GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jalopnik's Review of the Golf R

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
The Genesis, I'm mad they re-did the front end, it doesnt flow as well as the first iteration, but, its still a beast. SharkRacing has some cool stuff for it but I'm not seeing enough performance modifications for it so I dont know, all of my cars are modified in one way or another and I dont think I could roll stock for too long. I did consider it before the GTi though.

Kingbambino22

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I love my Golf R. Nothing against the GTI, but I wouldn't drive on. Did I think it was over priced..........yes. Did I think it could have came with more Euro parts.......yes. More horsepower......yes. If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the R over the GTI. That's just how I feel. I've been stationed in Germany(Army) so I know first hand how watered down the cars us Americans get. Let's just appreciate our cars for what they are no matter R or GTI etc...........

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
I was looking for a new car in 2010, and the R wasn't out yet over here. I paid just over 24K for my GTi. If I was looking for a new car now I'd prob have to say id still go w/the GTi even though I could swing the payments on an R. It's definitely a pretty sweet VW. But as everyone else is saying for the money, I don't think I'd step out of an R after driving my GTi for two years and be blown away by the difference. Which for 10k more I think I should need to feel.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

ali1

Ready to race!
lol talking 37k usd 4 an R, i bought mine 47k EUR i googled it its like 58k USD :eek:

still i do not care about R or GTI i think both cars have pottential i just loved the look of the R and where i live the exclusivity of the car! hell even if it had 200 hp i would bought the R

to bad vr6 is gone :(

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
Unless you have plans to mod the R, I honestly don't think its worth the substantial price difference. You say we're all just jealous? I feel like you're just trying to justify your purchase by saying "Its a better car all around." Oh really? We share the same body and you don't get the Euro features that everyone loves. We have pretty much the same interior (save for accents and what not) and have identical seats.

Really, I don't think many GTI owners are "upset" about the R.... why would we be? Is voicing an opinion that its not worth the price difference equivalent to being upset?

1st, worth is subjective. If it wasn't everyone would have 200,000 supercars. 2nd, you don't see R owners in the GTI parts of the forum saying how much your GTIs suck and you should have gotten the R. 3rd, the R, even though it shares the same platform as the GTI, turned a much faster time at the C&D Lightning Lap. Clearly there's something "better" going on there.

I'm going to buy a 4,000 BBK for my R. Is it worth it to you? :rolleyes:

Kingbambino22

Passed Driver's Ed
1st, worth is subjective. If it wasn't everyone would have 200,000 supercars. 2nd, you don't see R owners in the GTI parts of the forum saying how much your GTIs suck and you should have gotten the R. 3rd, the R, even though it shares the same platform as the GTI, turned a much faster time at the C&D Lightning Lap. Clearly there's something "better" going on there.

I'm going to buy a 4,000 BBK for my R. Is it worth it to you? :rolleyes:

:thumbsup::thumbup::bellyroll:

copizza

Ready to race!
When you already own a MKV/MKVI GTI, its impossible to justify the cost increase, IMO.

I am in this camp. I owe 13k on my car. A base Golf R with 0% puts me about 37k total over 66 months. That is 24k difference.

I simply do not think a STOCK Golf R will be a 24k better car than my APR stg 2 TSI GTI with KW V3 coilovers.

Simple as that.

I would venture to say unless you leased the GTI, the vast majority of GTI owners would have NO issue affording an R. Myself included.

Get off it man. I'd gladly race your Golf R, at pretty much anything.

Get off it? I didn't want to race, but you missed that point.

I have never seen more people so interested and critical of something they didnt own and apparently would never own because it isnt worth it. This is simple Psychology 101, so in the simplest of terms, humans, particularly men, tend to find fault, or otherwise compare and criticize things that damage their own ego and make them feel inadequate in some way.... ie something that appears to be better. So since were not standing around the campfire say 3000 years ago, and I had a better rock to sit on, you could just take it from me if you were tougher. Since we have laws, norms etc, we cant do that and since you ENVY not having the car, you simply criticize and find a way to conclude that the R is a piece of shit an doesnt compare to what you have. Its a self defense mechanism so you can keep your ego from falling apart. Most people who have strong self worth usually avoid most of this stuff. Simply put.....and probably more like Psych 404.

TPsycho

When you already own a MKV/MKVI GTI, its impossible to justify the cost increase, IMO.

I am in this camp. I owe 13k on my car. A base Golf R with 0% puts me about 37k total over 66 months. That is 24k difference.

I simply do not think a STOCK Golf R will be a 24k better car than my APR stg 2 TSI GTI with KW V3 coilovers.

Simple as that.

I would venture to say unless you leased the GTI, the vast majority of GTI owners would have NO issue affording an R. Myself included.

