GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***DIY*** Installing the Forge Blow Off Adapter

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2013 it is same procedure did mine this past Sunday took me 15 mins while taking pics. I don't kno why people say the 3rd bolt is so hard?! I used a Allen key socket maybe people doing this and having a hard time are using a regulay Allen key. If u buy the Allen socket with a short 3/8 extension and 3/8 ratchet the job is very simple

i found it much easier to remove the wheel and fender liner to get at the 3rd bolt

Hey Bud,

let me know how it goes, maybe do a write up for 2013's just in case it's a different process. :thumbup:

Great thread but I spent nearly an hour trying to get that third bolt off but it wouldn't budge! Finally just gave up for the night and will try again tomorrow...

The Forge blow-off adapter leaks oil, I wouldn't run it guys. You probably noticed when you took your DV off that there was some oil on it. That leaks out of the holes in the adapter and gets sprayed into your engine bay...

Shwizzle

Ready to race!
No oil on mine. The only way that the adapter would allow oil leakage is if you already have a pre-existing oil leak. Therefore, the adapter itself will not cause an oil leak. If oil is seeping through the holes of the adapter and you remove the adapter and re-install the dv, so it is back to stock, you have not stopped the leak you have just made it so it is not visible. If oil is seeping through your holes it is most likely from pvc blow-by, this is why some people choose to install oil catch cans. The catch can is installed in-line of the intake stream and allows pcv fumes to pass through it while catching any oil residue that may also come through the pcv system. The catch can stores the oil and it can be drained out. This is a good mod because oil in the intake stream over time can break down and deteriorate intake hoses as well as make the couplers on the charge and intercooler pipes soft and could caused a blow off if running high boost levels. Only other way you could have oil there is if the internal oil seals of the turbo are leaking. The adapter is actually good because if you do have oil in your intake stream you will be able to see it without having to remove the dv.

abraxas

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2013 it is same procedure did mine this past Sunday took me 15 mins while taking pics. I don't kno why people say the 3rd bolt is so hard?! I used a Allen key socket maybe people doing this and having a hard time are using a regulay Allen key. If u buy the Allen socket with a short 3/8 extension and 3/8 ratchet the job is very simple

Gotta say thanks for this. I tried this install yesterday using just an Allen key, which was fine for getting the front two bolts out but wouldn't budge the third in the back. Went out last night to get an Allen socket set and finished the job today.

I will say, though, that using a 3/8" ratchet and 3" extension (the shortest I could find) was tough in that cramped space. It didn't work for all of the bolts either, so i had to use the Allen key some as well. I wish the Allen socket would have worked with my 1/4" ratchet, and that i had a slightly shorter extension. Oh well, I got the job done eventually regardless.

Incidentally, I accidentally dropped one of the original bolts into the undercarriage and spent forever trying to find it. I eventually did, but had to run inside to get a small hand mirror and extendable magnetic pickup tool to spot and fish it out of a hard to reach crevice. I'll be picking up an extendable mirror tool as well because that would have helped in the hunt. I also used a cheap LED headlamp during the whole process today, which helped a lot.

Oh, and I did find a little oil inside my DV (C type on a 2012, ~15k miles) when I pulled it out. I may look at installing a catch can to help with oil blowback issues.

Shwizzle

Ready to race!
Good glad your install worked out I'm a mechanic so I had all the tools I needed and yes the Allen socket does work well and the 1/4 inch ratchet is good so you don't over tighten the bolts yea I too want to get a nice catch can Black Forest industries makes a nice one pricey tho

pawer

I just got mine and boy do I love it ... that third bolt was stupid but instead of 4mm the bolt fit as a 5mm

McMill

Incidentally, I accidentally dropped one of the original bolts into the undercarriage and spent forever trying to find it. I eventually did, but had to run inside to get a small hand mirror and extendable magnetic pickup tool to spot and fish it out of a hard to reach crevice. I'll be picking up an extendable mirror tool as well because that would have helped in the hunt. I also used a cheap LED headlamp during the whole process today, which helped a lot.

Oh, and I did find a little oil inside my DV (C type on a 2012, ~15k miles) when I pulled it out. I may look at installing a catch can to help with oil blowback issues.

I found this funny as when I installed mine I accidentally dropped the allen key in the undercarriage and spent a very long time looking for it and eventually gave up. 5 months later when I got a new clutch installed the dealership found it haha.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

nygti3491

Ready to race!

So while installing the forge spacer I notice that I think I have the version c DV. I just want to confirm this before a buy a the new version d DV. I thought having a 2013 that vw would have changed it already from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
Looks just like my rev D...I would leave it alone unless you are having problems with it.

Skandelouz

same

wooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! got my new dvalve in swaped it out and got alll my power back..took apart my old one and the spring was busted on it...sooooo glad to have my car back and i love the spacer having to force to smile because of all the bs with it..but thanks to forge for helping me out.does anyone elses cia make a flutter noise when it releases the air??didnt know if it was bad or not

How's it going, I installed my forge adapter 2 days ago and I too hear like air flow when I gas the car and today my check engine light came on, it's a pretty easy install I doubt I did anything wrong, kinda sucks I was really liking it but I also feel like I lost power

Furioustylez75

How's it going, I installed my forge adapter 2 days ago and I too hear like air flow when I gas the car and today my check engine light came on, it's a pretty easy install I doubt I did anything wrong, kinda sucks I was really liking it but I also feel like I lost power

Did you plug back in the harness?

Furioustylez75

Order a forge bov from eBay and when I was installing it it didn't fit. Any tips/ help?

I had the same problem too. what I did was drill one on the dowels on the adapter to make the opening a little bigger. Drill just enough so the pin on the DV fits in the dowel perfectly.

number3

I found oil leakages today after installing the adaptor for 3 years. VW said It's because of the after market adaptor so the warranty does not cover. The tech also gave me a quote on a new dv for CAD$188.
Will the adaptor ruin the dv? Since Shwizzle from one of the comment said it won't cause leakage itself. Will the problem be solved if I simply take the adaptor out? I don't know what to do now. Factory warranty will end in a week or two

zrickety

The Fixer
No. The oil is from the pcv and basically normal.