GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

should I have been required to pay for this?

motojdm

Ready to race!
I recently purchased a used 2012 gti. When I was finalizing my paperwork with the financial guy at the dealership he told me that the vehicle came with a gps tracking system that I would be required to pay for at a cost of $395. I'm assuming it was an option that the previous vehicle owner chose but if it was something that I was not interested in having should I still be required to pay for it?

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
Tell them NO! and you want it removed. Also don't fall for the VIN etching "fee". None of these fees are *required* but most consumers don't know any better....

Actually the vin etching saves me 10% on my insurance every year, more than paid for itself in the first year, and puts money in my pocket every year after. And yes I called the insurance company before agreeing to it.

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
Tell them NO! and you want it removed. Also don't fall for the VIN etching "fee". None of these fees are *required* but most consumers don't know any better....

Actually the vin etching saves me 10% on my insurance every year, more than paid for itself in the first year, and puts money in my pocket every year after. And yes I called the insurance company before agreeing to it, just to make sure it would be worth it.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
A lot of dealers will install them on the lot. It makes it much easier to get into them with some sort of master key system, and also adds some security while in their possession.

I sold cars for a dealership once that "required" the consumer to purchase it so they didn't eat the cost of the unit (typically like 85 bucks installed).

Just tell them that you won't buy the car unless they disarm it (they usually don't remove them, they just put a chip in the system which deactivates it) and I'm sure they won't give you to much fuss.

If you've already signed the contract your probably SOL unless you provided your own financing.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
It must be Lo-Jack.... You don't have to have it activated....

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
Actually the vin etching saves me 10% on my insurance every year, more than paid for itself in the first year, and puts money in my pocket every year after. And yes I called the insurance company before agreeing to it, just to make sure it would be worth it.

I have used several popular insurance companies, not one of them have ever given me a discount for the "VIN etching"... -BUT- I'll be sure to ask for a discount the next time I renew :thumbup:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
$395? lol. Ask to see the official VW documentation that requires that purchase to be made. When they can't provide it then say well clearly VW doesn't care if it has it or not so I'm not buying it.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Nope, they're just trying to dupe you into an upsell.

Hopefully you didn't give them the money.

jni3

Ready to race!
$395? lol. Ask to see the official VW documentation that requires that purchase to be made. When they can't provide it then say well clearly VW doesn't care if it has it or not so I'm not buying it.

Exactly..... just tell them to prove it.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Actually the vin etching saves me 10% on my insurance every year, more than paid for itself in the first year, and puts money in my pocket every year after. And yes I called the insurance company before agreeing to it.

Most police stations hold events where they will do the etching for free though rather than pay a dealer, or there are DIY kits ~$20.