GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI vs 2010 WRX

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
GTI also has the advantage of 6 gears

Maxim1

I was in this exact situation this summer. I was still in Sioux Falls at the time and test drove a bunch of cars.

The WRX I tested had the full SLP treatment from the factory...upgraded exhaust, short shifter, upgraded intake, firmed up suspension. They make about 285hp. Cost was about 2k more than a comparably equipped GTI.

It was fast. Much faster than a stock GTI. There was more pronounced turbo lag and the shifter was notchy (though very positive...I never missed a shift). From a roll, it was faster than the 2010 Mustang GT I test drove.

Interior wise, no comparison at all. The Subie's interior looks cheap. The dash looked great, but the doors....there's cheap plastic seams and all the material is hard to the touch. It's also a very noisy car inside. Lots of tire noise and lots of wind noise (from the sides, not the windshield. The doors are very poorly insulated).

I like AWD (my previous car was a 2007 Suzuki SX4...an absolute jem of a car that would be unstoppable if it were given a turbo. Get one if u need a practical commuter car that handles well and laughs at snow), but knowing I was moving to Arizona...it was less of an issue.

The GTI...well, it feels like you just bought an Audi. The interior is so nice....the exterior is classy. It's quiet inside, it seems to make more power the faster you go so the acceleration remains basically steady (probably because the torque curve is flat). It's not as all out fast, but unless you were racing in a straight line, I think it would likely beat a regular WRX. The WRX wasn't as firmly sprung or as well damped, and it definitely had lower steady state grip than the GTI. Both cars default to understeer when you exceed the limit.

I'm going to have to put some wider tires on my GTI once I get the APR tune because the car already roasts the front tires in first gear and sometimes even cuts them loose in second.....40 more horsepower will only make that worse. That wouldn't be a problem with the subie...all wheel drive is great for acceleration and it saves you money on tires too.

They're both great cars. Do you want a rally style race car disguised as a road car, with all the up and downsides a vehicle like that has? (cheaper interior, lots of noise, lower gas mileage, but fast as snot and responsive to suspension/tire upgrades) or do you want a car designed from the ground up to be extremely enjoyable on regular roads?

Given that the aftermarket is very healthy on both cars, and that you will see bigger gains for less money with the GTI (VW has undertuned the engine for insurance purposes), I think the GTI is more exciting. APR will give you 40+ horsepower for about $600. That'll put you within spitting distance of the WRX in terms of speed.

And the GTI just plain handles like a dream. With the Subie, I dealt with a little bump steer here and there, it was a bit more twitchy during cornering, and the transition to understeer was very abrupt. The GTI oozes down the road, impossible to upset, and responds exactly how you want it to unless you push it past what it can do, and then it gently goes into understeer. And honestly...with the summer tires, the GTI can corner harder than the Subie.

There's one downside to the GTI that I have to mention, which the subaru does not suffer from because of it's rally racing roots. The GTI simulates a limited slip differential. It doesn't have a real one. It uses a computer to monitor wheel slippage in the front tires and individually applies small amounts of brake pressure to the wheel that starts wildly spinning. A mechanical limited slip redistributes the power to the other wheel without using the brake to control the spinning. This is different than stability control, which individually brakes the wheels to keep the car going straight. This only deals with keeping the inside wheel from spinning wildly in a tight corner under power.

Essentially, because the GTI uses the brake to control the spinnage of that inside wheel, if you drive your GTI hard for any length of time, especially around corners, you will start to notice brake fade, as the brakes are being heated up when you corner. If it had a mechanical limited slip differential, this would not happen...and the Subie has a mechanical limited slip.

