GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

battery problems

epk5150

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so here's the deal. I went on vacation for about 10 days and when I returned my 10 GTI wouldn't start. I had the neighbor jump me and went to the auto parts store to get the battery tested and they said it was good. I drove it around that day for a few hours and each time i went to start the car it was fine.

The car sat for about a day and a half and then this morning it wouldn't start again. So once again I took it to the auto parts store and they did a little more in depth test of the battery and everything seemed fine except there was about 1.5-2 amps load being applied to the battery while the car was completely off doors locked and nothing running. We pulled fuses one at a time to try to see what was causing it and found that a 5 amp and a 15 amp fuse at the top right of the fuse box in the engine compartment when pulled would drop the load significantly. I couldn't really tell what those fuses were for but did notice that when they were pulled none of the interior lights worked, or the key in ignition chime either.

The only thing I can think of is that I do have a full LED interior and I have noticed that even when the car is off there is a ever so slight glow coming from some of the LED's. Do any of you think that would be enough to drain the battery over a 2 day period?

Better yet has anyone out there experienced something similar to this with there car and if so what was the solution? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I have heard of the blue tooth not shutting down and draining the battery, but if you have lights on there is something wrong with that circuit and should be taken in for them to trouble shoot. Did you add the LED's?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
It shouldn't be glowing when the car is off. I have LEDs on the interior too and they don't glow when the car is off... do ALL of them glow?

epk5150

Passed Driver's Ed
I have heard of the blue tooth not shutting down and draining the battery, but if you have lights on there is something wrong with that circuit and should be taken in for them to trouble shoot. Did you add the LED's?

Yes I added the LED's. They don't stay on entirely just ever so faintly. Someone else on another forum mentioned the bluetooth thing. Do you have any more information on that.

epk5150

Passed Driver's Ed
It shouldn't be glowing when the car is off. I have LEDs on the interior too and they don't glow when the car is off... do ALL of them glow?

the only ones I can see that do that are the overhead dome lights. But like I said it is very very dim. I also havent sat in the car with it off to verify they stay on all the time. I have only noticed them on when I am driving at night.