GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent clutch chatter

addictedtogum

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2013 5-speed Golf 2.5L 34kmi. Around 4 months ago i noticed that when shift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, there is some chatter/vibration coming from what i assume is the clutch/tranny right at the bite point of the clutch. its been getting progressively worse and its at a point where i can hear the spare change rattle in the cup holder. its intermittent though, doesn't happen everyday. was bad yesterday, and nothing coming into work this morning

Mabbonizio1

Passed Driver's Ed
1. your car doesn't have a dual mass flywheel

2. perfectly normal, these clutches are noisy. don't worry about it.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
1. your car doesn't have a dual mass flywheel

2. perfectly normal, these clutches are noisy. don't worry about it.

Pretty sure it has a dual mass flywheel. Pretty sure all mk6 VW's have a dual mass flywheel.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Honestly, I think you might have an issue. I haven't experienced that kind of vibration. Maybe you're shifting too early. Might I know you shift gear at which RPM approximately ?

And yes it's a dual mass flywheel and my clutch isn't noisy at all. Borrow the car of your friend who have a single mass flywheel and you will notice a difference. Down shift with your car and you will see it's a dual mass flywheel.

There is also conversion kit for 2.5: http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk52dumaflco.html

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If the car is under warranty, get a VW Dealer to check it out you could save yourself a costly repair.

Last edited:

Mabbonizio1

Passed Driver's Ed
hmmm... vw dealer told me it was a single mass unit when they replaced my whole clutch system for chattering. chatter came back promptly and has been there since 5k miles. i'm at 85k now.

Also.. the above screen shots says in red : for vehicles up to 2010

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
hmmm... vw dealer told me it was a single mass unit when they replaced my whole clutch system for chattering. chatter came back promptly and has been there since 5k miles. i'm at 85k now.

Yep and the bottom one says after 2010. All dmf's. No smf 's listed.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!

Are you the first owner ? If not, maybe the last owner did buy a conversion kit. If he did, then it's nice for you since it costs less to maintain a single mass flywheel system. I have read dual-mass flywheel break less often than a single mass flywheel, but it cost more to repair a dual mass flywheel system.

Mabbonizio1

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you the first owner ? If not, maybe the last owner did buy a conversion kit. If he did, then it's nice for you since it costs less to maintain a single mass flywheel system. I have read dual-mass flywheel break less often than a single mass flywheel, but it cost more to repair a dual mass flywheel system.

yep, bought the car brand new.

Maybe the dealer was wrong?

:ion:

just kinda weird since they had it all apart

george241312

Honestly, I think you might have an issue. I haven't experienced that kind of vibration. Maybe you're shifting too early. Might I know you shift gear at which RPM approximately ?

And yes it's a dual mass flywheel and my clutch isn't noisy at all. Borrow the car of your friend who have a single mass flywheel and you will notice a difference. Down shift with your car and you will see it's a dual mass flywheel.

There is also conversion kit for 2.5: http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk52dumaflco.html

Do you know if this conversion kit works for a 2012 mk6 golf 2.5l manual ?
because it says only up to 2010 mk6