GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 KIA Forte5 SX or 2013 VW GTi Drivers Edition?

PLP

I am coming to dilemma...

Both cars are used.
GTI with 20k miles for $19k (or less), Forte5 with 2k miles for $16k.
First the numbers:
KIA 1.6T, 195 lb.-ft. @ 1,750 - 4,500 rpm, 201 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 6 sp M/T
Base Curb Weight: 2912 lb
GTI 2.0T, 207 lb.-ft. @ 1,800 - 5,000 rpm, 200 hp @ 5,100 - 6,000 rpm,
6 sp M/T
Base Curb Weight: 3113 lb

So basically on paper they are almost same. Similar weight, basically same power...
The difference is equipment, price, and warranty.
I like sunroof in GTI, heated leather seats, HID headlights, XDS, and some other nice features.
KIA, though, still has 4 years of bumper to bumper warranty.
But GTI is GTI...

As for look - well, that's semantics.

The main problem I have now is test drive. There is no Forte5 SX near and local dealer is not willing to bring one.

Hence the question - which one would you pick and has any of you ever DRIVEN both cars to say how you liked it?

Some pics, no need to show GTI I guess...

Attachments

• forte 1.jpg
    forte 1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,560
  • forte 2.jpg
    forte 2.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 2,606
  • forte 3.jpg
    forte 3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,374
  • forte 4.jpg
    forte 4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,467
  • forte 5.jpg
    forte 5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,447
Last edited:

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
They may be the same or close on paper, but that KIA is a very cheaply built car. I'm sure it doesn't have the quality of a GTI. I'm confused as too why you are even looking at a KIA. Good luck, but it is really an easy choice GTI.

Jaber

Modero
They may be the same or close on paper, but that KIA is a very cheaply built car. I'm sure it doesn't have the quality of a GTI. I'm confused as too why you are even looking at a KIA. Good luck, but it is really an easy choice GTI.

KIAs have come a long way. And Hyundai's as well. Can't beat their warranty. In some cases, think I've seen them be more reliable than GTIs :lol:

But on paper they could be the same, but drive way different, will agree. Also if OP plans on modding, that could change everything as well.

OP, have you tried visiting their forums for feedback on reliability and what to look out for?

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Never driven the Kia but I really doubt its as fun as the GTI... the Kia maybe more reliable but so are many other cars. Its a trade off when you're going german

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
You really have to drive both to make the best decision here... We're all going to be biased on this forum, but I do truly think the GTI will be the better car overall.

If you don't plan on modding either car, then definitely it's the driving experience and warranty.

PLP

Thanks everyone for replies.

How reliable is GTI? Any major issues except water pump? I read about grind/jerk when shifting 1-2. Normal for Hyundai as well...

KIAs have come a long way. And Hyundai's as well. Can't beat their warranty. In some cases, think I've seen them be more reliable than GTIs :lol:

But on paper they could be the same, but drive way different, will agree. Also if OP plans on modding, that could change everything as well.

OP, have you tried visiting their forums for feedback on reliability and what to look out for?

You see, [mention]ashchuckton[/mention]and [mention]Jaber[/mention], I own KIA (2007 KIA Rondo, 2.7 V6) and I have had two Elantras so far.
Basically nothing really wrong with them. Sure, they seem cheaper in many aspects, but they pay back with relatively many gadgets.
Never had any major issue with either one besides issues created by... service folks.

[mention]lilfleck[/mention] I wish driving both was possible. The nearest one is about 100 miles one way. KIA dealer is not cooperative in this matter - unless I decide to buy one they are not bringing it.
As for modding - I know that. KIA gives you basically no room for anything. Plus there are no aftermarket parts for them. VW - that's completely different story.

[mention]iGTI[/mention] I used to have German cars. I'm from Poland. I know my cars. I repair them. Before going for service or repair - I know what must be done. Sometimes I laugh, other times I am mad seeing what some folks (service dept) do.

Going back to paper.

How come 1.6 gets almost same results as 2.0? It seems like it is already Stage 2 :).

I also asked this question on KIA forum. They are slightly biased. Here is more VW, there is more "practical" view. However, all admit that GTi will be more fun to drive.

EDIT.
I see mention does not work here...

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
If you have someone you can give that kia to in 5 years or so get it
Get the GTI and at least you can sell it

PLP

If you have someone you can give that kia to in 5 years or so get it
Get the GTI and at least you can sell it

You know, that's a very good point that I was debating on as well. Seeing how little interest is in Forte5 SX, I am afraid it might be hard to sell later on...

Paytrose

Ready to race!
This is not really related to the Kia Forte, but before buying the GTI, I test drove a Veloster Turbo. The Veloster was a big disappointment for a turbo'd car. There was little to no torque and drove like a regular sedan. The GTI was infinitely better than the Veloster. Reason why I'm bringing this up is as many of you may know, Kia and Hyundai are sister companies so cars are probably built similarly. I would stay away from Kia and Hyundai if you are looking for a tuner.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
Thanks everyone for replies.

How reliable is GTI? Any major issues except water pump? I read about grind/jerk when shifting 1-2. Normal for Hyundai as well...

No jerk from 1st to 2nd...thats normally just driver error. Also GTI has DSG which is one of the best trannies :p you can get in a car this price.

Water pump issues are a major concern however VWoA has already declared coverage for the majority of us. I'm personally on my 4th however Ive paid very little out of pocket luckily while outside of warranty.

matty mk6

well what are you looking for, a cheaper car thats just easy to keep up with or high quality that performs and feels amazing, trust me, in my research before i got my mk6, those HP figures mean jack shit. i tried a kia forte koup turbo and compaired to a gti it feels slow. trust me if you want qauility and performance get the GTI. if you dont feel like paying more than than the sticker price for anything after just get the kia

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Don't let paper numbers fool you.

With performance in mind, I doubt the Kia could out run a base Golf.

And, in the real world, the Kia would be more in line with an Abarth or MAYBE (HUGE MAYBE) a Fiesta ST.

Last edited:

fastmk6

Ready to race!
The biggest knock on the Kia is the handling. Decent in a straight line, but sloppy in anything else.