GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI: No love from VW marketing?

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
There's no doubt the MKV was marketed heavily in the US. There were the "unpimp the auto" spots, featuring Peter Stormare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Dx9MhrqcE

And of course, the "Fast" campaign, which was even tied into the 2006 Winter Olympics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltk9GFGVGZs

But when the MKVI came around, there was... nothing? I don't remember seeing any commercials for the car at all. There maybe were print or online ads, but if so they obviously weren't memorable. A YouTube search yields ads from other markets (especially for the "35 edition"), but nothing from the US.

Maybe it's because VW was eager to show off that the V was a significant change from the previous model, but the VI was really only an incremental update?

Just something I've been thinking about...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
lol...I didn't even know the mk6 came out until it had been out for a year or 2. I was driving around in my mk4 gti and it was like wtf is that?! Then I fell in love with it and bought one. I always thought the mk5 was a pretty ugly car, and the mk4 was a good looking car, especially the r32, 20th, and 337. When I saw the mk6 I thought it was the direction they should have gone from the mk4.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
VW marketing or anyone's makes no difference to me. I saw what I liked did research & bought it.

Now the longer warranty on new VW's has my attention, but I doubt they will market it.

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
VW was mid dieselgate, promoting a sports car during an emissions scandal regardless of it's emissions output was probably not a good idea.

Considering the amount of money they have had to shell out, it could have been a cut in marketing funds?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
lol...I didn't even know the mk6 came out until it had been out for a year or 2. I was driving around in my mk4 gti and it was like wtf is that?! Then I fell in love with it and bought one. I always thought the mk5 was a pretty ugly car, and the mk4 was a good looking car, especially the r32, 20th, and 337. When I saw the mk6 I thought it was the direction they should have gone from the mk4.

Ha. So true! I first saw one on the expressway in south Dade county and did the same, 'wtf is that??' I want one!

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Interesting now that you mention it. Especially since it was a 35th anniversary. There were mk5 commercials and Ive seen mk7 commercials. I found one german commercial while searching but that was it. Dieslegate was years after they would have marketed this model. Maybe they thought it was a car that didnt need any tv commercials to sell.