Get off it man. I'd gladly race your Golf R, at pretty much anything.

I'm glad you put "IMO" and understand that this is YOUR opinion and may be appropriate for you.

I owned a 2012 GTI Autobahn (which I owed nothing on). I loved it about 95% of the time. I thought it needed just a little more power to be perfect and toyed with the idea of flashing the ECU. I'm glad I didn't because I think I would have liked the car less.

What I found most frustrating were the times I wanted to get into the power and the wheels would spin or ECS/ASR would kick in. I'm not talking about conditions with rain, snow, gravel (where the GTI's power was near useless). I'm talking about flooring the car from a standstill on anything other then a straight line on a smooth road. Not fun. I recall few times I almost got clobbered coming out of a T-intersection because ASR kicked in.

Enter the Golf R. From the 1st time I floored it I was sold. It happened to be raining at the time. Floored it...NO drama. Bumpy road...NO drama. I've been able to chirp the wheels....once. After a few days in this car I realized how much I would feather the throttle on the GTI to prevent wheelspin. So that 5% frustration was probably A LOT more, I just got used to it. I can't even imagine how frustrating a GTI with more power and torque would be.

As for comparisons, forget comparing a base GTI with a Golf R. Not the same buyer. If you're fine without leather, sunroof, HIDs, Dynaudio, Navigation, then R is not for you. If VW ever offers a base GTI with AWD then we can make some new comparisons, but until they do, the only real comparison is the Autobahn GTI vs the R and in MY humble opinion, AWD alone is worth the price. Automatic climate control, better suspension, better brakes, more power, better tune-ability, better resale, and exclusivity make the R a steal.

Kingbambino22

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm glad you put "IMO" and understand that this is YOUR opinion and may be appropriate for you.

I owned a 2012 GTI Autobahn (which I owed nothing on). I loved it about 95% of the time. I thought it needed just a little more power to be perfect and toyed with the idea of flashing the ECU. I'm glad I didn't because I think I would have liked the car less.

What I found most frustrating were the times I wanted to get into the power and the wheels would spin or ECS/ASR would kick in. I'm not talking about conditions with rain, snow, gravel (where the GTI's power was near useless). I'm talking about flooring the car from a standstill on anything other then a straight line on a smooth road. Not fun. I recall few times I almost got clobbered coming out of a T-intersection because ASR kicked in.

Enter the Golf R. From the 1st time I floored it I was sold. It happened to be raining at the time. Floored it...NO drama. Bumpy road...NO drama. I've been able to chirp the wheels....once. After a few days in this car I realized how much I would feather the throttle on the GTI to prevent wheelspin. So that 5% frustration was probably A LOT more, I just got used to it. I can't even imagine how frustrating a GTI with more power and torque would be.

As for comparisons, forget comparing a base GTI with a Golf R. Not the same buyer. If you're fine without leather, sunroof, HIDs, Dynaudio, Navigation, then R is not for you. If VW ever offers a base GTI with AWD then we can make some new comparisons, but until they do, the only real comparison is the Autobahn GTI vs the R and in MY humble opinion, AWD alone is worth the price. Automatic climate control, better suspension, better brakes, more power, better tune-ability, better resale, and exclusivity make the R a steal.

My thoughts exactly:thumbup: That's why I bought the R;)

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

I disagree with the not the same buyer aspect, I was looking forward to the R right up until no DSG was announced. I hope VW sells all the current R's fast enough to convince the jackoffs at VW to send both transmission choices next go around. I don't require leather or any of the other crap, just give me four doors and a DSG so I can use my wife's TDI for the work commute. If I have to pay for leather to get a DSG and AWD I will but it's not a selling point by any means, I would rather have the lightest R I could get...I would pay extra for the amazing Euro Recaro's, but the standard GTI/R leather seats don't blow me away enough to lust after them.

Also having to upgrade the HPFP to get to fun power levels is horses shit.... Lets hope they fix that on the MKVII R

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
I've read all the comments here and some stem to price range and peoples comfort level with it, some cover how its not too much more in attributes than the GTi and some people even compare, one dimensionally, how its performs.

All I've taken away from the conversation in this thread is that it appeals to a certain buyer who will spend the money for exclusivity, the buyer who wants a GTi but more than what it offers and more than that, people who just simply want the car because they love it. We can debate specs, whether its reasonable, all of that shit but at the end of the day, I mean, like the one guy said, he's ready to drop 4k for a bbk, its his car and his preference to mod it spending whatever money he chooses.

I stand by my initial thoughts on the car after having driven it, not my cup of tea, or better yet, not enough tea in the cup for me, however, different strokes for different folks.