GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Base-Automatic vs DSG?

darkecho

I'm considering the TDI and the Base, and would get the DSG just because I like to support cool tech, but if I get the base, the DSG is not an option.

So, I'm trying to figure out if the base auto is close in fun-factor still, or does the DSG really make a huge difference?

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
DSG vs traditional auto? DSG FTW! DSG is definitely a much better technology on so many levels...

woofie2

Ready to race!
DSG = IRL or F1 racing

Autoslushbox = little old blue haired lady.

yes I have experienced both, the dsg is a manual transmission with the spirit of a rally driver shifting the gears.

rei

Passed Driver's Ed
if you're looking to really save i'd suggest straight manual

Of course, the TDI comes with DSG anyway and is a better investment in the longrun

Christopher1

In terms of resale value, yes, DSG is a good investment.. there will be many people out there wanting to live the F1 & rally experience.. but surely nothing can beat the exhilaration of a straight traditional manual? perhaps I'm a bit biased though.....

darkecho

Manual is out for resale, and because others will drive it who don't know manual (wouldn't want them learning on my car), and I personally feel that I'd be happier with the Auto because most of the time I'll just be driving, not racing hard.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
DSG is the way to go - it's actually more efficient than a regular automatic because it's a manual transmission, just with robotized clutches. For feel, yes, a regular manual will be better.

For tooling around town VW has perfected it - my mom can't tell the difference, and if it passes the Mom test it should be good enough. The TDI comes with DSG, if I'm not mistaken, and the 2.5 comes with the regular automatic.