GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
dudemanz
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Sunroof and Nav
Adding a sub. Where to install crossovers for front speakers?

I am going to add a sub and amp I took from my old BMW and put them in my GTI. I have been reading about people turning down the bass on the head unit after installing a sub but this sounds lame to me. Adding crossovers to the speakers seems like a way to get much better sound from the stock speakers. Before I enter into this project, I'd like to know where I can place the crossovers. In other cars, I've dropped them inside the doors with some padding to keep them from rattling. Is there room in the GTI doors? Where else could they go?
dudemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
nadams5755
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 cw gti
Send a message via AIM to nadams5755
if you're putting them in the door, i would put them between the door panel and the plastic door frame. putting them between the door skin and plastic door frame could result in water damage.

if you reach in your front door pockets toward the back, the pocket goes basically all the way the way back, about as far as the reflector. you could stuff the xover in there, drill some holes in the back of the pocket for wires.

there's also room inside the door panel/card above the midbass itself.
nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
dudemanz
Oval Newbie

Thanks. I just had the thought that it would be easier if I could install the crossovers behind the head unit somewhere. I could avoid taking the doors apart. I would cut the front L/R wires, run them from the head unit to the crossover and connect the speaker wires to the out on the crossover. Is there room under the dash to store them? Does it sound easier than installing in the doors? Thx.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
dudemanz
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
Before you go through the purchase & time & effort of installing the crossover, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to *try* the system w/ your sub without a crossover first. It might just end up being "good enough".
Good point. I should put in the sub and amp first and try turning down the bass on the HU. However, I already have adjustable crossovers from another set of speakers so I dont need to spend $$. It might be good enough to turn down the bass but I won't know how good it could be with crossovers without trying. I am a bit of an audiophile but I am also cheap. I'll do the best I can with minimum $$.