GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ugh.....ABS/ESP Fault

Korydogg

Ready to race!
How old is your battery?? The charging voltage is not the issue, you will get the fault before you start the car if the battery is not up to the job. The faults will stay when the car is running/charging. I've had the same issue, all the car needed was a new battery and the problems went away.

I just bought the car and so its hard to say. However, its a 2014 and the battery doesn't look like the stock one that came in the car. So I feel like its been replaced before. Otherwise, visually it looks perfect. It reads 12.48 VDC before I start it which is a tad low but I don't think that would trigger the fault. I could be wrong tho.

The shop charged $119 for each sensor part. Labor is about the same. Like I said, though, I wasn't comfortable having to squeeze under the car and do this one myself. And this shop is good, they do things right, so don't mind paying in that case.

Right on. I have no problem doing it myself....I'm just a little disappointed because I just spent a ton of money on parts and then this happened. So If I wanna replace all of the sensors its prolly gonna cost me about $400. So that blows.

Yes it is definitely the ABS sensors. Have had 3/4 go bad already, same symptoms you're car is having

Get a cheep Chinese android phone just to use with OBDeleven!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to take it to get scanned with VAGCOM and start from there. From everything Ive read about this problem it points to a few different things and so I want to scanned and see what comes back before I spend a lot of money replacing parts.

I really, really appreciate everyone's input here. It has been invaluable and as soon as I get to the bottom of this Ill post my fix so others can reference this post.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
:thumbup: Yes, please let us know how it turns out!

Korydogg

Ready to race!
...just an update for those that may be following along. I got the car scanned on Monday and it looks to be a right front ABS sensor. I am gonna put it on order and report back when I install it.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
that's how it starts..........LoL

Yea, let us know how it goes

Korydogg

Ready to race!
:thumbup: Yes, please let us know how it turns out!

that's how it starts..........LoL

Yea, let us know how it goes

Alrighty so I replaced the right front wheel speed sensor. Took it for a little drive and no issues. Ill get a longer drive in tomorrow on my way to work and we'll see if the problem comes back. Fingers crossed!

When I removed the old one, it was caked with grease and grime and so I think that may have contributed to the problem. I am going to pull off the other three and clean them in hopes this isn't a problem I have to face again for a long time.

Uberryan

Banned
Owned my car since 2011. Maybe had the ABS fault 2-3 times? Normally happens on hot days after I've driven the car for a bit, go into a store and come back and start it up within 5-10mins. At least that's the formula as I recall. I just read and clear the codes with vagcom, and no issues after, at least for a while. It might be tune related, but it looks like you're solving your problem by replacing sensors.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Aright!

So I think I have it all fixed! In total I drove about 90 miles today and no issues.....so I'm gonna chalk this one up to fixed. Like I said I plan to pull off the other three sensors and clean them but I'm hoping this issue doesn't come back.

A big thanks to everyone that contributed. If it wasn't for this forum and a local guy with Vagcom I wouldn't have known what to look at.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I just responded to a similar ABS / ESC / TC thread in the Golf 2.5 Section.

I received a VW Safety Recall 45F2 in March from Volkswagen Canada relating to the ABS / ESC System for 2009/2010 models, not sure it applies but you should be aware.

I posted this in the Main Section as well.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115847

Cheers !

Last edited:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
A big thanks to everyone that contributed. If it wasn't for this forum and a local guy with Vagcom I wouldn't have known what to look at.

Agree........I love this forum, people here are different...very few jerks, they really DO like to help and want to offer practical suggestions instead of snarky comments.

Long live MK6! :happyanim:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I just responded to a similar ABS / ESC / TC thread in the Golf 2.5 Section.

I received a VW Safety Recall 45F2 in March from Volkswagen Canada relating to the ABS / ESC System for 2009/2010 models, not sure it applies but you should be aware.

I posted this in the Main Section as well.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115847

Cheers !

I had ABS module failure on my 09 MK5 GLI before the recall came out. I ended up swapping in a used mk6 gti unit from ebay for like $100 and added two zeroes to the end of the coding and it worked perfectly! It allowed me to activate XDS as well which wasn't an option on the Mk5s. VWOA denied my claim for reimbursement after I got the recall notice and submitted my documents.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Aright!

So I think I have it all fixed! In total I drove about 90 miles today and no issues.....so I'm gonna chalk this one up to fixed. Like I said I plan to pull off the other three sensors and clean them but I'm hoping this issue doesn't come back.

So what was the issue? Bad sensor?