Can you drive stick?

• Yes

Votes: 627 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 8.6%

• Total voters

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
Every car I've ever owned has been a stick shift for the 15 years I've been able to drive. This VW is the first car I considered ever going to auto. If it couldn't shifter faster than me and do it so smoothly I would not have considered it. I like that I can allow someone (rarely happens) to drive my car if I want to now.

McQueen77

Banned
i agree, the dsg is great.

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
I had to learn how to drive with a manual, it was the only car we had. A '94 Toy pickup with a 5 speed and the clutch was going...

rblgti

Go Kart Champion
I learned how to drive a manual on my ex bf's 20AE. Never stalled it, and I pretty much had it down after the first attempt. Then I bought a '05 Miata (which is not DBW like I'm used to), and it took me MONTHS before I could drive it with no issues. Finally, I decided that I hated that car and traded it in for the '11 (manual) GTI that I have now :)

Couldn't be happier. Although, the DSG would be nice in traffic...

Buckshot

Passed Driver's Ed
I learned how to drive a manual in my brother's first gen Toyota MR2. The first manual I owned was a 1986 Audi Coupe GT, and then I had an e36 M3 that was a manual. Otherwise it's been all automatics for me in a very diverse range of vehicles. For how I drive now (mostly commuting) and where (South Florida), the DSG just makes much more sense. When I move back to a part of the country with open roads, curves and elevation changes, then I'll get another manual.

bruck

Ready to race!
I learned to drive manual when I was 20 (I'm now 32) - I learned so I could drive my 6 speed S4. A friend and my father taught me. I then proceeded to drive the S4 about 80,000 miles. I later bought another manual car and still have that one - but as my daily driver (30k miles/year) this Mk6 is a DSG.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
I was always obsessed with manual cars from seeing my dad drive all of his old muscles cars since i was born. :) So when i got my permit at 15, i learned to drive stick on his 69 Chevelle SS with 600 hp. lol and then after i learned on that, i perfected it in his 67 Corvette. :D Heaviest clutch in the world on that car... i love it. So after that thing, every manual transmission feels totally effortless and natural. I'll never buy an automatic. To me, if you really love cars, you need to have the full experience and feel connected. Its just more fun!

Speed Devil

Passed Driver's Ed
I voted no. I had a friend teach me 11 years back as a freshman in high school but I don't consider myself proficient at it. I'm not afraid to admit it. ;)

I aint the best either, but after driving a friends 02 mustang V6 a few times after learning from a friend who use to work at ford (taught me on a 10 Mustang GT) and then test driving over 20+ different cars (Gti's, golf tdi, wrx, challenger rt, '12 stang V6, 08 si, 12 Gli/wrangler, ect.), I know enough that when I finally get my GTI, won't stall out at all and only gonna get better :D

I voted yes, only learned in the past two years but jonesin' to get stick (23 btw, had a pdk and it got old after learning stick)

Archfiend

There used to be a law that anyone under 21 cannot get an automatic license. I learned on a manual, I was terrible at it, got better, but once I was allowed automatic I changed straight away. Automatic is way better where I live, especially with the terrible traffic. I actually asked the dealer here in the country and they don't have a GTI with manual transmission. Most cars here are automatic unless it's a performance car that comes only in manual.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
I was always obsessed with manual cars from seeing my dad drive all of his old muscles cars since i was born. :) So when i got my permit at 15, i learned to drive stick on his 69 Chevelle SS with 600 hp. lol and then after i learned on that, i perfected it in his 67 Corvette. :D Heaviest clutch in the world on that car... i love it. So after that thing, every manual transmission feels totally effortless and natural. I'll never buy an automatic. To me, if you really love cars, you need to have the full experience and feel connected. Its just more fun!
no joke about those old vettes.. My buddy had one and that clutch was insanely heavy.

Sent via Tapatalk, probably with typos.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
no joke about those old vettes.. My buddy had one and that clutch was insanely heavy.

Sent via Tapatalk, probably with typos.

Yeah man, it's like trying to roll over a fat man with your left foot. Haha, but the heavy springy-ness of it makes it easier to shift super quick.... Once you've built up your leg muscles. lol i'll never forget when we bought that vette at auction. I hopped in it to drive it around the parking lot, and my leg was shaking like crazy from trying to hold the clutch in. :lol:

shahabdin

Ready to race!
Learned stick from day one of my learner's ed. Drove a stick for 5-6 years before getting a Ford automatic tip-tronic CVT that I drove for 3 years before going back to stick on my Golf. Guess that helped inclined me more towards the manual :p

former3g

Passed Driver's Ed
I learned Manual on a WRX. I had one lesson from a local driving school a week before I picked the car up. Drove the Subaru home from the dealership and taught myself the rest of the way in my local town, which I should add is full of hills and steep inclines.

Took a couple days to catch on and a week or two before I really felt confident and a few months before it was second nature.

I would say an AWD car with a clutch as heavy as the Subie is one of the toughest cars to learn manual in. Needed a new clutch at around 36k miles :laugh:

I have a DSG now with my Daily Driver due to a bad left knee. The DSG is not a bad compromise at all.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
I learned to drive manual on a Nissan 200SX, but I've never owned a manual car. 2 automatics and now a DSG. So I'd probably be a little rusty if I bought one today, but I know what I'm doing.