GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NCSUGray90's 2011 Titan Black GTI

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Finally fixed my damn sunglass holder today. It's been refusing to close for the last few weeks, so I took it out, removed the little helper spring from behind the latch button, and it's good as new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
So I installed my boost gauge today. First of all I must say that I'm not a huge fan at all of the quality of the NewSouth parts I got. The boost tap looked to be a pretty much stock pipe with some foam around it and a poorly tapped hole drilled in. Im not using the extra tap point, but it still bothered me that there were plastic barbs sticking from where it was tapped. Secondly, the gauge pod. The thing barely fit inside my vent, and didnt lock in at all. Im pretty sure if I pushed on my gauge it would just take the entire thing into the vent at this point.

Anyway, onto the install.

First things first, had to remove the battery. Thats pretty basic, so lets skip past it.

First thing I did was to swap in the boost tap hose with the boost line attached.

I'll go over details for wiring later as I didnt do it today. God dark on me too fast.

Anywho, to remove the vent, just pry at the bottom. A lot of people say to push from behind as well, but I wasnt really able to get at it from behind, so I had to just pry until it came loose. Once you get the vent out, there are tabs around the front that are super easy to pop off. Once you do so you should have the vent in 3 pieces like so:

Now, we still need to get those inner vents out so we can actually fit the gauge in. There are 4 small clips around the middle of the vent where it steps down. Push on these while prying on the corresponding corner to pop out the left-right directional vents

Now for the fun part. Rip or carefully cut a small hole in the boot of the wiring harness at the firewall behind the battery to feed your boost hose through. This was probably the most frustrating part for me as I dont have particularly small hands and I was unable to remove the entire battery tray.

Here is a small tip on routing the wires and hose if you dont have a drill like me. First, take a small knife and make a tine hole in the plastic of the vent. This doenst take long as the plastic is pretty soft.

Then, take a phillips head and round out the hole until it goes through. This makes the perfect size hole for the hose provided

Pop everything together and now you have an awesome boost gauge!

I still want to go through and shave down the NewSouth pod to make it fit better and wire in the lights, So I'll try and go back through and get more pictures to explain the process a bit better.

Last edited:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Finally put my H&R Super Sport springs on last night. The front right took 4 hours. The other three took about 45 min since we figured out what we were doing, lol.

I'm about to run to get an alignment, I'll put up more pics in a bit

Edit:

Back from alignment. Shop wanted to charge me 3 hours to adjust the front camber via subframe, but said it wasn't out far enough to affect ride quality or tire wear ( something like 0.2 degrees camber off) so I passed on that. They did get everything else lined up properly though and I must say these H&Rs are PERFECT. Not too much drop, and very minimal difference in ride stiffness until I corner hard, then there is much less body roll. Yaaaaay progressive springs!

Pics:

Front gap:

Rear gap:

Only issue is I may have to take off my mud flaps cause they scape over speed bumps. We shall see.

Last edited:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Painting my engine cover tonight, decided to try out some cheap mods.

Here it is after the first coat of Krylon Fusion Satin black:

I'll probably do 1 or 2 more coats. If it stands out too much from the battery and fuse covers then I should have enough left to give them a coat or two as well

Edit: snapped a pic of the cover on the car before work today, turned out great! It does stand out a little, so I'll probably hit up some other parts other than the intake, cause that's not staying around for too long anyway [emoji16]

Last edited:

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
I love painted engine covers!

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I love painted engine covers!

Same here! I always hated the tan part, and after seeing the one for the new MK7's I couldn't live with it anymore. Just put it on the car, and it stands out a bit, so I may hit the battery and fuse cover this weekend. Very happy with how it turned out for a $4 can of paint, haha!

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Same here! I always hated the tan part, and after seeing the one for the new MK7's I couldn't live with it anymore. Just put it on the car, and it stands out a bit, so I may hit the battery and fuse cover this weekend. Very happy with how it turned out for a $4 can of paint, haha!

Hell yeah! Such a simple yet awesome change in the engine bay.

I had some fun with mine too lol

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Went to Dubs for a Cause in Apex today and snapped a few pics. Figured I'd show some of the ones I touched up a little on here.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Dropped my car off at Henry's Muffler here in Raleigh to get a custom 3" exhaust run with 4" tips. Guys there told me I should have it back by this afternoon! I'll update later how the exhaust sounds and probably edit my earlier comparison video to show all 3 exhausts back to back.

More than anything I'm stoked cause I'll have a full 3" TBE for less than a third of the price of most of those for sale! (Lookin' at you APR :p)

Teaser shot:

Last edited:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Exhaust (Finally)

So here is a video comparing a quick 1st gear pull of the exhaust setups I've had so far.

\

This wasn't too cheap, so I'll probably not be doing much more to my car for a while. Need to recoup the costs some.

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Dropped my car off at Henry's Muffler here in Raleigh to get a custom 3" exhaust run with 4" tips. Guys there told me I should have it back by this afternoon! I'll update later how the exhaust sounds and probably edit my earlier comparison video to show all 3 exhausts back to back.

More than anything I'm stoked cause I'll have a full 3" TBE for less than a third of the price of most of those for sale! (Lookin' at you APR :p)

Teaser shot:

Looks good! Ive been toying with the idea of different tips but im not sure what id go with.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Looks good! Ive been toying with the idea of different tips but im not sure what id go with.

Thanks man! In my opinion a 4" tip is perfect. Set up a little higher than stock to help fill that hole. I obviously like the rolled tips with a slight chamfer, but 4" is definitely the way to go. Not that I'm biased or anything, lol

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man! In my opinion a 4" tip is perfect. Set up a little higher than stock to help fill that hole. I obviously like the rolled tips with a slight chamfer, but 4" is definitely the way to go. Not that I'm biased or anything, lol

Yeah I have 4 inch now. Atleast I believe thats what my Borlas are. Just feel like changing things up is all lol

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Ah, got your build thread finally! :)

The drops looks pretty perfect on the car:thumbsup:

Had a question for you. Do you have to replace the shocks if you plan to go with the H&R SS? How were the stock ones before you went to Koni?

I have actually not gone with the Koni's yet, and the drive feels great. It is definitely more firm than stock, but it's really not bad. I'll end up doing the Konis sometime next year once I start getting more into track days and autocrossing. Everyone says they you will eventually blow your shocks out with lowering springs, but some people claim having gone 50,000+ miles before having to do so.

Glad you like the drop! I have several more performance oriented mods to do before I start worrying much about aesthetics, but then I'll have your car to catch up to, especially with those sexy depo's you're running [emoji43]