GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Reliability?

DarrenM333

Sorry if this has been asked previously and I just couldn't find it (I'm sure it has). Also to the mods, if this isn't in the right place, please feel free to move it!
I don't own a GTI yet, but I am extremely interested in it and it is on the top of my list of cars I want when the time comes to buy. I have of course heard of some reliability stories, and I have also found a little on google. But for the most part, I am struggling to find anything that is really long term. What I'm curious about is how reliable are these things after the warranty. I appreciate any and all stories, but what I am most interested in is hearing from someone who has had one of these for a good while. Even people who have had previous generations, please share!

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
I have 3 years of ownership and have the intake manifold replaced due to failure of cylinders flap sensor. My dealer did replace the piece for free even though i am out of warranty. no other issues. Some people say many rattles, road noise..etc..but I do not have these issues.

Last edited:

forks&spoons

Passed Driver's Ed
I've owned my GTI since July 2010 it's been a great car. The car has remained stock and now I'm at 55,XXX miles. I have started to get CEL @ around 52K which was disappointing. One of the Coil Packs gave out which is a common problem and an easy fix. Just yesterday my CEL came on again and I have no idea what the problem is, until I get the code read. Just keep up on routine maintenance and the car should last a good while.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Lots of threads on GTI reliability.

Google, then type "GTI Reliability site:golfmk6.com" and you'll get a list of threads.

65Strad

Ready to race!
Daughter's (mine new)1989 (bridge car) MKIV Wolfsburg Jetta 219,000 miles. Just retired. Engine is great, shock housings are rotted/rusted out.

.phase

Ready to race!
Seems to me that searching for reliability on the internet will only give you negative reinforcement: mostly horror stories will pop up. It's the easiest thing to spend time writing when you're fuming over repair fees and inconveniences.

I think the fact is, automobiles in general are just pretty goddamned reliable these days. Japanese, German, American, doesn't matter. Decades of engineering and innovation, but all around improving the same basic principle. Put combustible fuel into a tank and make it systematically propel you through an axle and wheels. Grotesque oversimplification and any automotive mechanic and engineer would slaughter me for it, but you get the point.

The biggest factor in the extreme reliability of cars or any machine in this age is the fact that precision parts are much easier to get right more often. Your chance of getting a lemon is still there, but catastrophic failure should show itself well within your warranty period.

Don't abuse the engine, maintenance, and I think everything will be A-OK.

For obvious reasons, a maker won't tell you their statistics on reliability, but guess what? If the numbers didn't pan out, there would be no market share for the vehicle.

A bit off topic, but entertaining--this reminds me of what a biochemist friend of mine once said:
People do popular drugs like coke, meth, mdma, and lsd because for the most part, they're safe. They don't kill you in a single dose. They just send you some place close. ;) Drugs aren't a problem, drug abuse is.

Cars aren't a problem, abusive drivers/owners are. I think back to all the people who've had car trouble, and to be quite honest, they're slobs who never took care of anything. The contrary is rare.

My 2cents.

GTI Geo

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, knock on wood, but I have had my 2011 GTI for 2 1/2 years, with 30K miles with only two issues, both fixed under warranty. One was a faulty TPMS sensor, and the other was the silly sunglass holder that would randomly pop open. Other than that, it has been great. :D

it really is a hit or miss / black or white thing with these cars.

I hear of busted water pumps and crapped out intake manis and soiled coils and crappy window motors etc etc.

And then I hear of those who have sunglass holder issues, and that's about it.

I have run my 2012 for 14 months now, and have only cosmetic issues (rubber seals).

The engine and electrics seems to be plugging along fine.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
it really is a hit or miss / black or white thing with these cars.

I hear of busted water pumps and crapped out intake manis and soiled coils and crappy window motors etc etc.

And then I hear of those who have sunglass holder issues, and that's about it.

I have run my 2012 for 14 months now, and have only cosmetic issues (rubber seals).

The engine and electrics seems to be plugging along fine.

It truly is hit/miss with these cars and that may be the case with any Euro car. With VW it almost seems like it depends on who built your car or what day...quality is very inconsistent for some reason.

That being said, I think that I got lucky (knocks on wood) since so far in 46k miles I only had the somewhat rare hpfp failure. There is actually a somewhat secret TSB for this which I recently learned...VW sent a shipment of 2011 GTI and Tiggys over with leaded fuel in the tank! This caused corrosion and eventual failure of the hpfp.

If I had to do it again I honestly don't know. I do love this car but if you plan to mod AND you get one of the lower quality GTIs you could have a tough road as some VW dealers will help you and others will show you the door.