GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil analysis back..

finklejag

Ready to race!
Did you pay for the oil change @ 5K? Pento High Performance II 5W-40 is a Low SAP group III oil. They're are better oils out there for cheaper.

Any one of these will work.

Castrol Syntec 0W-30
Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40
Kendall GT-1 Synthetic 5W-40
Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-40

Call up your local oil distributors to price out the Kendall and Chevron oils. I can buy either one of these locally for $4.80 a quart through my distributor.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Did you pay for the oil change @ 5K? Pento High Performance II 5W-40 is a Low SAP group III oil. They're are better oils out there for cheaper.

Any one of these will work.

Castrol Syntec 0W-30
Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40
Kendall GT-1 Synthetic 5W-40
Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-40

Call up your local oil distributors to price out the Kendall and Chevron oils. I can buy either one of these locally for $4.80 a quart through my distributor.

Yea,

I guess no good for Pento. How about this (Group V Motul oil (8100 X-MAX)?

How about Amsoil? - http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx

Castrol 5W40 Syn wont hurt either? Why i dont see any posts about Mobil 1 Syn 0w-40?

I had to pay for it because I was in hurry for road trip.

Last edited:

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I will be doing my first oil change in June. I want to use a 504.00 oil to help with the valve deposits. I will either use the Castrol SLX LL-3 5W-30 from the dealer, or Pento High Performance III 5W-30 from a VW parts shop down the street. The Pentosin is $3.75 more for 5 liters.

How do those oils compare to the German Castrol 0W30?

finklejag

Ready to race!
Not all Motul oils are Group V Ester based. The 300 line is, but it's considered racing oil. The only 8100 oil that is ester based is the 0W-30 X-lite. The X-Max is group IV.

After doing some more research. I won't be using a 504 oil in my GTI. With the US using E10 in our gas, and BMW and Mercedes stated not to use Euro 4 oils in the US because of our gas. I also did a VOA on a 504 oil. The additive pack was really weak.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Can a moderator please move this thread to the newly created "Maintenance" section?

Btw, I originally posted my oil analysis from my first 5k oil change. I then changed my oil at 10k. I am now at 15k but will not change the oil until 20k at which time I will send the oil for analysis. This will then provide us with a comparison between a 5k OCI (oil change interval) and a 10k OCI since I cannot seem to find anyone that has posted an oil analysis for a 10k OCI on the MKVI.

Stay tuned.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1987254&page=1

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Thank you for the reply DawnsKayBug. Did you have an APR tune during these 9.4k miles or was your car stock? If you did have a tune, what octane was it?

The reason I ask is because I know that the tune pushes the car a little harder and forces higher psi's from the turbo and so this may cause additional wear.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Hit the 20k mile mark and got my oil changed. This oil change interval was from 10k to 20k miles. I am sending a sample to the lab to see what they say. This 10k OCI (oil change interval) sample is with the car running the APR Stage 1 93 Octane mode tune the whole time.

EDIT: Can a moderator please move this to the appropriate section in the forum (the newly created Maintenance section).

hugoender1

Ready to race!

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Of course some people will say that every engine in every car is different. Others will bluster and stammer that 10K is too long.

But what you have proven, to me at least, is that VW is right and we don't need to waste money and pollute the environment with too frequent oil changes.

Also, I intend to use German Castrol. You are using Syntec which isn't a bad oil but not the best.

The argument is now over.

Thanks for the post.

edgary

Ready to race!
And the oil analysis is back! The results are VERY surprising and promising! I have written a formal article here (http://gadgettechie.net/cars/oil-change-interval-oci-are-the-dealerships-ruining-your-engine-part-2/). There are two parts to the series. The first part shows the results of my first oil change at 5k miles and the second part is the newest one which shows the results of my most recent oil change at close to 10k miles with an APR Stage 1 93 Octane tune.

Perfect! This is exactly the reason why I'm subscribed to this thread.

Nice blog, by the way.

mylesw42

Ready to race!
Nice report hugoender, I did some aggressive oil changes off the bat, 1500km, 7500km and 15000km. I'm thinking now that I've flushed most engine break-in material I will be extending my changes to every 15000km like the manual suggests.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Given the conclusive evidence that 10k is fine... you will still have the boneheads changing it at 3000 for "cheap" insurance. Thanks for clearing it up for the rest of us!