If you plan on tracking your GTI, you're going to need to find a way to disable that computer program and then install a mechanical limited slip. The GTI's brakes will overheat during track use unless you do this. You're also going to want to replace the brakes with some good Brembo or Bride units. Of course, this is really only applicable if you do the occasional track day. You will not notice this at all under normal use, unless you consistently drive like a suicidal maniac on public roads.

rendogg840

I have had 2 GTI's over the past 5 years and just bought a new WRX(sedan). Performance wise there is no comparison, the rex just kills the GTI in a drag race. I also like that the WRX does not have all of the computer junk that is in my GTI. For everyday driving though, the GTI is far superior, the clutch is much more forgiving and even my girlfriend can drive it. The interior of the GTI is much more solid and it is quieter on the highway than the WRX. However, I love the fact that there is no torque steer on the rex and that it drives very well in the winter. They are both great cars and really should not be compared because they are completely different. The rex is all about power and the GTI is a much more refined car for everyday driving. I love driving my GTI in the summer and fall and the rex for the rest of the year. Blasting up I-89 in Vermont at 100 mph in a snowstorm is really fun in the WRX, and taking on the curves and banks of route 100 in the GTI @ 70 mph during the summer is equally thrilling. I cannot say which car I prefer, they are both great and in my case the WRX is a sedan and the GTI is a hatch. Best thing to do if you are married or whatever is get both and then you will be set...I never thought I would buy a Japanese car after only driving German cars for my whole life but a WRX sedan kills the Jetta and the GTI is better than the WRX hatch. If you can't get both it all depends on if you want power or refinement, but either way you cannot go wrong.

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Until the 2011 WRX was shown at the NY auto show my decision was set and i was thinking of the GTI over the wrx. But now that the 2011 is shown there is no doubt i think i am moving over to the dark side :23:

Did anyone see that wrx?

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Until the 2011 WRX was shown at the NY auto show my decision was set and i was thinking of the GTI over the wrx. But now that the 2011 is shown there is no doubt i think i am moving over to the dark side :23:

Did anyone see that wrx?

Yeah it's getting closer and closer to a STI. That was a huge gripe I had about the 08-10 WRX was that it didn't have the fender flairs like the STI. Now it has some power, and looks of a STI for $10k less. Hmmm....

...but they still look funky and feel cheap all around compared to GTI

peechu

Passed Driver's Ed
I test drove the WRX after deciding not to buy a golf; I got a big bump in my budget for a nicer car and everyone told me one thing, "Get a car you'll be absolutely happy with making payments for your next 5 driving years, then happy driving with the years that follow". Hard for me to understand since I wasn't really a gearhead and I hated my volvo s80 so I never felt the joy of driving really.

Hell, I'm only 24, and the closeted speedfreak in me was excited driving the WRX. Regardless, my point A to point B attitude combined with my budget of 25000 OTD kept me in check. The WRX ALMOST made me fall in love with AWD. The 2010 civic SI shifter felt so buttery smooth, but the car felt just a touch too soft for me. And even while leaning on the GTI I still wanted to test a CooperS and Mazda out. Then I was offered a deal I really couldn't refuse. With all things combined, I absolutely love my GTI. Mailed my first insurance check and car payment out last week with a smile on my face.

Note, I got a chance to try my friend's Cooper S after she had heard I got a GTI, oh my the thing has pep and a damn good amount of charm (especially since the owner is also quite the cutie)! I don't have access to a speed3, but good god, it may be faster but it is ugly. I don't even want to waste perfectly good adjectives to describe it, but it's just ugly.

In short, for a first time car buyer, no buyer's remorse - love my gti. Still, the experience has given me something to think about when the time comes to get a new car.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
I don't have access to a speed3, but good god, it may be faster but it is ugly. I don't even want to waste perfectly good adjectives to describe it, but it's just ugly.

The MazdaSpeed3 is brutish. Fast. Nimble. Quick. Loud. And harsh.

A GREAT track performer. A not-so-great package if you have to live with it day-to-day. IMHO

And frankly?? The GTI is only a WHISKER away from the track performance of the MazdaSpeed3, but the Mazda is WORLDS away from the GTI in refinement and live-ability in real world situations.

