GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Manual Driver

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
There's no "right way" to do any of this really, it's all down to how it feels for you and the situation. I learned to drive stick on my MkV and I always drove just like you are now, as I got more experience I started downshifting but I rarely do it even now just because it's usually pointless IMO. The one situation that I do recommend downshifting is in low grip situations like snow or heavy rain because I want to be a gear that lets me power out of bad situations or avoid having to slam the brakes, especially up or down hills

Ex. 1
I only downshift if I know I can make the turn in one shot. If I'm in a populated area chances are I have to stop or slow down while watching for oncoming cars so I won't downshift. I let the drag from the driveline slow the car naturally and pop it in neutral when the revs drop low enough

Ex 2
If there are other people at the stop sign, or people coming through the intersection from another direction, I don't downshift. If it's just me or I know I can do a roll through in 1st or 2nd then I downshift. If I actually have to come to a full stop it's not worth the effort to downshift

Ex 3
I started with the handbrake trick. Hold the lever, let out the clutch until it catches, give it a little gas and release the lever at the same time. To use the brakes it's basically the same idea except you have to get you right foot from the brake to the throttle quickly and without panicking

mrcainmd

I've been driving manual for about 9 years now, had a Corolla before I got my GTI in November, both manual. I've never heard and never used the "never be in neutral while moving" thing before. Is this an actual thing? What are the supposed downfalls of moving while in neutral?

AngstyPotato

I've been driving manual for about 9 years now, had a Corolla before I got my GTI in November, both manual. I've never heard and never used the "never be in neutral while moving" thing before. Is this an actual thing? What are the supposed downfalls of moving while in neutral?

From what I've heard/read, it takes away control and the ability to pick up and accelerate in an emergency.

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14745

Do that mod, it helps with clutch feel and only takes 30 min to do.

came in here to give some insight, but leaving with new information, definitely doing this! :thumbsup: the delay is so annoying, makes me feel bad for my passengers when i have them.

as far as your driving scenarios (OP) you're right but as someone said you should throw it into gear before starting your turn, it's ok to be in neutral while slowing down, it's better to be in your exit gear when starting your turn incase you need to make any adjustments. As far as being in a higher gear (2nd or higher) and having to come to a full stop, I personally I just leave it in the gear I was in or downshift once and let it slow + apply necessary brake input until RPMS drop then pop it in neutral for the rest of the braking/stop. And as for the 3rd scenario, practice practice practice.

12 years manual transmission driver, my 1st car was a 5spd mk4 GTI that was in 2004 and it's what I learned on. Many hours of empty parking lots with my father and inactive hilly side streets is where and how I started my journey into the master race.

Last edited:

Andrew429

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I'm completly new to driving a manual transmission. I just purchased a 2011 GTI in 6 Speed Manual and I've been learning to drive it for the past 3 days. I think I'm doing quite well as I can now manage to get where I'm going without stalling but I still have a lot of technical questions about 'the right thing' to do in various situations.

I've been watching YouTube videos on the subjects when I can but it's tough as everyone seems to give slightly different advice.

Anyway, here some examples of scenarios that confuse me:

Ex. 1:
I'm driving down a kind-of main road in my neighborhood where I'm in 5th gear and doing about 40-45 MPH. I need to slow down to about 10-15 MPH to make a right turn onto a side street.

In this type of situation I've been depressing the clutch when I get near the corner, making the turn and then shifting accordingly after I complete the turn (usually into 2nd gear). Is this wrong?

I've been talking to my grandpa (he used to work on cars and has owned 3 manual cars in the past) and he told me not to do this as you want the car to always be in gear. Should I be downshifting as I slow down and again as I make the turn?

Ex 2:
This is basically the same type of question but concerns driving straight rather than making a turn.

Say I am driving local, am in 2nd gear, doing about 20-25 MPH and approaching a stop sign. With this type of situation I've been putting the car in neutral as I near the stop sign, braking, and then shifting into 1st when I take back off

Should I also be avoiding shifting into neutral in this situation too? Would it be better to downshift into 1st as I near the stop sign and use the engine to brake?

Ex 3:
Hill starts still freak me out a bit in traffic as I'm afraid of either rolling back or stalling and causing problems.

What's the best approach to handling hill starts? (ether as a beginner or just in general)

I'm aware of the E-Brake method but still have not tried it. Is that the best method or is it better to, on a hill, ease off the clutch until you feel its catching point then take your foot off the brake and quickly give the car gas?

-
These situations basically sum up what I still need to learn about driving a manual. I'd like to know the best things to do in these types of situations as I would like to drive as safely and efficiently as possible.

Any replies are much appreciated and thank you in advance if you do leave any reply.

I've been driving manual for 4 years now, and my dad taught me it when I was about 8-10 years old. Never shift into first while you're still rolling unless if you're rolling pretty slowly, it's bad for your transmission and it doesn't feel nice at all (if you let out the clutch), also coasting to the stop sign in neutral is perfectly fine, however I usually engine break just about the whole way, once I get to like 10 miles per hour then I push in the clutch and shift into neutral. Also when your waiting at a light you should wait with the car in neutral and clutch pedal out to save the wear on the throw out bearing. In the future when you feel good on the basics I suggest you practice rev matching your down shifts it'll make them a lot more smooth and it'll be beneficial to your transmission and clutch. As for turning, I never turn in neutral, I down shift into either second or third depending on the turn

Last edited:

thedaemon

I've been driving manual for 15 years. Here are a few tips:

1) Never shift into 1st gear unless you are completely stopped.
2) Use your brakes not your clutch/engine to slow down. Brake pads are much cheaper than a clutch.
3) When approaching a stop sign or red light I usually stay in the gear that I was in and put it in neutral when the rpm's are really low and I'm about to stop.
4) I don't turn in neutral either. It's either stay in my gear or downshift. You don't want to be shifting in the middle of a turn.
5) If I do downshift to slow down I rev match. By this I mean I: 1) let off gas and press in clutch. 2) shift to next gear. 3) rev motor to the rpms that the gear will engage in. 4) let off clutch and press gas. (You will learn where the rpms will be for rev matching after more experience driving your car.
5) For uphill this takes muscle memory of your clutch foot. You will basically do what you said.. but to further describe it: You have feet on brake and clutch pedals, let out clutch pedal to beginning of the friction point, let off brake and start on the gas while releasing the clutch. Sounds complicated but it's easy once your leg muscles are used to the actions. It becomes a no-brainer.

If you have any more questions let us know.

Enjoy the connected feeling of driving a manual transmission!