GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

State of the Board/Moderation Update

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yeah, the FS thread thing is a double-edged sword, because if something is overpriced, many will go out of their way to say so, in the interests of protecting another forum member.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
yeah, the FS thread thing is a double-edged sword, because if something is overpriced, many will go out of their way to say so, in the interests of protecting another forum member.

Yet a PM would suffice. If it is overpriced, they'll figure it out, seeing as though their product will not be selling.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yet a PM would suffice. If it is overpriced, they'll figure it out, seeing as though their product will not be selling.

yes and no, (new forum members will not always know what vendors sell items at or what the used market it is), but I will adhere to your request :)

Bender1

Banned
I would also like some clarification on the "OT subforum" guidelines and expectations, etc. As it seems that this board has a different view on what OT truly is/supposed to be, compared to others I've been on.

Thank you.

My feeling is it is open discussion - the other rules still apply in terms of being respectful, etc.

In the OT, if a thread ambles off course, that is fine, but really should be done in another thread.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
How about PMing the user instead with a nice discreet message to suggest a better price?

Oh i know, but 90% of people will probably blow you off and still try to potentially "take advantage" of another forum member...

Like i said before 6 in one hand 1/2 dozen in the other...the forum member buying should do due deligence as well, but not everyone knows all the various sources of parts and discounts...(isnt that why some join our community to network this sources)

Basically talking myself in a circle here and starting to see the valditly of the rule more now...

For instance somone who picked up a part during a sale and got a good deal but yet is marking it up closer to regular price when sale is over and someone calling him out on it...not really the OP's problem for catching something on sale, right?

So by having this rule it covers everything under the umbrella soo...respect :thumbsup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
8 Pages of a Stage 2 Review Thread that was nothing but arguing over clutch warranty......... Off topic.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Love the crack down mods. Let's all get back on topic about cars and useful information.

And we should all keep in mind, its a free forum. Live by their rules, appreciate the wealth of free and useful info to be had here ... or move on.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Oh i know, but 90% of people will probably blow you off and still try to potentially "take advantage" of another forum member...

Like i said before 6 in one hand 1/2 dozen in the other...the forum member buying should do due deligence as well, but not everyone knows all the various sources of parts and discounts...(isnt that why some join our community to network this sources)

Basically talking myself in a circle here and starting to see the valditly of the rule more now...

For instance somone who picked up a part during a sale and got a good deal but yet is marking it up closer to regular price when sale is over and someone calling him out on it...not really the OP's problem for catching something on sale, right?

So by having this rule it covers everything under the umbrella soo...respect :thumbsup:

Agreed. And I understand 100% where you're coming from. In this case, report the post for "price gouging" and we can take care of it. I've been around long enough to see some deals happen where the user couldve easily bought the same product at a GB rate a few threads away, you know?

Normally, telling a user about their high price will warrant ill feelings in the thread. The OP will get mad and either change the price or derail his own thread OR spark a debate with the user making the initial claim. At THAT point, we can take action.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
All -

As a result we (the moderators) will be more strictly enforcing already established rules. This won't mean much to most of you, but it may mean some moved threads/posts and deleted posts. Additionally we ask you ALL to keep more "on-topic" so we don't have to delete multiple posts in a thread.

Gotta say, I think posting this in OT is a bit...out of place? Seems like it would apply more to General Discussion and other forums?

Off Topic is generally considered the "catch all" of forum discussion. All the message boards that I've participated in and moderated, the rules that apply to the other forums don't generally apply the same way here; pretty much anything and everything usually goes. To do otherwise sort of defeats the purpose of having it, no? There's a lot to be said for members having a forum where they can just let go. Like the forum description says, "The name says it all...."

Yeah, you need to make sure the natives don't get too far out of line and things don't get too crazy, but IMO, you can't measure what goes on in OT the same as you would in the other forums. Shit, some of the best forums I've been a part of have OT forums that were essentially unmoderated (other than general clean up stuff). You had to do more than cross the line...you had to blow by it before anyone stepped in. TBH, that is part of the fun.

:iono:

Just my $0.02. Please don't take this as trying to stir up trouble. I'm just giving an opinion based on my past experiences which (probably) regrettably includes more years wasting time on forums than a lot of members here have been on this planet.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
yes and no, (new forum members will not always know what vendors sell items at or what the used market it is), but I will adhere to your request :)

This is true, while the seller may place a higher value than the market dictates. The buyer, generally new members, would not otherwise be informed and risk overpriced items. In this case it's ok for bother parties to be negligent but the seller maintains the benefit?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Gotta say, I think posting this in OT is a bit...out of place? Seems like it would apply more to General Discussion and other forums?

Off Topic is generally considered the "catch all" of forum discussion. All the message boards that I've participated in and moderated, the rules that apply to the other forums don't generally apply the same way here; pretty much anything and everything usually goes. To do otherwise sort of defeats the purpose of having it, no? There's a lot to be said for members having a forum where they can just let go. Like the forum description says, "The name says it all...."

Yeah, you need to make sure the natives don't get too far out of line and things don't get too crazy, but IMO, you can't measure what goes on in OT the same as you would in the other forums. Shit, some of the best forums I've been a part of have OT forums that were essentially unmoderated (other than general clean up stuff). You had to do more than cross the line...you had to blow by it before anyone stepped in. TBH, that is part of the fun.

:iono:

Just my $0.02. Please don't take this as trying to stir up trouble. I'm just giving an opinion based on my past experiences which (probably) regrettably includes more years wasting time on forums than a lot of members here have been on this planet.

well said.

This is true, while the seller may place a higher value than the market dictates. The buyer, generally new members, would not otherwise be informed and risk overpriced items. In this case it's ok for bother parties to be negligent but the seller maintains the benefit?

my point exactly.

Bender1

Banned

I think generally we agree with this. Maybe not QUITE to the extent you suggest, but certainly more than you would expect.

That said, as stated before, posted here due to traffic.