Falchon

Passed Driver's Ed
The MazdaSpeed3 is brutish. Fast. Nimble. Quick. Loud. And harsh.

A GREAT track performer. A not-so-great package if you have to live with it day-to-day. IMHO

And frankly?? The GTI is only a WHISKER away from the track performance of the MazdaSpeed3, but the Mazda is WORLDS away from the GTI in refinement and live-ability in real world situations.

Quite possibly the best comparo I've ever read between a Speed3 and a GTI. Kudos!

rendogg840

Did anyone see that wrx?

I dislike the look of the 2011 WRX, it looks ridiculous to me. There are no power improvements just extra crap on the outside of the car...when I saw the 2011, I made my decision to buy the 2010 model. Still love my GTI for all around driving though.

Falchon

Passed Driver's Ed
I dislike the look of the 2011 WRX, it looks ridiculous to me. There are no power improvements just extra crap on the outside of the car...when I saw the 2011, I made my decision to buy the 2010 model. Still love my GTI for all around driving though.

Usually I would agree that if you're going to make a car look a lot more agressive you should back up its looks. However, I believe the WRX was a rare case, where it looked a helluvalot slower than it actually was. The exterior for the 2011 finally catches up to how well the car can perform. Plus, I'm pretty sure they widened the track, so the 2011 should handle a little better as well.

UPDATE: Just confirmed the 2011 does get a 1.5" wider track, a stiffer suspension, 1" wider rims, and 235 series tires. If this thing had a 6speed, it would be in my garage.

Last edited:

thomas3322

your complaining about power improvements on the 2011 wrx? If you want more power just buy an sti.

On the side note. I own a 2009 wrx and just bought a 2010 gti for my girlfriend (She wanted automatic). Both a great cars. Each car has pros and cons. But in terms on modding ive only worked on my rex. It costed me 599$ to buy a cobb tunner and bump up my car 30% hp gains. Im looking into mods for the mk6 however im afraid of torque steer since its my gf driving it....

Last edited:

rendogg840

your complaining about power improvements on the 2011 wrx? If you want more power just buy an sti.

On the side note. I own a 2009 wrx and just bought a 2010 gti for my girlfriend (She wanted automatic). Both a great cars. Each car has pros and cons. But in terms on modding ive only worked on my rex. It costed me 599$ to buy a cobb tunner and bump up my car 30% hp gains. Im looking into mods for the mk6 however im afraid of torque steer since its my gf driving it....

It looks like we are in about the same spot car wise, both having a modded WRX and a stock GTI in our garages...anyways it's not that I am complaining about power improvements in the WRX, as much that it is nice to have a powerful car that is under the radar so to speak. If they are going to make it look like an sti, they might as well do away with the wrx because the not so bold styling is what I like about it. I like the fact that cops do not see my rex and think "oh man there is an easy ticket." I am in the same situation but the GTI I bought my girlfriend has the 6-speed. I don't really want to mod the thing because I am afraid that she will crash it.

Boo1

Ready to race!
I was weeks away from ordering my GTI when the '11 WRX was revealed at the NYC auto show. I've always loved the WRX but couldn't stand the blandness of the current model. But I do love the wide body look of the STi, so when they announced the 2011 WRX would be getting the look as well, I was more than a bit excited.

My buddy has an STi I've driven and enjoyed, but I had never driven the stock WRX. So I test drove a used '09 WRX to get a feel for them. THe 2011 and 2009/2010 models are mechanically the same, so I felt it would be a good gauge.

Long story short, I'm sticking with the GTI. The WRX is blazingly fast, but it is not a very fun car to drive, IMO. The power delivery is on/off. Dead below 3,000 RPM's, and then insanely fast above. Not smooth at all. I also hated the clutch and didn't care for the shifter.

To me the WRX is an econo car that feels like an econo car with a ferocious engine and a decent suspension. The GTI is a car that feels complete, well rounded, and one that is well balanced. It doesn't do any one thing the best- but it does everything extremely well.

My 2 cents.