GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do people put aftermarket wheels on?

Lawrider

Passed Driver's Ed
I hate 18" wheels or larger on a car, and the OEM wheels are very heavy (to be bend resistant). Ditched them for a reasonable set of 17s with better rubber. Car is much happier for it. Big heavy wheels are a complete performance degrade compared to a light set of 17s. Personally I don't think they even look good, though I get many guys like them.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I bought light weight wheels and sticky tires because I'm hurting for attention and hope people like me

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
I really cannot believe this troll is still trolling the shit out of all of us. This thread title... lol

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Wow! 40 whole pounds? Just go on a freaking diet...

Reducing unsprung weight is like 10x in the car. So that 40 lbs reduction is more like 400 lbs effectively.

40 lbs really doesn't sound like much, I agree. But, swap setups with someone who has 16 or 17 lb wheels and you will instantly feel a difference. The first set I put on the car were 16.5 lbs. Holy crap. The moment you drive you feel it. Better acceleration, braking, response in the turns.....It's like wearing a 25 lb back pack or wearing 25 lb shoes. It's not just the weight it's where the weight is.

Wheels are the easiest way to be "different" and put your own style on a vehicle. I don't agree with many choices but to each their own. If I'm going to change something it hopefully will make a performance difference as well as a visual.

Given this is a terrible platform to really go crazy on mods, you work with what you got. I'm starting a family soon. Need a double duty car that I get decent mpg and can still take to the track. One day if finances allow I'll build a designated track car but for now.....GTi it is.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I ordered some splash guards and I wanna get some lowering springs and drop it about an inch and the car will look perfect! Also those roof racks looks awesome.

I'd highly suggest not doing splash guards if you plan to lower your car. I already have enough problems with them at stock height. Mainly stupid speed bumps if I have anything heavy in my trunk or anyone sitting in the back seat. Just my $.02.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
If all you care about is looks, you bought the wrong car in the first place. If you care about functionality, almost all aftermarket wheels are lighter than Detroits = better acceleration, better braking, better handling, better mpg.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Why do people put aftermarket springs on?

I ordered some splash guards and I wanna get some lowering springs and drop it about an inch and the car will look perfect! Also those roof racks looks awesome.

:p

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Not to mention 17" wheels = better in every objective way AND cheaper AND have cheaper tires... it makes a lot of sense to ditch the Detroits or simply put them in storage until you sell the car.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I already have in my "So I got a GTI..." thread

Here -

Oh neat, a stock GTI. Haven't seen that before.