GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$10k big turbo budget or k04

zerolimits1

So just start with, ive searched and searched and still... no avail.
just want some opinions on how to spend my money, mods close this thread if need be, i know some might hate this thread.

so im looking for 400whp or close to there and have $10000 to get there, this is my daily driver and all i have right now is a CTS intake.. im stationed in GTMO cuba so all i got is time and money to save... if i can get there for under 10k that would be great, i dont have to spend every penny , just looking for some options and path of least resistance, stage 3 from APR looks nice but i only have access to 93 gas. period. oh and save a little of that 10k for some new wheels and tires. thanks and like i said mods, if this needs to be moved or deleted i get it.

just a few things, im a 2013 dsg GTI. like i said, only CTS intake.

Last edited:

Jaber

Modero
i'd say go k04 and put the rest of the 10k into other mods like suspension, brakes etc.

Agree.

If you don't do the work yourself, it will add up quickly. With Stage 3, I also figure you'd need to budget some cash aside for troubleshooting any issues that may come up or parts that need to be changed.

zerolimits1

its a thought.... coilovers and a k04 and some nice wheels... call it a day, just seeing if i can get closer to 400 whp under 10... came from an Evolution 8 before this and had right at 400 obviously that a big platform difference, but 400 or thereabouts is my magic number.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
It all depends on what route you really want to take.

You could do APR's stage 3 GTX28 kit and be pretty "close" to 400whp. I think most are making arounf 380 or so. This comes with quick spool and a good DD turbo. The kit itself is around 6k.

You could use a CTS kit (GTX30 I believe) that's pieced together, and then a custom tune through DM. If you check the Big Turbo thread someone just did this and made over 400whp. This is slightly cheaper, will make more power, but you get much later spool.

There are other custom routes you can go to potentially make things cheaper. All in how much searching, researching and so forth you want to do.

Rods are recommended around 400whp, but there are many people running GT30's (APR's old stage 3+) with stock bottom ends with no issue. I don't even think anyone has ever broken a rod on a TSI. It's a gamble.

Truthfully, I have a K04, and in my opinion is the best setup for this platform. ~330whp on pump gas with an OEM Borg Warner turbo. Bolt it in and go. No piecing anything together. No custom anything. No issues, AT ALL. I have over 55k on my K04 kit, including a bunch of passes down the dragstrip with no issues. And the best part...it's only like $2500 bucks. So in reality, you are spending over 3k LESS, with no issues or forscene problems, but with 50+ less whp.

Not sure what your plans are for this car, but wheelspin sucks. The only thing the bigger turbos are good for are doing highway rolls for 60 to 150. You can't launch it, and it spins all over. Like I said, I don't know what your plans are, but I really don't think BT is worth it. I love my K04, and even though I'm not out beating super cars, it's faster than most of what you see on the road on a daily basis.

Just a note to how much drag racing sucks with a FWD, if that's what you would be planning to participate in... If you look at the thread about 509whp problems, that person is making a ton of power on a FWD GTI. Yesterday, I pulled off a time a full second faster than what he did, with a RWD car that probably makes half of that power. Just somehting to keep in mind. K04 is a great balance.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
So just start with, ive searched and searched and still... no avail.
just want some opinions on how to spend my money, mods close this thread if need be, i know some might hate this thread.

so im looking for 400whp or close to there and have $10000 to get there, this is my daily driver and all i have right now is a CTS intake.. im stationed in GTMO cuba so all i got is time and money to save... if i can get there for under 10k that would be great, i dont have to spend every penny , just looking for some options and path of least resistance, stage 3 from APR looks nice but i only have access to 93 gas. period. oh and save a little of that 10k for some new wheels and tires. thanks and like i said mods, if this needs to be moved or deleted i get it.

just a few things, im a 2013 dsg GTI. like i said, only CTS intake.

If you want to go a lil cheaper route and dont care is there is a little lag you can do an atp oem location kit and hit 400whp with a gtx2867 or a gt3071. Or wait a lil and get it with the gtx2871 (best option IMO).

