GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cailfornia Smog: Know Your Rights & Options

JT641

Banned
Has anyone tried or purchased a downpipe or turbo back exhaust in the past 6 months?? I've noticed more and more online retailers stating they won't sell to CA residents

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Has anyone tried or purchased a downpipe or turbo back exhaust in the past 6 months?? I've noticed more and more online retailers stating they won't sell to CA residents

Nope. But I did buy a non-CARB intake no problem.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Easier to just reinstall the stock down pipe, flash back to stock and get it over with.
Although there are people who've passed smog checks with aftermarket down pipes or even K04's installed.
Most, if not all depends on the place you get smogged at and the operator of said location.

To pass visual you need stock downpipe in place, stock intake or one with a CARB sticker. Passed both times with K04 and advanced K04 tune in place. In California they only look for visual and ODBII emmissions readiness so it is easy to pass. K04 is not something that is going to get picked up in a visual, the tune doesn't matter as long as it doesn't block CEL. Technically you meet all the legal qualifiers. Even a K04 with an advanced tune will run fine and does not need to be reflashed if not affecting CEL.

nuisancecc

Ready to race!
If you had a stock downpipe on the car that also had a K04 on it where did you screw in the primary 02 sensor? Stock downpipe doesn't have a place for the primary/first 02 sensor and neither does the k04. Did you just leave it hanging out?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
If you had a stock downpipe on the car that also had a K04 on it where did you screw in the primary 02 sensor? Stock downpipe doesn't have a place for the primary/first 02 sensor and neither does the k04. Did you just leave it hanging out?

I have an FSI motor, 02 sensors mounted in downpipe not turbo. I believe that is true for TSI CCTA motors as well. I saw your post a while back and the pipe you made for your CBFA motor. Technically you should not pass with that pipe in California, nice work though. Yes if it looks stock enough it is possible a ref might not know the difference but only stock cats are approved for use in CA.

nuisancecc

Ready to race!
Cross posted from the other thread. You have a CCTA not a CBFA thus the information you are posting does not apply to 99.9% of the GTI owners in Cali-

Not having much to do today and wanting to squash all the bullshit being thrown around I am taking the time to prove why a "stock" CBFA downpipe WILL NOT work with a K04. I took my modded downpipe out of storage to show how it will work, not a "stock" CBFA, and also looked around for some other pictures as proof also.

As I said earlier with a CBFA the first o2 sensor goes in the turbo NOT THE CAT and when you install a K04 you can't install that sensor in the turbo as there is no place for it. This is why you need to install an aftermarket downpipe when you install a K04 in a CBFA car. Picture A below shows the difference between a K03 and a K04/F23.

And it's not as simple as just putting a bung on the stock CBFA downpipe either as there is no space for it. Picture B below shows that there is no room between the flange and the first cat to install a bung.

It's also not as simple as slapping a "stock" CCTA downpipe on a CBFA car as there are only 2 02 bungs, you need to install a third one. Picture group C has the downpipe that I used to pass the ref/SMOG.

Picture A-

Picture B-

Picture group C

nuisancecc

Ready to race!
I passed the ref inspection with that downpipe after he spent over 30 minutes on the visual and otherwise so I would say it looks stock. With a typical smog you might get a 2 minute inspection at most.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Just failed with Revo stage 1. O2 sensors weren't ready. Would switching to APR solve this?

You should be able to pass with Revo stage 1 if you are running the stock downpipe which would be normal for stage 1.

You need to clear all codes and then there are a couple of ways to get back to emissions readiness. You can drive a couple of hundred miles under varying road conditions and speeds OR you can use the Ross-Tech cable to clear codes and then run the readiness routine that negates the need to do all that driving.

Revo stage one should not have any trouble passing. APR stage 2 is the tune that has a test-pipe option that disables reporting of O2 sensor info and causes an emissions test failure.

Breakfast Beagle

Passed Driver's Ed
You should be able to pass with Revo stage 1 if you are running the stock downpipe which would be normal for stage 1.

You need to clear all codes and then there are a couple of ways to get back to emissions readiness. You can drive a couple of hundred miles under varying road conditions and speeds OR you can use the Ross-Tech cable to clear codes and then run the readiness routine that negates the need to do all that driving.

Revo stage one should not have any trouble passing. APR stage 2 is the tune that has a test-pipe option that disables reporting of O2 sensor info and causes an emissions test failure.

That's what I thought. What would cause the readiness to be off like that? Also, thank you for the info.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
That's what I thought. What would cause the readiness to be off like that? Also, thank you for the info.

Lots of different error codes still in history and not cleared. As well as a bad or non functioning 02 sensor all of which can be seen with a Ross-Tech cable.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Okay, cool. Thanks for all of the help.

If you don't have a cable.... Looks like you iive about 25-30mi from me. Let me know if you can't find anyone closer to help out or lend you a cable. I can clear codes and run readiness for you if you want help.

JT641

Banned
Anyone sell there GTI? If so did you put any of the stock parts back on to make it smog legal Because your car has be smogged by the person you sell it too

Last edited:

nuisancecc

Ready to race!
Anyone sell there GTI? If so did you put any of the stock parts back on to make it smog legal Because your car has be smogged by the person you sell it too

Uh no, it has to be smogged BY YOU before you sell it.

"The SELLER is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance."

https://dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq#BM2537