GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner trying to track down Rattle

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guys this is my first post on here, iv lurked here and there especially since wanting to upgrade to an MK6 and then buying one.

a little history about me, iv owned many vws 2 mk3 jettas and 4 mk4 jettas so i decided to get into a mk6 gti after driving my buddys .

as for the issue, i bought the car 3 weeks ago and on the test drive and for the first few days the car was perfect, no rattles nothing. a few days into ownership i noticed a rattle like a little metal ticking noise

LINK TO NOISE
https://youtu.be/aZU3VxIgEUw

so i called the dealership and they said no problem we'll look at it, so i take it in they find that some of my heat shield screws were loose, so they tightened them all up and i got the car back and it drove fine for another few days until the rattle came back. so i call again and they said okay bring it in, they couldn't replicate the sound that day but i had asked since i googled common mk6 gti rattles, if they could install the waste gate rod clip to eliminate that as a source of the rattle, so they agreed and installed the clip. again got the car back drive fine for now the longest period of time a week then suddenly its back. so i called them and they said okay bring it in next week and we'll keep it until its completely resolved and everyone is satisfied. until then i want to find out myself or maybe narrow down some possible issues for them to check out next week. iv taped up my door strike, tightened my glove box and hvac controls (as suggested from google searches), inspected the cabin air filter and made sure it was in properly. and the rattle is still there, its coming from around the glovebox area, the only things thats left is the blower motor at this point, which i have a feeling is my issue, but its strange, the noise doesnt stop or get worse if the hvac is off or at high speed, it will go away if im at a complete stop, or ina high or low rpm range. between 2000- 3500 rpm with the fan speed on low is when i hear the noise but again its not constant and if i turn the hvac off it doesnt go away. im thinking it may be the bearings in the blower motor, if im between a certain RPM range i can almost replicate the sound. Does it make sense that the bearings could be slightly loose causing a small vibration in the blower motor at lower fan speeds? and again to make this clear this noise doesnt happen all the time or even every day thats why im so confused.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
First off the rattles in the mk6 are NEVER coming from where you think they are coming from but always weirdly seem to be coming from the passenger side/ glove box area, I very much doubt it's the blower motor! I'm going to say it's the rubber protector on the throttle cable that's between the heat shield and body at the start of the exhaust tunnel on the fire wall directly behind the engine, it has a sort of star shaped cross section, I had it on my mk5 and on both mk6's I've owned, I just sprayed some WD40 on it and it never came back.

+ 2010 carbon steel grey GTI manual +

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
To find it look over the gear box between the battery and engine at the exhaust tunnel, you'll see it resting on the heat shield, also tap the heat shield while you're there as it can make a noise like that, the video does make me think heat shield under the car.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Other things to try are handbrake button, over head glasses holder, centre arm rest lid, make sure the sliding mechanism on the front seats are clicked in properly, screws behind the panels (fuse box) at either end of the dash that are accessed when front doors are open, scuttle panel at base of windscreen under the wipers, sounds to me like a sort of squeaking noise though which leads me to think the first solution may be correct! Or if it is indeed a squeak (it's hard to tell from the video) it could be the door rubber seals squeaking against the doors, I cured this on mine with PTFE spray.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Also the waste gate rattle doesn't sound the same as the noise in your video!

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
I agree that the rattles are NEVER where you think they are. I had one I thought was coming from the front drivers side wheel area. Turns out it was the fold down rear center cup holders, wasn't pushed in enough. I removed every single piece of trim in the hatch area and put foam and those little felt pads that you put on table and chair legs on every surface that comes into contact with another. I have done the same with the center console and the notorious passenger glovebox rattle. Everything rattles on these cars, its never what you think it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
hey guys thanks so much for the replies, i posted the same question on VW vortex and got zero help... anyways i finally did track it down and in fact it was the blower motor. the noise became more constant so it got easier to track down, it was funny i turned off my climatronic to hear the noise better and it disappeared so i tried it a few times and bingo i found the issue. I posted a video below showing me turning on and off the climatronic and the noise comes and goes with it, if anyone has a similar sound i tracked it down to the blower motor, i assume the bearings are shot, called the dealership and they're replacing it for free since i only bought it a couple weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQpRt0gA-Hc

