GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

11 GTI vs 03 Boxster

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
I was side by side with a Cayman S through first and second.. his lane was dry, mine had gravel and was damp. I let him get ahead because my lane was ending but I'm sure it surprised him a bit.. :p I really want get side by side with one.

This last weekend I drove a Cayman S for a bit and they REALLY sing higher up in the RPM's where our cars usually start to lose power... so it would be interesting how they actually sit in a longer run.

I managed to beat a Cayman into a lane merge before, surprised him pretty good. This was from a dead start too, which helps because they sing up top while we have good power down low.

JoePistone

Alright, I thought I'd shed some light on the issue of Carreras Vs GTIs.

I live in Kuwait. I am a huge VW fan. Donated my '09 Touareg to my sister - the handling was absolutely rubbish for my style of driving, but the rest of the car was great...unfortunately not my type of SUV but respect for it's craftsmanship. My father and I both drive Porsches (he has an 06 Turbo whilst mine is a Carrera Cabriolet - custom job). Though my father and I both use cars on the side to save Mileage on our Porches since they are bloody expensive to maintain and a bitch to drive daily (you worry when you park since women - as sexist as this sounds - in this country cannot drive let alone park).

I use a '99 Nissan Pathfinder whilst my dad has an 02 Golf 2.0. Although the Golf is not a GTI nor an R, the car is absolutely fun to drive. It's size and nimble steering is great fun to drive even though it's missing out on the power aspect.

Anyways, I've steered off course. I would challenge a GTI any day of the week in my Porsche Carrera. Granted my porsche has actually been rebuilt (the soft top caught on fire after a miswire and the whole car pretty much burnt out, luckily fire dept. came before it was too out of hand and reached the gas tank - pictures before and after repair are available upon request).

Anyways, I put in a 2005 Carrera engine (3.2) and it's a beast. I would challenge any '11 GTI in a straight line or on a track any day. I've actually raced with a 2011 GTI here in Kuwait and there was no chance in hell for that GTI (sorry to be so forward but it's true). In a straight line the GTI faired alot better but as son as we hit a twisty turn (about let's say 45 degrees - the turn was about 100 to 150 meters, one of those long ass bends) I lost him in my rearview. I hit about 150kmph and kept going whilst the GTI just kept getting smaller and smaller in my review.

In the straight line at about 100-110kmph it wasn't that big of a deal but then again who cares about straight lines? In todays world everyone is trying to get that straight line going because it actually deceives the true potential behind a car. a 0-100 (0-62) time is almost useless if you race on a track since that's only from the starting line. After that it all depends how you shift and make your turns.

Can a stock GTI beat a stock Porsche? Sure, but the guy behind the wheel must be a total douche. My friend owns an EVOX and it's tuned. Now that, I wouldn't race with since I haven't tuned my porsche (nor have the desire to do so).

However, saying all of this - I love GTIs and VW in general. My next buy is planned to be an '11 GTI! Brilliant car, luxury, enough power, potential to mod, and so much more.

This thread reminds me of the the whole Porsche Vs. Mini challenge...something that I found a complete waste of time.

I'd like to see a GTI go at it with a EVOX, though since I'm new here I think if I search around for a few mins I'll find it.

I'll keep you guys posted in the next coming months if I decide to purchase the GTI. Things seem extremely likely as of yet. Just waiting for a good deal to pounce on it.

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
This thread has gone from a story of a GTI v Boxter through the twistys not so much as a race but just two guys enjoying their cars, and inexplicably turned into people comparing a 25k VW to a world class Porche 911. I feel like a herd of sheep got on computers and once one made noise they all did simply to hear themselves.......

JoePistone

Well actually, this is a "Vs." thread. Two guys enjoying their cars, absolutely agree with that. However, at the end of the day this is a board for discussion. Different people have different opinions and experiences. Also, with people asking questions regarding the topic of Porsche V Golf, I don't see the problem with all the feedback.

If it's a herd of sheep you think we resemble, so be it. Although your opinion is extremely valuable (I'm sure the UN probably run to you for advice), being referred to as a sheep does not change my life whatsoever. Thanks for your input :) .

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
Being of different opinions is the entire reason for this forum. But being of the opinion that a 911 will smoke a GTI is simply a given for anyone whose ever started an automobile. Theres no need for it to be said multiple times, like a sheep saying "bah", the first time is enough every subsequent iteration is pointless and cause for beings of higher intelligence to scratch their heads.

JoePistone

Of course that being of higher intelligence being you.

I was simply stating my experience regarding my own Carrera against a GTI. The reference was to "anything is possible - man with no arms and legs" video.

If you are so irritated of this 'repetition' why not just overlook the repeated posts? It's not too difficult to skim read and move on to the next post. I think there may be more sheep that like that sound of their "bah" than may appear.

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
My post wasnt directed at you personally, sorry if it came off that way. As far as reading and skimming over and passively grumbling.....wheres the fun in that? I dont mean to refer to myself as a being of higher intelligence, I work at a powerplant, dont take much intelligence to turn a wrench. Its just frustrating to see the subject skew so far from the original. When I opened the thread I was interested in a GTI going at it with a Boxter, as they are comparable vehicles, but I was unfortunately let down.....poop!

JoePistone

No need for apologies. I understand your frustration, it happens in a lot in another forum I used to be in. I think we're all guilty do doing so but then after countless arguments I've realized that it's just what people do at message boards. It's a form of expression for them, even if it's not directly related to the topic people tend to find a way to make things on topic because they wish to express something relative or related to the topic (even if we all don't see it). It used to frustrate me alot in other forums, trust me. Kinda hypocritical of me to say right now but yeah haha. It was early in the morning here when I read your post too, so I must have taken it personally when intent wasn't really directed in that manner. My apologies as well sir. :)

JoePistone

No need for apologies. I understand your frustration, it happens in a lot in another forum I used to be in. I think we're all guilty do doing so but then after countless arguments I've realized that it's just what people do at message boards. It's a form of expression for them, even if it's not directly related to the topic people tend to find a way to make things on topic because they wish to express something relative or related to the topic (even if we all don't see it). It used to frustrate me alot in other forums, trust me. Kinda hypocritical of me to say right now but yeah haha. It was early in the morning here when I read your post too, so I must have taken it personally when intent wasn't really directed in that manner. My apologies as well sir. :)

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
I've got nothing against gti's. I've got a '12 on order as we speak, and that 'poor mans porsche', may not take the git off the line, but in the twisties, he's gonna leave you chokin on his dust pretty much everytime. Even the base model. Porsche is about more than just tearing up the streets man, you've gotta respect that.

A porsche and a gti pull up in front of the club...where are the girls headed???

Who cares. if you buy a Porsche just to get girls you're a loser anyways. Alot of you guys seem to buy your cars based on i want to have a bigger penis. No one gives a shit. Both are great in their own ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk