GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PERFECT BREAK IN

GTI-VI

Ready to race!
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this thread but anyways , can i get some of your opinions of what you think is the perfect break in for you cars . :w00t:

joema2

Ready to race!
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this thread but anyways , can i get some of your opinions of what you think is the perfect break in for you cars . :w00t:
The owner's manual says restrict throttle and rpms for 600 mi, then gradually use more until 1,000 mi.

An opposite example is my CBR1000RR sportbike. It was uncrated, assembled, and strapped down on a dyno. Its first 200 miles were on a dyno, and after 9,000 street miles it runs fine and doesn't use any oil.

Certain car mfgs run each engine on a dyno at high power before building the car. Other mfgs (like Ferrari) track test each car before selling it. Even a brand new one has already been thrashed pretty hard at the factory track.

There are valid opinions on both sides of the break-in issue. Besides anecdotal experience (like mine), nobody really knows for sure.

To know for certain you'd have to treat it like a medical question, say whether a certain diet causes cancer. You'd have to follow dozens or hundreds of new vehicles over their operational life, meticulously tracking the break in, operational use, maintenance, environment, etc. Such studies are expensive.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd mainly avoid obvious things -- don't hop on the freeway and set cruise control for long periods, etc. Vary engine rpm and load -- that kind of thing.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you own a dyno or something!? I can't imagine what 200 miles on a dyno costs...

joema2

Ready to race!
Do you own a dyno or something!? I can't imagine what 200 miles on a dyno costs...
It was combined dyno break-in plus more runs to build a custom air/fuel map. It was done by the dealer as an optional procedure.

It doesn't take that long, nor was it extremely expensive. Many of the runs were in 6th gear, at a road speed of 180 mph or greater -- that's 3 miles per minute. Total time on the dyno was less than 2 hr.

bludool

Passed Driver's Ed
I am 45 years old and have owned at least 10 new cars. I have always drove them hard from the start and never, repeat never had an oil burner. I have friends who have followed the "break in" procedure to a "T" and had oil consumption issues. I am a fan of drive it hard, if something isn't right, break it early and let the warranty resolve the problem.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
I am 45 years old and have owned at least 10 new cars. I have always drove them hard from the start and never, repeat never had an oil burner. I have friends who have followed the "break in" procedure to a "T" and had oil consumption issues. I am a fan of drive it hard, if something isn't right, break it early and let the warranty resolve the problem.

I personally am with you on that. I just drive it normally. I'm not beating the hell out of it, but I am pushing it on the twisty back roads.

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Run in for the MK6 GTI will be very gentle for first 3-5K km. Perhaps a light cruise via the RNP and few trips to the Gong via the freeway. Not too concerned about varying revs as I believe its better to keep the revs low and vary the load on the motor. Varying the load on the motor will be done by going up and down gradients ... but not too steep for too long. It's important to load & unload the motor, giving it time to cool down after a short period of being under load. I think a higher average speed on a cool day is also important, as the intake & intercooler are receiving plenty of cool fresh air, to keep the turbo & cylinder temps down as far a possible. Important to keep the turbo 'on boost', rather than 'off boost'. Off boost causes the motor to labour working the turbo, rather than the turbo working the motor. 2-3k rpm is a nice sweet spot in the turbo boost level to work the motor without engaging piston ring flutter. The MK6 GTI has stronger piston rings than the MK5 GTI, but still pays to take it easy for a while for a street driven vehicle.

Drive down to the cooler Southern Tablelands/Jindabyne may also be on the cards, hoping to get ambient temps as low as 0 - 15 degrees for Apr/May 2010. Most important thing imo is not to rev the motor too hard too fast to induce piston ring flutter, letting oil escape between bore & piston and failing to give the rings time to mate with the linning of the bore. Also important to gradually increase the load once the motor is run in, working up slowly & gradually to a higher crescendo ... no different to any person hitting the gym for the first time in a while ... have to work up to the heavy weights slowly & gradually to save any injury.

The MK5 GTI I just sold was run in a similar way - 3/4 freeway and 1/4 city driving - At times with cruise control engaged for periods of time. No blown DV's. Used a very little oil around town on frequent short trips & on a blast up the tight twisties ... no oil used on longer extended trips like Sydney to Brisbane.

Cheers
WJ

Stasis1

Passed Driver's Ed
I drove my MKV from NYC to Montreal (6 hours, 400 miles or so) the day I got it, keeping it mostly under 3k more for fuel economy reasons than anything. I then drove the hell out of it every night for 3 straight weeks.

It's been to the dealer ONCE for a $250 thingy that was covered under warranty anyway. Car has about 50k on it, and was driven hard many, many, many times.

mdashali

Ready to race!
I drove the first 500 under 3K and next 500 under 5K all in either manual or sport mode (DSG).
After that, I just like I would normally with manual shift with occasional touch of red line.
For me D is too slow and S is too responsive.

Saleen731

Passed Driver's Ed
I just joined this forum I just traded my 08 GTi for a 2010 and loving it.
One question I have is when using "Launch Control" do I have to shift gears or does it automatically shift for me. Because I was trying out the LC and was in S and I accidentally hit 7000 in 1st gear, and what is the difference between D and S using Launch Control? Also does anyone think that red lining it at 1400 miles is going to be a problem?

Thank you,

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
S holds gears much longer - it will basically red line before it shifts. It will also downshift aggressively to keep you in the powerband. Of course, given the flat torque curve, it's a pretty wide powerband.

Red lining is fine, just make sure the engine is warm first - drive around gently until temp is 190, then give it a bit more for a few minutes (some 3/4 pulls, etc.), then feel free to open up the taps.