GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

periodic suspension maintenance?

pashley

Ready to race!
Hey all. I installed ST X coilovers about 3 years ago. At the time I also installed 034 strut mounts with new bearings. Over the last few months, I've noticed that when I drive the car in the morning going slow out of my neighborhood I get some serious squeaking and creaking coming from the from suspension areas (both sides). It gradually goes away as I drive the car more, but once the car is off for a while, it comes back. So my question: is there some recommended maintenance schedule for suspension parts? I was going to just live with the noises, but it has become really loud and my car sounds like some jalopy despite the thousands I've put into it. Car drives well and performs fine, just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue and if there's some maintenance I should be doing here. Thanks.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
How many miles on the suspension now, btw?

It's probably the mounts (notorious for making noise)
I'd swap out the mounts for some TT ones instead (with some new bearings again) and that should resolve it.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, the mounts and bearings start getting tired after 50k-60k miles.

I'm on ECS HD mounts, and they started making a bunch of noise after 25k. As soon as the rain stops, I'm swapping back to OEM.

Last edited:

pashley

Ready to race!
Yeah the suspension and mounts have about 25k on them. Maybe time to swap them out. I'll start there. Thanks.

the1bill1

I'd give everything in there a good look. Bushings can make some horrific noises, and I've experienced this with sway bar bushings. Might as well inspect the end links while you're in there. I give most every bushing a pry when I'm under there, too, especially those that are on control arms.

So many moving parts, so many opportunities for wear and noise.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I had my car up in the air yesterday, and one of my ECS mounts squeaked like crazy just from grabbing the strut and moving it; no wonder my car was so noisy. I also had Lemforder ball joints that had gone bad after 20k miles and were making a bunch of noise.

It's all back together with genuine VW parts and perfectly quiet now. Lesson learned - for these types of parts, nothing beats OEM.

pashley

Ready to race!
I had my car up in the air yesterday, and one of my ECS mounts squeaked like crazy just from grabbing the strut and moving it; no wonder my car was so noisy. I also had Lemforder ball joints that had gone bad after 20k miles and were making a bunch of noise.

It's all back together with genuine VW parts and perfectly quiet now. Lesson learned - for these types of parts, nothing beats OEM.

Yeah I'm going to have my shop take a look when I bring it in for my DSG oil change in a month or so. If it looks like those suspension parts are the culprits, I will definitely be going back to OEM.