GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First affordable mods

Nick_C

So I just took ownership of a 2011 2-door GTI and I already love the car. It was a little quicker than I had expected from a stock GTI but still not quick/loud enough... As well as not quite as aggressive looking as I'd like.

I was wonder what would be a good first mod for the car performance wise. I have heard good things about an APR tune so I'm considering that but I'm also open to other ideas. Something that would add a modest amount of power and a better sound.

Cosmetically I would like to change out my Detroit rims for something that matches the black paint but is the same dimensions of the current rim so that I don't need to buy new tires too. I plan to put a roof rack on eventually too so I can bring my skis along with me to VT.

I'm open to any make but I'm looking for the best bang for my buck in both categories. Any suggestions are appreciated for rims, roof racks, and performance upgrades.

Attachments

• e94f5e8034ff26896adf2b28829c5638x.jpg
    e94f5e8034ff26896adf2b28829c5638x.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 633
  • a384a23c85a49fa0a213390e9aa8e526x.jpg
    a384a23c85a49fa0a213390e9aa8e526x.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 634
  • a4a4b8bc828a7787ca1e7384db505325x.jpg
    a4a4b8bc828a7787ca1e7384db505325x.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 735

Appogee

Ready to race!
Haha, hate to break it to you man but there are a lot of threads and stickies on this topic.

But... Here's what I did and I'm pretty budget oriented.

Intake + DP -> Stage 2
If you want suspension upgrades, I'd then go RSB first followed by coils because racecar and stance.

If Stage 2 isn't enough, Intercooler then you can either go big turbo, K04 or F23T. Your choice at that point.

In terms of tunes, this is my opinion, APR would be the Apple of the tuning world. They put out good stuff but it's at a premium. I've honestly considered DriverMotorsport, they seem like they've put out a lot of great tunes recently, but sadly there is no DM tuner near me so if you do I'd go that route. Uni and GIAC are both really solid too. I personally like a more personalized relationship with my tuner and GIAC/DM seem to offer that (But I've only really talked to GIAC & Austin). In terms of power though, DM's Stage 2, I believe, has recorded about 250whq/wtq or something like that with pump gas. So... yeah, pretty awesome.

I personally regret going APR because they function on reliability so they aren't too into custom tuning, but I might get some backlash for that. I'd go with either DM/GIAC/UNI. More so GIAC or DM because they have software for big turbo, F23T, and K04. Perhaps Uni is working on an F23 for the Mk6 but it's not really getting released from what I've seen. Uni, DM and GIAC do deal with water meth so if you're interested in that stuff, yeah.

If you want budget stuff, scour the classifieds for partouts.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Aftermarket air caps for your tires. :laugh:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Smoked sidemarkers
İnterior leds
Dogbone insert if manual
Short shifter if manual
Lamin x fog yellow tint n yellow fog bulbs

hvltg

Ready to race!
So I just took ownership of a 2011 2-door GTI and I already love the car. It was a little quicker than I had expected from a stock GTI but still not quick/loud enough... As well as not quite as aggressive looking as I'd like.

I was wonder what would be a good first mod for the car performance wise. I have heard good things about an APR tune so I'm considering that but I'm also open to other ideas. Something that would add a modest amount of power and a better sound.

Cosmetically I would like to change out my Detroit rims for something that matches the black paint but is the same dimensions of the current rim so that I don't need to buy new tires too. I plan to put a roof rack on eventually too so I can bring my skis along with me to VT.

I'm open to any make but I'm looking for the best bang for my buck in both categories. Any suggestions are appreciated for rims, roof racks, and performance upgrades.

stage 1 & keep the detroits. :D

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
Whatever you do, keep a balance of improving suspension, engine, and brakes. Stage 2 tune with stock suspension would be a waste unless you drive all highway. Coilovers with stock tune will leave you wanting more motor. I'm very pleased with the balance in my signature for a daily driver, but there are MANY other routes you can go.

Try to decide how much you might be willing to spend, reading thesis forums can be dangerous to your wallet.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Here is a good thread on how to start inexpensively modifying your GTI.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36928

My stage 0 recommendation is driver mod. Taking some driving courses will do more for your track/drag times than just about any car mod. A good driver will often beat an inexperienced driver in a faster car on the track

1st) Get some good tires, I mean really good. Tires are the single most important modification and will do more for your performance than anything else. Tires are how the power gets to the ground, they control how fast you can accelerate, stop, and turn. They are the most important safety item too. Grip is everything. I recommend for summer use only Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Trust me they make a big difference. ($900 approx)

2nd) Get a Stage 1 tune, it won't improve the sound of the car but it is a good improvement in performance (599ish)

3rd) upgrade your brakes, suggest stoptech pads front and rear and tyrol sport solid brake bushings. Make a big difference in brake feel.

4th) Sound get a downpipe/intake and go stage 2 (about 1K)

5th) SKIP suspension upgrades for performance, most won't improve your performance/ride. The ones that improve your car for certian track conditions are costly. I don't see much benefit to suspension mods for daily driven cars, unless you just like the "feel" of a particular setup. The stock setup is pretty good for high performance driving. Most suspension mods are mainly for looks/lowering. But if you want a cheap lowering I suggest Driver Gear Springs and keeping the stock dampers.

6) lighter rims will go a long way to improving your ride/handling.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Buy used parts!!!!!! Trust me, if you want to save money keep an eye on the classifieds on this forum.

Mistyped using tapatalk

Nick_C

I'm not sure if I would consider this a good first mod for me. Going from stock to Stage 4 in one shot is a bit pricey, that and I don't think I'll need that much power. This car is a daily driver I have my M3 if I want to go stupid fast hah

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Buy used parts!!!!!! Trust me, if you want to save money keep an eye on the classifieds on this forum.

Mistyped using tapatalk

This!^^

I've spent half the amount by buying used! Be patient there are going to be a slew of used parts for sale once the MK7 GTI's are out.

MooreBoost

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not sure if I would consider this a good first mod for me. Going from stock to Stage 4 in one shot is a bit pricey, that and I don't think I'll need that much power.

You got the smartass treatment because there are plenty of threads on your exact same question and everyone expects you to use the search function first.

I would purchase a used intake, a used downpipe, then get a Stage 2 tune.

Nick_C

You got the smartass treatment because there are plenty of threads on your exact same question and everyone expects you to use the search function first.

I would purchase a used intake, a used downpipe, then get a Stage 2 tune.

Figured hah I wasn't sure at first and yeah I probably should have searched first but I'm new to forums too. Just trying to get a feel for all of this.