GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: Spec Stage 3 Clutch and Steel Flywheel for MK6 Golf R

Tecni

Ready to race!
Item: Spec Stage 3 Clutch and Steel Flywheel

Vehicle mileage on installation: 30,000 mi

Tune: APR Stage 2+. OEM clutch has been slipping since vehicle had 300 mi on the clock.

Installation notes: This is a tedious task. Be prepared to take off the drive shaft, front axles, down pipe, buy an engine support bar from harbor freight, a tranny jack… etc etc. Total install time was about 10 hrs without a lift. Taking the transfer case off is optional and so is the aluminum subframe but we did neither. It just takes some careful maneuvering to get the whole tranny/transfer case assay off. I suggest you inspect your xfer case as I found mine to be leaking.

Clutch Chatter: Chatter at idle is pretty bad… I've already had people ask me what's wrong with my car. I'm used to it since I had SMF flywheels on other cars in the past but be prepared to get weird looks, alarmed friends and family members.

Engagement: Clutch engagement is found near the top of the pedal and since it is a puck clutch, when you begin engagement, you will feel as the segments begin to grip and release. This takes a while to get used to and it can feel very jerky off the line.

Pedal effort: Pedal effort is increased quite a bit. You will feel the extra effort needed to press down on the pedal but after just a few days, I'm having no trouble daily-driving the car.

Gear noise: Yes! You will notice your car will have added cabin noise due to the lack of dampening capabilities provided by a dual mass flywheel. Especially on acceleration and deceleration, your car will sound much more "mechanical".

Concerns: I was 50mi into the break in process and had been babying the clutch. I went to pass a car on 6th gear and the torque curve caught me by surprise as I began to feel the clutch slipping. I was under the impression that since the clutch is rated for 500 TQ, it would be nearly impossible to slip under cruising conditions but it did. Of course, the clutch was still under the brake-in period where the disk material transfers to the FW so its too soon to draw any conclusions from that incident. I have 300 miles on the clutch thus far but will be testing it under greater loads once the indicated 500 mi break-in is reached.

Verdict: Yeah, it holds -----------> Video http://youtu.be/wE0S3qC-EaQ

Last edited: