couldn't fix that issue but at least now I know where the noise is coming from, so its good peace of mind. I'll probably end up swapping those out for Superpro poly bushings once they go out.

I'll post some pics of the Ohlins off the car and my alignment sheet later.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! Probably more parts off the car than on at this point though. Things have been slow going this year but I'm getting them back on track.

Lately I've been noticing more suspension noise and a lot of harshness in the damping, so I took my car into Auto Union Tuning this past Friday. They swapped out the Ohlins R&Ts' swapped out for some H&R Ultralows. Hopefully this will be a temporary thing while I get the Ohlins inspected maybe rebuilt. There was a decent amount of grime on the adjustment knobs in the front suggesting a leak. While I'm doing that I want to swap out the Eibach's for Hyperco (or Swift) springs.

Mike @AUT did the swap and everything went fine, he even took the time to explain some of the noises I was hearing. I put ~10K on those 034 spherical rear trailing arm bushings since AUT installed them in January. They now click whenever the rear arm has any kind of articulation. We couldn't fix that issue but at least now I know where the noise is coming from, so its good peace of mind. I'll probably end up swapping those out for Superpro poly bushings once they go out.

I'll post some pics of the Ohlins off the car and my alignment sheet later.

Awesome, do you like what the rear trailing arm bushings did for the handling? I'll probably end up getting the superpro ones but wanted to know if you thought it was worth it?

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Here's a link to the detailed instal that 034 postedhttp://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62084

Pros:
Eliminate rubber bushing deflection (spherical bushings don't deform)
Sharp turn-in
Cheaper than H2sport

Cons:
Increased noise (road noise and some clicking)
More expensive than poly (Superpro, Whiteline) and OEM (S3)
Expensive maintenance

034's spherical RTAB were great, no extra road noise. Turn-in is deliberate and planted, and they stayed that way for maybe 6 months. A lot of that has to do with my new work commute 300 miles/week. More mileage equals more dust and debris which leads to noise even though the RTAB is in a covered location.

The only time I noticed them was when I changed lanes and the rear tire ran over the those reflective lane markers. Spherical's will make noise eventually, but it is only noticeable rolling <20mph through parking lots and neighborhoods especially, if you're sensitive to it I would pass.

If you've ever had loose end-links on a rear sway, it sounds very similar to that. That's actually what I thought it was before I took my car in. 034 is the only company that sells this part, H2sport sells a complete rear kit but with the cost (~900) and their crap customer service I don't recommend buying anything from Tom.

There is no maintenance for these, so its $250 in parts when they are replaced or downgrading to Superpro poly or the S3 OEM bushing.

juldupp

So I'm an idiot, I dropped my car off at AUTuning this weekend to get the Tyrol tie rods installed. If you are running superpro LCA you DO NOT need them, they are ONLY needed if you install the TT LCA. They are way too long for the Superpro/Passat LCAs, they would add a lot of toe to the front alignment. It was my fault Mike at Tyrol did mention it, although it was a one-liner in his 25-page build thread.

The Tyrol tie rod is on top and the stock GTI is on the bottom

The stock GTI outer tie rod has a threaded section that is roughly 61.5mm

You need a minimum of 28mm of engagement to be safe. I have a little more than 36mm after an alignment with the stock GTI tie rod.

Doh, anyone need a set of almost new tie rods? :D

Do you still have the longer tie rods for sale ?

MK6 Shizz

Ready to race!
I spent all morning reading your thread. Great build man! Very inspiring.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! I took a major break from this project last year, moved to a different city, was dealing with a house and a longer commute. I really want to finish the body work this year.

Might as well update since the last post in this thread. Been putting on a lot of miles in the past year with the commute, 50 miles a day. I've had to do some basic maintenance. Around Christmas my coil packs and spark plugs finally went out, replaced them with red top R8's I had sitting around at AUT.

In January I got a flat in my original Conti DW's (215/45/17). Since they were towards the end of their life anyways I ended up replacing with a some wider Michelin PSS. Got a really good deal $500 for all 4. So far I love them, wet grip is amazing and very quiet.

Current wheel setup.
PSS 225/45/17
SSR 17x8 +45 (+15mm spacer/adapter)
H&R Ultralows

Just hit 60K this weekend, changed the oil, replaced the Carbonio filter, and self rolled/pinched my stock front fenders.

PSS have very blocky shoulders, 225 PSS wider > 225 Conti DW, and my front fenders were starting to look like bacon. Used a combination of these, and got decent results. I'll post some parking lot pictures later.

callmegti

Go Kart Champion
what ever happened to the re amemiya wheels? i would have loved to see you run them. I was thinking of picking up a set but im more into the stance scene lol.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Still have AW7's, drove on them for a couple of weeks with the SRS fenders. But my setup isn't aggressive enough to pull it off :/