GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 series vs gti

gixracer

ok....
I have both and am in the exact quandary you are entering. This my current e46 (for sale)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1087754&highlight=

pros e46 - rwd, great handling, parts are plentiful, killer chassis, lighter weight
cons e46 - no longer relevant motor, maintenance, addicting

pro mk6 gti - fun, parts availability, can keep dd status
cons mk6 gti - FWD, non-traditional track handling

I have been thinking of getting rid of my mutt e46 because I know that with a couple more grand it can be a track beast. The downside is the money and the money pit that it will be. I have a Mk6 gti but the the FWD idea doesn't match the ideas as a track car. Skillset set aside I have been leet down by the GTI for a track day tool. my E46 shines but still has a ton more to go with setup and parts to make it shine.

I aready have a jeep for the winter, but want a DD for spring summer fall. the E46 is too much for that and the GTI is great but I do not have the $ for all three and need to cut back from 3 to 2 vehicles. I know the limits of the GTI and don't know if I can stomach the FWD :23:
It doesn't help that that VW cars as a whole have dropped big in resale the last 3 months.

Last edited:

SyDiko

Ready to race!
How about a boxster??? any opnions on the last gen boxsters? theres a few decent ones around here

been looking for e30s too i really like , hard to find a nice one in New England

cant find a reasonably priced s2000

An S2K would be nice if you could find one, but that would eat up any mod money. And, the Boxster would be a pain to fix and costly to maintain.

The equation is simple for you my friend, $8K + Track = Miata.

Also, where are you looking to track? Over at Epping?

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
ok....
I have both and am in the exact quandary you are entering. This my current e46 (for sale)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1087754&highlight=

pros e46 - rwd, great handling, parts are plentiful, killer chassis, lighter weight
cons e46 - no longer relevant motor, maintenance, addicting

pro mk6 gti - fun, parts availability, can keep dd status
cons mk6 gti - FWD, non-traditional track handling

I have been thinking of getting rid of my mutt e46 because I know that with a couple more grand it can be a track beast. The downside is the money and the money pit that it will be. I have a Mk6 gti but the the FWD idea doesn't match the ideas as a track car. Skillset set aside I have been leet down by the GTI for a track day tool. my E46 shines but still has a ton more to go with setup and parts to make it shine.

I aready have a jeep for the winter, but want a DD for spring summer fall. the E46 is too much for that and the GTI is great but I do not have the $ for all three and need to cut back from 3 to 2 vehicles. I know the limits of the GTI and don't know if I can stomach the FWD :23:
It doesn't help that that VW cars as a whole have dropped big in resale the last 3 months.

I'd ditch the Jeep. A GTI on winter tires is unstoppable, no reason you can't winter it.

Have you tracked the E46 yet? I hear people worry all the time that their car isn't up to it but I can tell you with certainty that unless it's falling apart the car is never the limiting factor. A bone stock E46 is a great car and it'll take years to learn to drive it properly.

I'm not sure what you mean by a motor that isn't relevant anymore.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I'd ditch the Jeep. A GTI on winter tires is unstoppable, no reason you can't winter it.

Have you tracked the E46 yet? I hear people worry all the time that their car isn't up to it but I can tell you with certainty that unless it's falling apart the car is never the limiting factor. A bone stock E46 is a great car and it'll take years to learn to drive it properly.

I'm not sure what you mean by a motor that isn't relevant anymore.
I would argue against getting rid of the Jeep as a winter beater. The gti is certainly capable, but does not have the ground clearance of a jeep, which is useful if not neccesary when roads have been plowed, melted, and refrozen into blocks of ice just waiting for a tasty vw oil pan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dpspeed

For the money, BMW E36. If it is a track car, buy one with a nice interior (seats can be crap). Replace with rollbar, seats, harnesses.

Update old stuff - pads, fluids, bushings

Then, do some coilovers.

Drive the crap out of it.

Miatas are GREAT track cars, BUT unless you engine swap or turbo, they are SLOW as you move up the track day ladder (HPDE1 - HPDE 3/4).

The E36 has enough power even in 325/328i trim to be a fast track car. Get an M3 if you can find one. They are going to be in the $5k range with around 200k, the 325/328s will be $2k-3k.

E36s may be the best bang for the buck track car that no one is really talking about now. I loved mine and if I was building a track car, I'd get another one.

RWD for the win!

I like AWD, but Subys eat pads, rotors, etc like my Mustang Cobra track car (higher speed & HEAVY)

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
I would argue against getting rid of the Jeep as a winter beater. The gti is certainly capable, but does not have the ground clearance of a jeep, which is useful if not neccesary when roads have been plowed, melted, and refrozen into blocks of ice just waiting for a tasty vw oil pan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

In that case I'd get rid of the GTI. Nothing will make it handle as well as an E46.

I can't speak for how you feel about the daily but with the amount of tracking and autocross I do now I have zero interest in having a nice street car. I've completely stopped caring so I'd just choose the one that works best year round and sell the other one.

gixracer

Given my job/kids I need the Jeep to move haul crap around. I traded my Silverado in for my GTI. Did the winter thing with snows last year. Frozen subframes suck and the Jeep works much better.

The BMW has been on the track and I have experience on the track. My decision in becoming more of a financial/space decision. The e46 is great but its limited by equipment, not driver, at this time.

My other issue is using the BMW enough to warrant the $ input to enjoy it on the track. I am wondering if I will be let down by the FWD limitation or will i be pleased enough for the 3 or so times venturing out to the track.

It doesn't help that I have put a lot of time into the BMW and the idea of a project is always fun.

Driving the GTI is fun but to what extent? selling it now would hurt financially because of the diesel bs and VW not a responsible brand. my kkb/ trade in dropped $3k last October.:evil:

schulmann

Passed Driver's Ed
My previous track car was a 330ci, I clocked 100 000 mi when I sold and still runs perfectly. It was superchared with AA and did about 40000mi on track. Very good car but rust eats the body.

Modifications cost the same as on the GTI.

I was bored so I sold it.

The MK6 is from another generation. 10 years younger. Tuning the engin is easier. The build quality of the GTI is much better.

But the 330ci was a king on the track. GTI is more civilized to go to work and do some lapping.