GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

max boost psi with APR stage 1 tune

pashley

Ready to race!
Hey all...I'm APR stage 1 with some added bolt-ons. Just got my ECS boost guage installed last weekend and have been doing some test pulls. I max out around 17psi, but more generally around 15psi. Just wondering what others have experienced re: max boost psi with their stage 1 tune.

fastmk6

Ready to race!
I see those exact same numbers. Ive seen 17, but most of the time it maxes at 15.

TesseracT

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds spot on. Here's a ss from my APR Mobile log I took a few nights ago.

Spooled24

Ready to race!
Hey all...I'm APR stage 1 with some added bolt-ons. Just got my ECS boost guage installed last weekend and have been doing some test pulls. I max out around 17psi, but more generally around 15psi. Just wondering what others have experienced re: max boost psi with their stage 1 tune.

I was running my car a little harder than I usually do today. I peaked at 20PSI and I can hold at about 17. I am on APR stage 1 Beta Tune!

Last edited:

alr GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Stage 1 boost over 6 months of logs

I was flashed to APR Stage 1 in November of 2013, I purchased a APR Mobile dongle in December of 2013. Based on 12 logging sessions over that 5 months. Max Boost PSI = 18.773, Average Boost PSI of those 12 sessions = 17.938.

After upgrading to Stage II on May 2nd my boost increased by 2 PSI over 10
logging sessons.

I am in San Diego at sea level with average humidity. which may help the boost.

ALR

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I was flashed to APR Stage 1 in November of 2013, I purchased a APR Mobile dongle in December of 2013. Based on 12 logging sessions over that 5 months. Max Boost PSI = 18.773, Average Boost PSI of those 12 sessions = 17.938.

After upgrading to Stage II on May 2nd my boost increased by 2 PSI over 10
logging sessons.

I am in San Diego at sea level with average humidity. which may help the boost.

ALR

but thats not actual boost? you dont have a tap and gauge correct?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I do not have a tap, my readings are using the APR Mobile dongle.

It sounds like you think the readings from the ECU are incorrect. Pleas explain.

ALR

they aren't actual boost numbers its just estimating or showing you requested boost

alr GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
they aren't actual boost numbers its just estimating or showing you requested boost

Arn't the boost numbers measured by the ECU the numbers used by the ECU to regulate the fuel/air mixture and the spark advance.

Is the boost info used by APR for their tune to avoid over boost?

The APR mobile boost numbers rarely match the requested boost.

What accuracy do the after market boost gauges provide?

ALR

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
The readings with VCDS/Mobile is off the MAP sensor, which is very accurate.

To get PSI do the following:

1. Start car with engine off and check boost actual, write the value down (i.e. 900mbar), this is the current atmospheric pressure in your location and time.

2. Use equation:

Boost PSI = (Boost mbar - atmospheric pressure mbar) *0.0145

Your gauge and above values should read the same.

Note: If you boost over 22psi, the ECU, and hence logs, won't see these values with the stock GTI 1.5bar (~22psi) MAP sensor. APR K04 cars will have a 3bar map sensor included, which solves this issue.

alr GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
The readings with VCDS/Mobile is off the MAP sensor, which is very accurate.

To get PSI do the following:

1. Start car with engine off and check boost actual, write the value down (i.e. 900mbar), this is the current atmospheric pressure in your location and time.

2. Use equation:

Boost PSI = (Boost mbar - atmospheric pressure mbar) *0.0145

Your gauge and above values should read the same.

Note: If you boost over 22psi, the ECU, and hence logs, won't see these values with the stock GTI 1.5bar (~22psi) MAP sensor. APR K04 cars will have a 3bar map sensor included, which solves this issue.

I saw a post from Sean of APR described this procedure for calculating I've conversion from mBar from the Mobile app to PSI. I had not seen a discussion about the accuracy of the readings. I seemed to me the ECU would need to be accurate in order to properly manage the operation of the engine. About a month ago I had a boost leak with CEL indicating low boost pressure. The ECU detected the issue and turned on the light.

Alr