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Quite a while back I used to work as an automotive air conditioning installer, squeaky/noisy motors were nearly always down to dust ingress into the bearings but would on some occasions fix themselves after a while, we just replaced the motor though as the noise would nearly always return, yours however reminds me of when the fan drums were out of balance, had a broken slat or there was simply something stuck in there such as a leaf (although the cabin filter shouldn't allow this) Whichever it is glad you found the root cause!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Hi guys this is my first post on here, iv lurked here and there especially since wanting to upgrade to an MK6 and then buying one.

a little history about me, iv owned many vws 2 mk3 jettas and 4 mk4 jettas so i decided to get into a mk6 gti after driving my buddys .

as for the issue, i bought the car 3 weeks ago and on the test drive and for the first few days the car was perfect, no rattles nothing. a few days into ownership i noticed a rattle like a little metal ticking noise

LINK TO NOISE
https://youtu.be/aZU3VxIgEUw

so i called the dealership and they said no problem we'll look at it, so i take it in they find that some of my heat shield screws were loose, so they tightened them all up and i got the car back and it drove fine for another few days until the rattle came back. so i call again and they said okay bring it in, they couldn't replicate the sound that day but i had asked since i googled common mk6 gti rattles, if they could install the waste gate rod clip to eliminate that as a source of the rattle, so they agreed and installed the clip. again got the car back drive fine for now the longest period of time a week then suddenly its back. so i called them and they said okay bring it in next week and we'll keep it until its completely resolved and everyone is satisfied. until then i want to find out myself or maybe narrow down some possible issues for them to check out next week. iv taped up my door strike, tightened my glove box and hvac controls (as suggested from google searches), inspected the cabin air filter and made sure it was in properly. and the rattle is still there, its coming from around the glovebox area, the only things thats left is the blower motor at this point, which i have a feeling is my issue, but its strange, the noise doesnt stop or get worse if the hvac is off or at high speed, it will go away if im at a complete stop, or ina high or low rpm range. between 2000- 3500 rpm with the fan speed on low is when i hear the noise but again its not constant and if i turn the hvac off it doesnt go away. im thinking it may be the bearings in the blower motor, if im between a certain RPM range i can almost replicate the sound. Does it make sense that the bearings could be slightly loose causing a small vibration in the blower motor at lower fan speeds? and again to make this clear this noise doesnt happen all the time or even every day thats why im so confused.

You did also say the noise didn't go away with the blower OFF, (which has affected the replies received) so which is it?

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
You did also say the noise didn't go away with the blower OFF, (which has affected the replies received) so which is it?

at first the issue was very intermittent and would happen once every few days so it was hard to diagnose, i had tried turning the climatronic on and off before and it didnt seem to help or maybe i didnt have it off long enough for the noise to disappear. but now the noise is constant and happens everytime the heat is on so it was much easier to find out, i had turned the heat off to get a better listen as i was driving and i guess i had it off long enough that the blower stopped making that noise and i tried it a few more times and it the noise came and went with the heat being turned on and off.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
Quite a while back I used to work as an automotive air conditioning installer, squeaky/noisy motors were nearly always down to dust ingress into the bearings but would on some occasions fix themselves after a while, we just replaced the motor though as the noise would nearly always return, yours however reminds me of when the fan drums were out of balance, had a broken slat or there was simply something stuck in there such as a leaf (although the cabin filter shouldn't allow this) Whichever it is glad you found the root cause!

i assume mine just started to give out as i took ownership of the car as it wasnt present on the test drive and for the few days i owned the car, then it was slowly getting worse and happening only a few times during the week and now its rattling every time the heat is on. i had checked the cabin air filter it looks brand new so it should have caught anything, but oh well the dealership has been amazing to me and they're swapping it free of charge so im happy now!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
learn to embrace the rattles or the rattles will win.

tuchbr

The most annoying rattle I had was coming from the glove compartment handle, it was a loose screw. Very hard to find.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
The most annoying rattle I had was coming from the glove compartment handle, it was a loose screw. Very hard to find.

i can imagine, this rattle was driving me mental, luckily i have an appointment with the dealership with Saturday, i went through tightening everything i could find so narrow down my search