GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RCD510 AUX/USB not working

bugeyedbrit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to all, I am new to this forum, but not VW's in general, I am however new to upgrading them, so here is my problem! I upgraded the head unit on my 2012 model year Golf, but its not working as expected.

I tried updating my radio from the base RCD310 model to the RCD510 in order to get USB connectivity/charging capability. I bought a new head unit from an ebay seller, the unit came quickly enough, and it all went in ok, my issue is that I have no AUX IN or USB as a result of the upgrade (wife is v impressed!!), The best bit is when I put the old unit back in as a test, it also no longer has AUX IN either??? Its disabled completely! I have read variously that it needs to be re coded using VAG COM ? I don't know what this is or how to get it, would it be something a main dealer can do?

Any help or pointers anyone can help with would be really appreciated

I did post this in the technical sub forum, but it doesn't appear to get much traffic.

thanks

Bugeyedbrit

plat

Ready to race!
I believe the previous car where the RCD510 came from did not have the MMI port activated. My GTI did not have the MMI so I did not run into the same issue as yours. I upgraded my H/U from the AC to AF version with no issues. In your case, when upgrading from the RCD310 to 510, you'll need to use VCDS to properly configure the audio system in general. And, I believe there is a check box in there to indicate whether the MMI is used or not.

Go to the VCDS Canada directory in this forum and look up other forum members based in Toronto who own a VCDS (RossTech) cable to help you out for free or beer or cash, etc.

bugeyedbrit

Its a brand new unit, never fitted to another car, so has never had an MDI connection either, but probably does need to be coded via vcds, its just a shame as I had read other threads where other people had more luck.

clownish

just clowning around
I'd also physically check the inputs for the AUX (in addition to checking VAGCOM settings to make sure everything is enabled or on).

I just swapped out the RMT300 accessory radio that was in my mk5 R32 for a RCD-510 and the connections were physically unstable.

I fixed that by buying a Double Apex AUX relocate and circumventing the entire wiring issue rather than dig it all out and rewire to make sure the connections were okay.

bugeyedbrit

I don't know precisely which unit I have, but I don't have an MDI set up, its got a seperate USB (yellow) socket on the back side, and is also wired for an AUX IN via the quad lock wiring, I have CD and radio functions, just not USB and AUX IN.

clownish

just clowning around
I don't know precisely which unit I have, but I don't have an MDI set up, its got a seperate USB (yellow) socket on the back side, and is also wired for an AUX IN via the quad lock wiring, I have CD and radio functions, just not USB and AUX IN.

Get the serial number from the unit itself, along with any identifying tags.

Find someone in Toronto with VAGCOM.

The coding you can sort through in the VAGCOM options if you can't find someone who has posted previously online.

bugeyedbrit

Hi all, just updating this thread to say I swapped out the Chinese market RCD 510 head unit for a North American market one, and lo and behold, USB and AUX-IN both now work straight away, so the Chinese one is going back.

Thanks for all the replies/advice.

TheMadMonk

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it just the Aux/USB that does not work on the Chinese model? Or do all functions not work?

I really only use bluetooth/CD/Radio and wouldn't miss the aux/USB as long as everything else functions properly, including the steering wheel controls