GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger wheel sticking out more than driverside after lowering.

kram

Ready to race!
Hi there,

Recently had Koni struts & DG springs installed. Had to do the fender screw mod due to rubbing. Had still heard a bit of rubbing on hard bumps (while turning) on the passenger side...but today realized how bad it was. The fender apparently has cut a groove into my new DWS :(:( & the fender underneath is bent to crap (no one will really see it, but I know its there).

Anyway - it appears the passenger side wheel is sticking out more than the driverside. Driverside never rubs. Is this something an alignment will take care of or do I need to mess with the subframe? I did have it aligned when the suspension was done, but maybe should have waited till it settled...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• 20171122_125841.jpg
    20171122_125841.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 20171122_125850.jpg
    20171122_125850.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 20171122_125854.jpg
    20171122_125854.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 374

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I remember people having this issue on mk4's all the time. I don't remember what the fix for it was other than just run a spacer on the other side to make it even.

kram

Ready to race!
I remember people having this issue on mk4's all the time. I don't remember what the fix for it was other than just run a spacer on the other side to make it even.

Yeah, I couldnt find much info that applied to MK6's... Just older gens w/ this issue. :(

Shouldve mentioned earlier... Not sure if it makes a difference, but the wheel bearing on passenger side was replaced about a year or so ago...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Roll the fenders

And I'd touch up that big chip on the fender....you don't want that to start rusting

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Make sure whoever rolls the fenders uses a heat gun. I don't think the shop that did mine used one, and now all that paint on the lip underneath is cracked and chipping.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Make sure whoever rolls the fenders uses a heat gun. I don't think the shop that did mine used one, and now all that paint on the lip underneath is cracked and chipping.

That shop shouldn't be in business if they have to half-ass a simple fender roll. A good heat gun can be purchased from your local hardware store for around $20.

Pakman332

Ready to race!
I had this issue as well, rolled fenders helped a lot. It can still rub but only if I hit a very big dip at speed or something.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10_white_gti

Could be due to the k member not being centered or it’s moved over time. Once you loosen the k member bolts the k member has a lot of play in all directions. Mine loosened up and shifted on me and I was getting knocking noise during breaking and acceleration..had to reposition it and crank the bolts back down. IIRC these are stretch bolts and should be replaced but I just tighten them back up and never had the issue since.