GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordered-Gulf R

zanyrsc

Ready to race!
question. do the R has the same 4 motion as the MK5 R32. that takes away all the power when you sliding. cuz as far as i know from people that had an MK4 32 and bought an MK5, that was a big complain. all wheel drive is suppose be fun to drive on snow conditions. and im not talking about the EPC. this was something with the halldex. Tiguans have this setup ,on the snow you can do anything but creep .

darian

Ready to race!
^^^ No the 2012 R has an all new Hadex Gen4 AWD system that is permanent 90-10% and can shift 100% of its power to the back wheels when needed. Also it has a different ESP computer (not like the mk6 GTI) that can be turned off completely.

UKGTI1

Ready to race!
There's not much of a real "order" unless they actually sign something.

I have a feeling we will be seeing some posts around Dec or Jan that say, "Dealer called and told me to come get the R, but the price was $37-$38K (premium trim, maybe $35-$36K base) , so I said hell no - wow, what a waste of my time!" yep....

Totally agree. I don't understand why you would order a bloody car without knowing the exact price anyway. It just doesn't make any sense and I am still 100% convinced that the R will be going for a lot more than MSRP once they hit the lots, order or not.

The problem with the R, as we have discussed before, is that the more you think about it, the less it makes sense.

MarvinBen

Passed Driver's Ed
We put a deposit on our R on 5/7/2011. Our order configuration was submitted in late Sept 2011 (4-dr.,Carbon Steel Grey, Sunroof &Navigation). Today I found out the following. Vehicle was released to the manufacture on 9/27 (means it was selected to be built). Released to production on 10/27 to be built in November. Estimated shipping date 12/1/2011. Estimated arrival date 12/16 and is scheduled to be released to the carrier during the week of 12/28. They estimate it will arrive at the dealership (VW of South Charlotte) during the week of 1/9/2012. Ours will be one of the first 600 imported to the US.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
haha, Here's some more for ya...

Golf - golf strom = gulf stream
Jetta - jett strom = jet stream
Scirocco - another prevailing wind in the mediterranean
Passat - the German word for "trade wind"
Bora - Another European wind, or they just stole it from Maserati)
Lupo - Italian word for "wolf" as in Wolfsburg
Touareg - named after a group of nomadic peoples in Africa

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle. :thumbsup:

LOL Like the Pagani "Zonda", which is named after a wind storm that hits Argentina every year on the north of the country.

staynhome29

Ready to race!
37-38k for a new golf R? i mean im a huge vw fan but is it really worth it? also what kind of hp/tq it comes standard with?

At that price range, buy a STI or EVOX. You're throwing away money at that price point.

I'd rather have a FWD GTI with Stage 3/lsd/clutch/coilovers over a base Golf R.

My 2 cents.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
At that price range, buy a STI or EVOX. You're throwing away money at that price point.

I'd rather have a FWD GTI with Stage 3/lsd/clutch/coilovers over a base Golf R.

My 2 cents.

FWD is far more than traction problems in straight line, you basically steer and put power down with the same wheels, the more i think about it, there is no way i would even go K04 anymore.

^^^ No the 2012 R has an all new Hadex Gen4 AWD system that is permanent 90-10% and can shift 100% of its power to the back wheels when needed. Also it has a different ESP computer (not like the mk6 GTI) that can be turned off completely.

I hope that's true, if it is, that car might be mine oneday.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
FWD is far more than traction problems in straight line, you basically steer and put power down with the same wheels, the more i think about it, there is no way i would even go K04 anymore.

technically true, yes - but when you track the car, you can feather the throttle or go in very easy and then power out. You just have to adjust driving style - same goes if you jump from a rwd car to an awd car (mash the pedal! lol). With the XDS , this car is pretty easy to drive on a track compared to other FWD cars.

As for the R - has that been confirmed that you can completely turn it off - I thought that was not the case.