GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dsg neutral

kalel

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you dsg owners out there put your transmission into neutral when you are stopped at a light? This is a wikipedia quote.

N position of the floor-mounted shift lever means that the transmission is in "neutral". Similar to P above, both clutch packs and all gear-sets are fully disengaged, however the parking lock is disengaged. This position should be used when the motor vehicle is stationary for a period of time, such as at red traffic lights, or waiting in a queue of stationary traffic.[18] The DSG should not be held in any of the active gear modes while stationary using the footbrake for other than brief periods — due to the clutches being held on the bite point, as this can overheat the clutches and transmission fluid.[18]

Just wondering. I did it during my test drive, but thought that might get old in everyday driving.

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
to me i guess it could make sense. sounds a little excessive to me, if it was that big of a problem then im sure there would be a feature thats similar when the car is stationary when in "D" or any other active gear. With how long VW has been using the DSG's Im sure something would have come up with the amount of people that drive them being crazy OCD about it. I was trying to think of something witty and sarcastic to say comparing putting it in nuetral at stop lights to another arbitrary safety recommendation. My workshop is full of stupid things like that but I dont think anyone would get the jokes. fail. what was i talking about?

2gooder1

I don't believe the clutches are held at the "bite point" all the time. I find in my car if I'm sitting at a light for a while and remove my foot from the break, there is a small delay as the clutch is engaging. It's a wet clutch anyway, so it's wouldn't overheat like a regular manual transmission.

In my car I leave it in gear at lights and only put it in neutral for longer stops. I might be more inclined to put in in neutral and use the hand brake at long lights if I didn't have to put my foot back on the break to get it into D again though.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
If you look at the reference for that tidbit on wikipedia, it's from a Mitsubishi Evo article that's no longer available; and supposedly there are dty clutch DSG's out there and this may apply to those; i have a feeling that's not the case on our DSG's; like 2gooder said, you feel the clutch engaging...

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Car runs ever so slightly smoother with it in neutral, so it does disengage more fully - but I doubt overheating or wear is an issue unless you're stopped in the desert in midsummer for a couple hours.... if then. Now, using clutch/gas to hold it on a hill is a different story.

Personally, I pop it into neutral for LONG lights (>2 minutes), otherwise I leave it in gear or in park.