GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Word, I'll take a closer look at them this weekend before I take my wheels off.
I got my appointment set to get them powdercoated next week. I'm excited. :happyanim:
What's that cost per wheel? I need this done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
What's that cost per wheel? I need this done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've seen shops do it as cheap as $75, like if a sale was going on or something like that. Typically it seems to be about $100-110 a wheel. I'm being charged $125 per wheel, plus $20 per wheel for unmount/remount tires plus rebalancing, and I have one wheel with a bit of curb damage they're repairing for free, so altogether $580.

I want to do candy red, so he said that's a tristage job that takes a few days to do and takes more time and materials, so it's a little bit more per wheel.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Dub_Polo

Ready to race!
I am Cobb OTS stage 1+ tune and am used to seeing boost around 16-17 psi but now for some reason whenever I go WOT I’m only about 14 and sometimes hit 15, but rarely. What could be the problem? The DV?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I am Cobb OTS stage 1+ tune and am used to seeing boost around 16-17 psi but now for some reason whenever I go WOT I’m only about 14 and sometimes hit 15, but rarely. What could be the problem? The DV?
cold air. Is denser than warm air so less boost is needed.

Dub_Polo

Ready to race!
Its colder. You need less boost since the air is denser. Now if this just happened then yeah I would check out dv Oring

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cold air. Is denser than warm air so less boost is needed.

Gotcha I was just worried, but do plan on investing on a GFB DV+ soon just incase.

Hey Dub_Polo! As already stated cold air is denser so it is normal to see lower boost numbers in cold weather.

15psi is still pretty normal for our OTS stage 1+ map which targets for 17psi with a variance of +/- 2psi.

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/98606275/Map+Notes+for+MK6+GTI

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Yeah your car is most likely load target tuned so psi will change to meet the load. This pid loop control is better for variations in fuel, climate, and other unforseen variables.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

robin8tor

So here's my stupid question. 2010 GTI, 123,xxx miles, 6mt. Everything is stock except a Magnaflow CBA, no tune.

In the last month, I've had two coil packs go randomly. Both times it happened in 3rd gear around 2.5-3k rpm, under moderate to heavy acceleration out of a corner. It felt like it started to build boost, then a pop, CEL, misfiring. Is this normal of coil packs to wear out and fail like this, is it an indicator of a larger issue?

Thanks in advance.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So here's my stupid question. 2010 GTI, 123,xxx miles, 6mt. Everything is stock except a Magnaflow CBA, no tune.

In the last month, I've had two coil packs go randomly. Both times it happened in 3rd gear around 2.5-3k rpm, under moderate to heavy acceleration out of a corner. It felt like it started to build boost, then a pop, CEL, misfiring. Is this normal of coil packs to wear out and fail like this, is it an indicator of a larger issue?

Thanks in advance.
If they are original coil packs yes. 125k miles is a bit. I changed mine at 60k and will again at probably 100k just for funsies.

Get The Audi r8 red top coils (about same price as oem VW) they are a little stronger.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

Thanks in advance.

Switch them all to R8 coil packs and you shouldn't have any more failures, stock ones stop working regularly.

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Here's a question that is the definition of this threads origins: What is the top speed at which you can set cruise control?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Here's a question that is the definition of this threads origins: What is the top speed at which you can set cruise control?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would assume cruise control is not limited by top speed, but there's only 1 way to find out...