GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Someone tell me I'm doing this right lol (HID kit install)

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
First time I've had HIDs. I just want to make sure I've got all the wires in the right places. I'm really just stumped about the wire that's on the left. I don't see how it fits anywhere?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
No help! but I was right and it's all plugged in and working now.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I think I realized my issue...I'll have to wait til I get home to see if I'm right, but I'm pretty sure I am. Anything electrical I'm a total noob at.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
You need to code it with vagcom, HID with(or w/o) shutter

His new ones say they're completely plug and play, no vagcom necessary.

Where I screwed up (I'm assuming) is that I left out that wire with the canbus. I didn't see where the end of the connection fit into anything, so I just left it out lol

Now that I've been doing some reading and looking at diagrams I realize I should have disconnected the 2nd cable connected to the canbus, and then it'll plug into the ballast and the power cable.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Now that I've been doing some reading and looking at diagrams I realize I should have disconnected the 2nd cable connected to the canbus, and then it'll plug into the ballast and the power cable.

This is the issue, make sure the canbus is plugged in.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

Thanks, I wish I would have put them in my car so I could have everything hooked up correctly on my way home from work, but I'll just unplug the headlights for now. Don't want to look like I'm trying to give people seizures.

wohv

Ready to race!

I just installed an HID kit in my GX470 a month ago. The extra cable is used to provide extra power to ignite the gas when first turning them on. Once ignited, the power from the OEM connection is enough to keep them powered on. They aren't necessary for some cars such as my GX470. My guess, since VW tend to have weak batteries, they may require the extra cable to provide the necessary power to ignite the gas.

It makes sense since you're lights are "strobing" They aren't getting the required power to fully ignite.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Yup, that's exactly what it was :bonk:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Best I can do for now. They've got some light leak that you can see in the pic, right where below the LEDs are. I found a thread that talked about sliding some foam into the lights to block the light, so I've got some foam on order now. We'll see what I can about it...

If I'm up for it I might wash my car and get some pics this weekend...Depends on how lazy I'm feeling.