GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help: Engine shut off while driving

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
In for updates. That's some scary shit, especially on the highway.

The other month my car shut off on me as I was coming to a stop sign at a mall. Can't remember what lights were on, but do know the AC was on. Dealer couldn't find a thing.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Need some help from the motor heads. I was cruising back from a trip up in norcal. Was cruising down the I-5 at about 80mph, and suddenly felt the car slow. no throttle response, car slows to about 60mph and the battery light comes on, like it stalled, but I was just cruising in 6th.

pull over, check battery terminals, fluids, nothing seemed suspicious. start it back up again and everything looks ok. no check engine, nothing.

i was about 260 miles into the trip, temp read at 98 degrees outside. nothing out of the ordinary. car just passed 28k. have been ok up to 400 miles on the trip odo now.

obviously, i'll be giving the dealer a call, but wanted to get a better idea of what went on first in case they try to bs me.

thanks.

You might have some codes stored, but not enough to trigger a CEL....I heard Autozone will scan your car for free....if you can get a free scan, let google be your friend and research any codes that come up.

I had major problem with a code this past spring, kept going into limp mode as slow, or highway cruising speeds, sometimes it wouldn't trigger a CEL until after a number of limp modes.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
In for updates. That's some scary shit, especially on the highway.

The other month my car shut off on me as I was coming to a stop sign at a mall. Can't remember what lights were on, but do know the AC was on. Dealer couldn't find a thing.

Yeah happened to me as I was slowing down too. Read somewhere else that happens to be when it typically happens to people, such as when they lift off brake to get on gas and nothing happens.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Got some news from the dealership.

Apparently they said there was a technical service bulletin and they updated the ECU software to fix this issue.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
Bump.

Just had this happen to me yesterday on the highway after APR stage 1+ update the evening before. Engine stalled but all accessories stayed on. Coasted to the shoulder and it started back up like nothing happened. I'm out of warranty so I took it to a well recommended indie shop. The said the ECM didn't record anything. They didn't find anything physically out of place either. They reset the throttle position and just hoping it was a hiccup.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Bump.

Just had this happen to me yesterday on the highway after APR stage 1+ update the evening before. Engine stalled but all accessories stayed on. Coasted to the shoulder and it started back up like nothing happened. I'm out of warranty so I took it to a well recommended indie shop. The said the ECM didn't record anything. They didn't find anything physically out of place either. They reset the throttle position and just hoping it was a hiccup.

Thats what scares me the most about things. How something can happen and then with all these computers and sensors nothing gets recorded so no one has any idea.

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
Bump.

I had the same situation a few months ago on K04 set up with DSG. I was going 60ish and its was like someone turned the engine off. I moved DSG into N and restarted the engine within 5 seconds. It fired up without any issues. I scanned codes with APR mobile right away and there were no codes.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
All this computer overengineering by VWAG where it doesn't even like you installing LED bulbs but it doesn't record an engine stall. Beyond me. I've had three random low oil pressure keep engine under 4K RPM warnings that the ECM never recorded either.

mfractal

Ready to race!
All this computer overengineering by VWAG where it doesn't even like you installing LED bulbs but it doesn't record an engine stall. Beyond me. I've had three random low oil pressure keep engine under 4K RPM warnings that the ECM never recorded either.

That seems very strange. Low oil pressure switch errors usually get logged. What'd you use to scan the car ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rasetsu

Ready to race!
That seems very strange. Low oil pressure switch errors usually get logged. What'd you use to scan the car ?

Dealer checked that before and indie shop checked that too so VCDS? That's a whole other issue with many other threads talking about that weirdness.

mfractal

Ready to race!
Holy crap. I wasn't aware! In my case every time that error appeared I had a oil pressure sensor malfunction error logged. It ended up being the valve cover installed wrong destroying both cams btw

fbgmoney

Ready to race!
Same thing happened to me yesterday driving my 2014 DSG. Was in stop and go traffic and the engine just shut off. Music still playing. No jerkiness as it happened, and car started right back up and the engine sounded fine. Only code that showed up when I scanned it was low battery voltage. I drove another 100 miles since that happened yesterday and had no issues.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
My issue was eventually narrowed down to high pressure fuel pump. Got it replaced and hasn't happened again since. *knock on wood*

fbgmoney

Ready to race!
My issue was eventually narrowed down to high pressure fuel pump. Got it replaced and hasn't happened again since. *knock on wood*

Thanks for the update. Seems like a handful of people reporting this, but I haven't seen anything on the issue being resolved.

Did this ever become a recurring issue or was it a one time thing?