GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Sway Bar Upgrade

Mensurpj1

Ready to race!
What brand are you running and how do you like it? I see the ST Sway bar going for 180$ is it any good?

xpystchrisx

GTI Enthusiast
Running an H&R 26mm. It came with zero maintenance bushings and for the most part it has been absolutely quiet. Install was easy and I had it done by myself with hand tools in about an hour.
As far as driving, it was a mistake to buy it without having dampers that could handle the increased spring rate from the bar. Adding just the bar alone made the car noticeably unbalanced in the rear. Driving the car at an autocross with just the rear bar simply resulted in a disconnected handling front to back. The front felt vague and the back felt sharp. Not a good feel.
After I purchased the coil overs the bar was better controlled and the front and rear suspension responds in sync now. There is enough flex in the chassis and the coil overs have tender springs which provide 3 inches of wiggle room when I need to scale uneven driveways. I have yet to do an autocross on the suspension and am going to get aligned and corner balanced this weekend.
Overall I must say that swapping the bar out and expecting a massive change is going to be more to do with cognitive dissonance than real improvement. It was the combination of the coils, LCA bushings, deadset kit, and rsb that changed things.

Last edited:

plumpzz

Ready to race!
Running an H&R 26mm. It came with zero maintenance bushings and for the most part it has been absolutely quiet. Install was easy and I had it done by myself with hand tools in about an hour.
As far as driving, it was a mistake to buy it without having dampers that could handle the increased spring rate from the bar. Adding just the bar alone made the car noticeably unbalanced in the rear. Driving the car at an autocross with just the rear bar simply resulted in a disconnected handling front to back. The front felt vague and the back felt sharp. Not a good feel.
After I purchased the coil overs the bar was better controlled and the front and rear suspension responds in sync now. There is enough flex in the chassis and the coil overs have tender springs which provide 3 inches of wiggle room when I need to scale uneven driveways. I have yet to do an autocross on the suspension and am going to get aligned and corner balanced this weekend.
Overall I must say that swapping the bar out and expecting a massive change is going to be more to do with cognitive dissonance than real improvement. It was the combination of the coils, LCA bushings, deadset kit, and rsb that changed things.

That's pretty much with all cars. You're way better off getting quality coils and a deadset kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
My neuspeed was before that time so i unbolt the bushings to grease them. New bushings they sell and the hnr bar i think also has those zerk bushings where you can pump the grease into the bushing. Cool stuff

Sent from phone Tapa

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
My neuspeed was before that time so i unbolt the bushings to grease them. New bushings they sell and the hnr bar i think also has those zerk bushings where you can pump the grease into the bushing. Cool stuff

Sent from phone Tapa

Yeah thats whats I got. The little zerk fittings make it so easy.