GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Starter clicking / problems

Dannyk0ed

I have a 2010 VW GTI DSG with 68k miles

Basically 3 weeks ago I drove to a park on a 90 degree weather day, parked the car, then let it sit there for 15 mins, got back to my car and tried starting it and it wouldn't start, just a loud click, thought it was my battery at first so went and bought a new one(battery was old anyways), wasnt the problems so I let it sit for 2 days before towing it

Went back to my car and it started up fine and took it home, let it sat for a good week and it started up fine for a good week no clicking

Yesterday, It was 47 degrees and I was going to start my car and it did the same thing, just clicked once, then I turned the ignition again and it started, then went back to work, got back to my car a few hours later and it wouldn't start at all, even tapped the starter with a wrench.

Is this a starter problem or an electrical problem? Thank you!

11gti718

Ready to race!
I know you replaced your battery but did you clean your terminal cable connections? A dirty connection will cause this. Also make sure the connections are tight. I'm sure you already knew this but doesn't hurt to double check.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I had exactly the same problem just after buying the car, I also thought it was the battery so bought a new one too, then I realised that the only thing that could cause it to randomly do this had to be the starter! I fitted a new one myself as it’s easily accessed and it’s been fine since, I’ve done over 20,000 miles so it’s definitely fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannyk0ed

I know you replaced your battery but did you clean your terminal cable connections? A dirty connection will cause this. Also make sure the connections are tight. I'm sure you already knew this but doesn't hurt to double check.

Yeah I tried doing that already, I’ll do it again just a strange problem.
I had exactly the same problem just after buying the car, I also thought it was the battery so bought a new one too, then I realised that the only thing that could cause it to randomly do this had to be the starter! I fitted a new one myself as it’s easily accessed and it’s been fine since, I’ve done over 20,000 miles so it’s definitely fixed.

Yeah it’s probably the starter then, but never thought they only last 70k, thank you :)

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Sounds like the starter could be it, mine was replaced around 80k (before I bought it).

If not that though, it sounds very similar to an issue I had with my last car where my fuel pump went out. If it’s not the starter, I’d check the fuel pump too.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Yeah I tried doing that already, I’ll do it again just a strange problem.

Yeah it’s probably the starter then, but never thought they only last 70k, thank you :)

Mine was on 82000 when it failed!