GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gen-3 EA888 Motor Details

Halvie

WOOSA
so does this turd pile have both an integrated exhaust manifold and an integrated fmic in the intake manifold?

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
"Like some Toyota engines, this Audi powerplant family uses both direct and port injection. Direct injection is used to stabilize the idle and in full-load situations, while the port injectors are put to work under partial loads, where Audi engineers say port injection is better at mixing the fuel and air, with less soot produced and reduced CO2 emissions compared to direct injection. Unlike the Toyota setup, this engine operates either as a port-injected engine or a direct-injected one, and never uses both injectors simultaneously. The third-generation EA888 is said to be about 11 pounds lighter than the second gen, despite the wealth of new features."

:thumbsup:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
The best news is that it should drastically reduce carbon fouling on the intake valves.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
The best news is that it should drastically reduce carbon fouling on the intake valves.

Systematically eliminating all consequences of previous design.. are we going to be saying that we have EA888v.2/3 hybrids after this technology makes its way back to us, temporarily dedicated, MK6ers? :iono:

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
^^ Time will tell. I'm thinking the same thing, but we never know till it's released.

Candy11

Ready to race!
"The foundation of this new version, which is pictured above and marks the third generation of the EA888, is a 72-pound iron block. Audi engineers boast that the wall thickness is as little as 3 mm (0.1 inch), and they point out that a competitor’s minimum iron-block wall thickness is nearly double that figure."

Who else still uses iron blocks?!

C4L

Banned
"The foundation of this new version, which is pictured above and marks the third generation of the EA888, is a 72-pound iron block. Audi engineers boast that the wall thickness is as little as 3 mm (0.1 inch), and they point out that a competitor’s minimum iron-block wall thickness is nearly double that figure."

Who else still uses iron blocks?!

Not many but VAG says that the iron block is stronger than aluminum, better at dissipating heat, and because it is stronger they can use less of it to decrease the weight and cost too.

Seems to work fine to me...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Isn't it some weird iron too... gray iron or something like that...

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
The iron block thing struck me as odd as well, even though they've been able to shave the walls and make it lighter that way.

Candy11

Ready to race!
It's some kinda alloy I forgot what all is in it. It all about cost. Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of iron roughly. You just need more aluminum to match the strength. It's always lighter regardless.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
It's some kinda alloy I forgot what all is in it. It all about cost. Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of iron roughly. You just need more aluminum to match the strength. It's always lighter regardless.

If you can cast iron in more intricate geometry to take weight out of it, you can make lighter cast iron parts than aluminum. But thats not necessarily cheaper.

Same reason why car companies are getting more high strength steel in chassis parts, they can make higher strength part with less material with the better strength properties of steel to overcome the density disadvantage.