GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shoot-Out: VW Golf R vs SEAT Leon Cupra R

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone noticed that these aren't golf R needles/ interior????:confused:
Well spotted TAZZ.

I obviously I don't have an 'R' but searching around for pics they shows blue needles. So I'm wondering which car Fifth Gear took the dash shots from? ;)

shahabdin

Ready to race!
Yeah, I gotta say I kinda agree with ya all! :) The Seats have a lot of options as standard where as on a VW u've gotta splash out extra cash to bring it in line with a Seat's.
However, saying that, the inner build quality of the plastics etc.. on a Seat doesn't come anywhere close to those of VWs and Audis. So I'm reckoning that they save on cheap parts hence able to throw in the extras as a compensation. So it's really a game of compromise of something good just for some extra features. Kinda like buying a cheap chinese (no offence to the rest of chinese products since i'm sure brands like Clarion, Alpine, Pioneer also manufacture theirs in China nowadays and the qualities are still good) head unit that has all the extras in it like TV, GPS and DVD at a fraction of the price of the OEMs. But end of the day ur better off with quality (with respect to the head unit example it would've been sound quality) and paying for the extras, if u know what I mean ;)

@Tazz - yup ur absolutely right, how bizarre! :D

I've gotta say one thing though. In the family we had a Seat Ibiza petrol 1.4 which was very nippy around corners, good acceleration, good drive. The only difference between it and the Golf in driving was the braking. I had to slam on the brakes pedal really hard to get it to respond, whereas the Golf u only need to step on her pedal at close range. I feel always more in control when behind the Golf's wheel. Her brakes, absolutely wonderful! And she doesn't even jerk when coming to a grinding halt, just love this part the most. :)

Last edited:

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!
The Cupra is pretty specky... :) lucky there are no SEAT dealerships in town here. :lol:

LCR 225 1.8T

I love my Mk1 Leon Cupra R, it's a fantastic car. Performance is almost identical to my dad's Mk5 GTI. I've got 225 bhp to the 200 bhp of the GTI, but the torque of the 2.0T is more than my 1.8T so the power delivery is slightly different. The brakes are better on my Leon as it has Brembo 4-pots and 323mm discs as standard.

Having said that, my next car will be a Golf GTI and not the MK2 Cupra R as I think it is ugly and the interior is cheap and nasty, at least the Mk1 Leon had the dash from the Audi A3.

Here is my Flickr set with loads of pics of Mk6 Golfs, GTD's, GTI's and R's...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23574881@N06/sets/72157616951281674/

DXBGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Both really nice cars, I have a GTI and my mate has the Cupra, (not the R), I cant help thinking that I wasnt to impressed with the golf R in that video, it seemed like it was difficult to drive, it would interesting to find out what the WRX or even the STI and EVO X lapped that track in, at the end of the day thats its competition even though they have 30bhp on them.