GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

downpipe question

mike12

Passed Driver's Ed
i tried to search a bit but i found nothing i really was looking for.

i dont have the money to go stage 2 right now but i figure stage 1 and 2 cost about the same so when i go apr i wanna just jump straight to stage 2 my question is can i run a DP w/o the tune. i have a magnaflow CBE already and K&N intake. i know it will throw a code w.o the tune but can i run a defouler and be safe or no?

allset

Go Kart Champion
i tried to search a bit but i found nothing i really was looking for.

i dont have the money to go stage 2 right now but i figure stage 1 and 2 cost about the same so when i go apr i wanna just jump straight to stage 2 my question is can i run a DP w/o the tune. i have a magnaflow CBE already and K&N intake. i know it will throw a code w.o the tune but can i run a defouler and be safe or no?

if u mean run a 3" DP and high flow cat with stock tune, yes u can.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
Yes, You need an o2 Sensor Spacer. RAI and 42 Design Draft sell them. Try doing a search for "o2 Sensor Spacer". There is a lot of good threads on this subject.

Mindfields

Ready to race!
APR dealer told me that the upgrade for the progam from stage1 to 2 is free ... so do what i'm planning, get stage 1 then when u have $ buy DP & upgrade !

allset

Go Kart Champion
Yes, You need an o2 Sensor Spacer. RAI and 42 Design Draft sell them. Try doing a search for "o2 Sensor Spacer". There is a lot of good threads on this subject.

i have the UR DP with 200 cell metal cat ; it has a built in o2 spacer on all DP the sell for the mk6.

I was stage 2 for a year but recently needed a new ECU. So right now im OEM tune with the UR DP, after the ECU went in it took about 400 miles of driving but all readyness inducators passed and i passed NYS emissions. No CEL, I check it today still all readyness are passed. Kinda surprised, i expected at least 1 fail for the cat.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Ultimate Racing DP with 400 cell CAT: No spacers, No cel's, No tune.

Mine's been flawless..

allset

Go Kart Champion
Ultimate Racing DP with 400 cell CAT: No spacers, No cel's, No tune.

Mine's been flawless..

i know right? UR is great. they dont even advertise the built in spacer/no CEL thing. i was completely shocked to have full readyness with a stock tune and 200 cell cat.

mike12

Passed Driver's Ed
but running a DP with a cat would make it so you dont need a defouler or spacer thats common sense i was saying if i ran a catless DP can i use the spacer/defouler until i go stage 2. Also i think my local APR dealer said the upgrade to stage 2 is like 150 for some reason...labor? idk

allset

Go Kart Champion
but running a DP with a cat would make it so you dont need a defouler or spacer thats common sense i was saying if i ran a catless DP can i use the spacer/defouler until i go stage 2. Also i think my local APR dealer said the upgrade to stage 2 is like 150 for some reason...labor? idk

no , most DPs without spacers will thow CEL with cats of 200 cell even 400 cell sometimes. Alot still throw with spacers and usually the CEL comes and goes, i havent seen it yet. These are high flow cats with less platinum, palladium and iridium (the catylst that alters the chemistry of the exhaust, the ecu is expecting cleaner exhaust from the more dense oem cat , hence the CEL

mike12

Passed Driver's Ed
i was reading the other thread saying most people have use the middle sized jet on the RAI spacer and have had no problems so i may try that. im just asking cause i have no emissions in my part of VA but they will question a check light and i wanna run a catless DP cause theyre a little cheaper but i will seee

allset

Go Kart Champion
i was reading the other thread saying most people have use the middle sized jet on the RAI spacer and have had no problems so i may try that. im just asking cause i have no emissions in my part of VA but they will question a check light and i wanna run a catless DP cause theyre a little cheaper but i will seee

im not sure using a spacer in a dp with no cat will prevent a CEL, it may not be alble to compensate enough to fall in the parameters of the ecu but do some reseach, maybe it will

mike12

Passed Driver's Ed
what is the difference in the CBFA and CCTA downpipes. i was thinking of getting the Godspeed catless DP and then having a shop weld in a 400 cell ceramic 3" high flow cat and thats only 200+ in parts for a catted DP compared to buying the UR one...i know it sounds dumb but ive done this method on my old SRT-4 and it worked fine. only problem here is i can only find godspeed DP's in CCTA and i believe i have a CBFA

allset

Go Kart Champion
what is the difference in the CBFA and CCTA downpipes. i was thinking of getting the Godspeed catless DP and then having a shop weld in a 400 cell ceramic 3" high flow cat and thats only 200+ in parts for a catted DP compared to buying the UR one...i know it sounds dumb but ive done this method on my old SRT-4 and it worked fine. only problem here is i can only find godspeed DP's in CCTA and i believe i have a CBFA

cbfa has 3 o2 sensors

ccta has 2

cbfa has secodary breather

ccta has none