GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle Pedal Lag/Dead Space

DavC

i've gad some cars that seemed to have some play in the pedal ... as in the pivot point , depending on how high or low you push on the pedal .. ??

maybe the pedal is pivoting slightly before what it is hooked to actually moves .. ??

i've noticed this also ... but i haven't tried adjusting how/where i actually push on the pedal yet .. ?

haven't climbed under there to look yet ...

DavC

kabz

Ready to race!
Drive the car a bit harder and it's much better. I've been driving pretty modestly during the first 1000 miles or so, but now starting to get on it a bit. Just back from the store, and the DSG was wayyyy better on shiffting, much quicker and blippier than it has been, which translates into much less lurching on that tricky 3 -> 2 change.

This obviously includes the takeoff from a standstill, which is obviously nothing to do with the turbo, and everything to do with how quickly the DSG thinks it should let the clutch out and hold off applying the throttle / advancing the spark.

DSG: Misery on downshifts is balanced by the joy on upshifts.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'll chime in on this one. In my experience this lag is a combination of the torque limiter and the ECU trying to rev the engine safely. I drove an '09 jetta 2.5 (mt) for a while that had the same symptom in 1st and even second. It definitely felt like a torque limiter back then.

I see parallels with motor controls (read: electric motor drives), where you can't just inject a whole bunch of current immediately - you have to catch the rotor in the right angle before you strengthen the field and accelerate it. Otherwise you could cause acoustic noise, torque ripple or snap the shaft. In the engine, I can imagine the ECU would wait until it hits the right cam angle before it lets the engine produce torque. I feel the lag only when I'm coming off idle, and it's uneven at best, which to me is pointing toward the rotational position of the engine.

EDIT: I also notice the issue is much less prevalent when ESC is switched off.