GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track Prices

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Never been to a track... But now that I've got my GTI I have the urge to let it rip on a track, somewhere I can really see what it can do but it looks too expensive here in the Seattle area. Seems like lots of you guys go hit the track and I'm interested on what you guys pay and if it's alot cheaper elsewhere...

What sort of prices do you guys pay to get on a track for a few laps?

It looks like it's close to $600 just to get on the track for the first time!?! Then almost 400 just to get on the track again. After that it looks like with a license by them you can lap the track for ONLY 245!!!

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Never been to a track... But now that I've got my GTI I have the urge to let it rip on a track, somewhere I can really see what it can do but it looks too expensive here in the Seattle area. Seems like lots of you guys go hit the track and I'm interested on what you guys pay and if it's alot cheaper elsewhere...

What sort of prices do you guys pay to get on a track for a few laps?

It looks like it's close to $600 just to get on the track for the first time!?! Then almost 400 just to get on the track again. After that it looks like with a license by them you can lap the track for ONLY 245!!!

I answered alot of that in this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6444

I even updated the thread with videos, but no one seems to notice:)

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Thanks PandaGTI. I had already looked through your thread, but it got a bit long and I missed your reply on prices.

So... From what I saw it looks like you were able to get on the track for very reasonable prices with anything from $20-50 bucks up to $250 for a couple day events.

I thought after nobody replied that I was just being naive at thinking I could track my car for anything less than a grand...

So what did you have to actually do to get on the track? Schedule a day and fill out some waiver forms? You didn't have to pay for hours worth of private lessons to get on the track, did you?

It's still just impossible to find some of this info on the local tracks websites. Maybe my nearest track is just stupid expensive, but at the prices you listed it would be cheaper to drive to Cali and race on your track than to use mine :)

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
sites for you to google:

Speed Ventures

Speed Trial USA

Redline Time Attack

LMK if you decide to come out to California:)

Cannon03

Ready to race!
Hey Dozer - look into BMW CCA and join a local chapter. I thinks it's $40/yr to join and then you have to pay for each event. They're really well organized and track days are usually about $2xx and that comes with an instructor. You don't need a BMW (I have an Acura). The guys/girls who attend these track days are all really cool. I've done two events so far and I'm hooked!

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Good idea Cannon. I hadn't thought of joining a non-VW club, but that may have to be it. I can't seem to find an $20-50 events anywhere in the area.

Not sure why it's so expensive in Seattle and affordable in California. It's just stupid expensive. I mean if I simply needed a grand to get in the door, maybe acquire a license for racing any US track that's one thing, but to pay a grand and then still for over hundreds just to get a lap in is stupid. I stopped skiing for the most part for a reason... $70 bucks a lift ticket plus gas to get there and expensive food makes for another expensive day.

Cannon03

Ready to race!
The BMW CCA was perfect for me. A little over $200 a day is pretty cheap when you consider you get an instructor with you all day giving you feedback. If you were experienced, $20 - $50 to let you loose on a track would be a great deal but being new to this, an experienced instructor showing you the proper lines and teaching you how drive fast is the way to go. Good luck and let us know when you finally get out there.

I went last week to Monticello in NY. Here's a clip of me chasing an M3 (and some others)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNB0SzIrjFA

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Most excellent video! I'm dying to get out on a track and do exactly that. Having an instructor would be awesome, I'd pay for that.

Cannon03

Ready to race!
ok...so i've got some time on my hands.

Here's a local BMW chapter near you...

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/

They have a track day in less than two weeks and then another one in August at Pacific Raceway!

You're welcome! And now you got now excuses! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think you'll get hooked. Let me know if you join up!

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
So after wandering round the GolfMK5 site which has lots of good "GTI" centric info I ran across this post...

So you want to do a track event

This is about the level I'm at when it comes to track events and I thought this write up was great. I feel like most of the actual track websites (which all seem to be built circa 1995) basically assume you are a track guru and know all the lingo. They all do a pretty horrible job at giving the simple info on how a normal person could get their non-racing street car on a course to simply drive for a day.

Now that I have a better understanding of how track days work with the clubs, it seems like finding a local event or two then joining the corresponding club is the way to go.

I still wish I could simply find a $20-50 road course event, but for now I'm going to target a drag strip about an hour away from me and see about lining up a track day elsewhere.