2867 link but you can wait for the 2871.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-VVW-287&Category_Code=FSI

~$2800 for the kit then tune $900 for uni, $150 dv relocate (dont do the dv+), $1200-1500 TBE, $700 for a FMIC ~ $5500-5700 for the Big turbo option.

Stock location would allow you to build a little slower so you can get your turboback (same one you would use on stock turbo or ko4). Also you can do a UNI dv relocate.

With the ATP kit you can do an Oem fuel tune to start as well 360-370whp. Then you can do more if you want, build the motors and do fueling.

With the DSG just get a stage 2 DSG tune and you should be good, one nice thing about the dsg is that you spend half (for the tune) vs buying an upgraded clutch.

There are also other kits but for the budget minded person you still get power.

Last edited:

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
Figured I would do the breakdown

Unitronic K04 - $2,499.99
http://www.moddedeuros.com/products/unitronic-20-tsi-gen2-k04-kit

Unitronic FMIC or whatever you prefer - ~ $699.99 for Uni +/- other brands
http://www.moddedeuros.com/products/unitronic-2-dot-0-tsi-gen2-intercooler-kit-mk5-mk6

GFB DV+ - $134.10
Much more noticeable change on modded/k04 cars. Pretty much the most popular mod selling in a while.
http://www.moddedeuros.com/products/go-fast-bits-dv-diverter-valve-2-0t-fsi-tsi-engines

Than you will need to address the exhaust and either you go downpipe/catback or turboback. Since you are a dd guessing you will go the catted route.

Downpipe - Pricing is all over. You could go as low as $500 or up near $900 for a downpipe.

CTS MK6 Downpipe $499.99
http://www.moddedeuros.com/products/cts-turbo-mk6-tsi-2-dot-0t-catted-fwd-downpipe-mk6-10-13

Unitronic - $659.99
http://www.moddedeuros.com/products/unitronic-20-tsi-gen2-3-inch-downpipe-UH009-EXA

Catbacks - Really gonna range here. As low as $650 or cheaper if you look at other setups or north of $1300

http://www.moddedeuros.com/volkswagen/golf-gti/mk6-10-13/exhaust/cat-back

The above puts you at around $5300 in parts before you even get to suspension. Next question would be are you doing install yourself or paying a shop as if you are looking to do all this at a shop that is gonna eat into your $10k budget a decent amount.

zerolimits1

hey *****2.0t i appreciate the good info. i was aware that fwd wheel spin is a B and im probably gonna go that route... but wondering if maybe 350 or 360whp is possible on a K04.. no drag racing for this one, broken transaxles and shredded tires on the evolution and i think ive learned my lesson... drag racing is a costly little hobby. just looking for a great daily driver... seems as though all i read is big turbo is a Bitch to get power to the ground... and since im DSG my research on diffs(waive or quaiff) equated me to thinking thats alot more money and longer install costs than i really want to get into

zerolimits1

modded euros, good questions... i can do some suspension work but most of the engine i will have to pay for... and tuning... looks like my 10k isnt going to as far as i thought and reliability is a definite factor here... sounds like big turbo is good for? well... leaning further and further away from big turbo

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
modded euros, good questions... i can do some suspension work but most of the engine i will have to pay for... and tuning... looks like my 10k isnt going to as far as i thought and reliability is a definite factor here... sounds like big turbo is good for? well... leaning further and further away from big turbo

You can do the ATP look at my post, and it will be reliable. Look at my post again, added some info. 400whp in FWD isnt that bad, go a little wider and grippier on the tires and add an LSD at a later date.

zerolimits1

hey u-20 thanks for the link, great info. that doesnt list 2013 GTI under the menu? any big differences?

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Or... Take this excess time that you have an piece together kits. Buy used exhaust and suspension, maybe a used low-mile k04? It'll really cut some major costs!

I picked up my CTS TBE (brand new, open box) for only 700! And my k04 for 1100 with only a few thousand miles. Easily pays for the installation with the money you save, and then you have more money for other modifications down the road.