GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Clowning Around

clownish

just clowning around
Once a year Pikes Peak opens at 4:15 AM so that you can drive up to the summit and see the sun rise. This year 3 mk6s drove ~3000 mi round trip to witness / take some Colorado parks in.

Summit of Pikes Peak

We hit a bunch of towns and parks, including Boulder, Veil, Aspen, Manitoui Springs, Leadville, Colorado Springs, Breckinridge, Glenwood Springs, etc. Stopped at seven breweries also. Long drives, awesome views, cool hiking. All with 2 GTIs and a Golf R caravanning everywhere.

Gassing before driving up Pikes Peak

Garden of the Gods

The view of Pikes Peak from Garden of the Gods

The bathroom at Pikes Peak summit [emoji849]

Just outside Leadville

From the summit of Mt Evans - highest point you can drive to in the US @ 14,000 ft if I'm right. If not, it's still super high and the road was not great - hairpins, switch backs, narrow sheer drops with no run off. CraZy to drive up and we drove down in the dark so it was insane.

23 hours there and 23 back including stops. But continuously driving. Weird to be coming into town at 9am today.

Random rest stop in Iowa? Or Indiana. I don't remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
Car is just sitting in storage waiting for nice weather. Since it rained a ton I tried to start it and had to replace the battery. ~$120 with a coupon and core return from Autozone was pretty decently priced, I feel like. Got the battery with more cold cranking amperage since it was cheaper.

Some bodywork coming up soon I think. Front end is bothering me and I still have a few body parts to put on. Fog covers, also got some side skirts and a few minor odds and ends. One large gorge in the paint that was my fault - still haven't fixed it because it'll be a respray on the whole thing.

clownish

just clowning around
$19 for a PDR guy to homie hook up and remove a fender dent that someone created less than a week after I removed the car from storage. Thankful and happy.

Oil change after storage. Contemplating doing a brake fluid flush.

Votex Rep sideskirts from my buddy who upgraded to a '16 4 series BMW. I scavenged his led turn signals and his side skirts [emoji23]

Also hit another mileage milestone. sigh.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Ordered new wheels. Much excite. Never before have I ever gotten something like this. Spending tires now though who am I kidding I’ll probably just get hankook rs4s.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
love the wheels OP!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
What wheels are the current ones?

In for new wheels

clownish

just clowning around
Nice shot of your car there.
Cant wait to see the new wheels.

They should be cool. A tiny bit different I hope.

Yea this picture was from Fatmans Invasion few weeks ago at Thompson. This weekend there’s a small meet and then a test and tune about 2 hours from Cleveland I’m thinking of going to. Frank Mabo is going to be there, have been curious about the turbos he’s been using / his eurodyne tuning.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
This thread deserves tags. Wow that detailed 1st post with all the parts and dates. 10/10

sub'd

clownish

just clowning around
Got some new spark plugs and tossed in.

New lugs are here. Tires and wheels arrived. Billet caps, metal valve stems, the works. Warehouse forgot to include my centering rings - of course - even though I specifically asked about them when confirming invoice. Got a tracking number for them 15 minutes after I emailed to complain so that’s good.

Off to ceramic coating soon.

Test fitting worked out perfectly. They clear real nicely.

clownish

just clowning around
Nice tires, im loving mine . Cant wait to see post ceramic coat

After so many rs3 tires I had to try the new compound. I was tempted by the Michelin pilot sport cup 2s but in the end the cost wasn’t worth it to me. This time...

McGard Black plated lugs 2 piece with threads coated. A little nicer than the standard lugs I usually get.

Also checked out Midnight Garage and Rennline stud kits. Both seem like they’d corrode after a year or so being on the car. I’d like to find a nice stud set maybe coated in something that won’t rust as quickly and get some cool nuts for them.