GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switching off ESP

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!

V Dubbed

Passed Driver's Ed
click the esp button in front of the shifter stick
Yes there is a button ESP but it does not turn it off, it's sort of a trick when your buying the car you see the button ESP so you think to your self cool i can switch it off but you can't!!! all that is traction control that's why when you switch it off it blinks and says TCS OFF . Go ahead and try it switch it off and go hard in to a corner you will notice ESP pull you back in line brake and limit throttle. As i know it ESP can not be switched off . But never say never some smart IT guy can crack the code.

lawgdawg

Ready to race!

Yes there is a button ESP but it does not turn it off, it's sort of a trick when your buying the car you see the button ESP so you think to your self cool i can switch it off but you can't!!! all that is traction control that's why when you switch it off it blinks and says TCS OFF . Go ahead and try it switch it off and go hard in to a corner you will notice ESP pull you back in line brake and limit throttle. As i know it ESP can not be switched off . But never say never some smart IT guy can crack the code.

That's what i heard as well, you can't actually turn it off.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
It basically raises the limits - quite high, in fact, that if you're doing track driving it shouldn't bother you unless you're doing extremely poorly in terms of keeping the car in control.

Would be nice if it could be switched off completely, but I don't mind. May keep my brother or someone else driving the car from doing something stupid with it.

TeutonicTurbo

Passed Driver's Ed
With ESP in the "off" mode the threshold is very high, as Roast pointed out. I know that in Car & Driver's latest "Lightning Lap" around Virginia International Raceway (one of the best road courses in America BTW) that the GTI's fastest laps around the track came without any electronic interference even though it can't be completely turned off.

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!
you can turn it off completely by disconnecting the front left wheel sensor and zip tying it to the brake line. You'd only do that if you auto-x though, i dont think you mentally prepare to drive your car like an ass on public roads before you get into it. If you do ship me the keys with the car. I wanted the GTI:cool:.

When you disconnect it though you will also loose ABS. Brakes still work good but you'll just loose ABS. The ESP light will be on solid and wont blink.

woofie2

Ready to race!
you can turn it off completely by disconnecting the front left wheel sensor and zip tying it to the brake line. You'd only do that if you auto-x though, i dont think you mentally prepare to drive your car like an ass on public roads before you get into it. If you do ship me the keys with the car. I wanted the GTI:cool:.

When you disconnect it though you will also loose ABS. Brakes still work good but you'll just loose ABS. The ESP light will be on solid and wont blink.
This is good to know, I was playing on Snow/Ice last week and found that with the ESP off you can get wheel spin, and throw a skid, but with the ESP on you can not.
I was amazed how controllable the car was in harsh conditions without the traction control off. Yet how utterly hard it was to have "Fun" with the ESP turned on.