GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Driver Gear/VWR Spring Thread

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
So before I install my VWR springs: replace anything? I'm keeping the stock struts. The whole "replace it because VW owner" thing drives me crazy, for some reason everyone seems to circle jerk over spending money.

I have 42k on the car and no fucks given.

As long as the struts aren't leaking you're fine. As far as the wear items go, mounts, bearings, and endlinks. You'll only need boots and bump stops if yours are torn.

It's not that people love spending money, it's that it makes more sense to replace this stuff while you have it apart, since it's the same amount of labor to replace collapsed mounts or grinding bearings as it is to replace the springs. There's no reason to do the job twice.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Had VWR springs installed yesterday along with Audi TT mounts and new bearings. My stock bearings were shot. Also had the Audi rear spring perch installed to avoid reverse rake. Happy so far! Absorbs bumps better and body roll has been reduced. Quite a bit of drop as well. Not even settled yet.

Before:

Rear

Front

After:

Rear

Front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks really good. grats!:thumbsup:

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Very nice drop.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Nice drop. How many miles on the stock struts? And what did this end up costing you total?

Approx 27k on the stock struts/shocks. 287 for the springs, another 60 for the strut mounts, 25ish for the bearings, and the new bolts, and finally $200 to get them installed.

Vroomtt

Passed Driver's Ed
Hate to add a noob question here, but I've been cracking my head between the VWR's and DG's. I'd like the slightly lower drop, but am seeing mixed reviews regarding the longevity of the stock shocks with the VWR's.

I know VWR's claim to be made for the oem shocks, so it's odd that some report a crappy ride and greatly decreased shock life with them. Can anyone confirm??

I'm in a 2013 4dr DSG on Lagunas with 28k miles, so my oem shocks should be fine for DG's, but I'm on the fence with the VWR's. It's also my daily.

Thanks

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Hate to add a noob question here, but I've been cracking my head between the VWR's and DG's. I'd like the slightly lower drop, but am seeing mixed reviews regarding the longevity of the stock shocks with the VWR's.

I know VWR's claim to be made for the oem shocks, so it's odd that some report a crappy ride and greatly decreased shock life with them. Can anyone confirm??

I'm in a 2013 4dr DSG on Lagunas with 28k miles, so my oem shocks should be fine for DG's, but I'm on the fence with the VWR's. It's also my daily.

Thanks

I put VWRs on my stock suspension around your mileage and I haven't driven over 2000 miles. I didn't know they would be that harsh on the suspension, but figure it makes sense with how much lower they are. I love them for the most part. Sportier feel that's for sure.

Vroomtt

Passed Driver's Ed
I put VWRs on my stock suspension around your mileage and I haven't driven over 2000 miles. I didn't know they would be that harsh on the suspension, but figure it makes sense with how much lower they are. I love them for the most part. Sportier feel that's for sure.

Thanks for the reply. Would you consider the ride much more harsh than stock? Sporty is great, but hows ride quality?

Also, please do report back once you have more miles on it.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the reply. Would you consider the ride much more harsh than stock? Sporty is great, but hows ride quality?

Also, please do report back once you have more miles on it.

I have a bunch of other suspension mods that have stiffened up the car so it's firmer indeed, which definitely helps soaking up bumps and inconsistencies in the road and helps for better control. It takes away most of that floating feeling with stock springs. It will feel slightly more harsh since it has a higher spring rate, but it's not a bad thing as it makes your car more predictable.

Vroomtt

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a bunch of other suspension mods that have stiffened up the car so it's firmer indeed, which definitely helps soaking up bumps and inconsistencies in the road and helps for better control. It takes away most of that floating feeling with stock springs. It will feel slightly more harsh since it has a higher spring rate, but it's not a bad thing as it makes your car more predictable.

That's great, thanks again for the info. Just waiting to hear back on how it affects the life of the oem shocks.

Hopefully others can comment too.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Pretty sure this has been answered before, but searching for it would be a PITA so I'm just asking again:

Can you use DG springs for a 4DR DSG on a 4DR 6MT vehicle?

If you can, I would assume that the former is slightly heavier, so using springs for an auto vehicle in a vehicle with a manual transmission would give it less of a drop?

Viper31

As the springs listed at the beginning of this thread are no longer available, is the consensus to use springs 5K4071677A on a 4 door DSG to get a slightly lower drop in the front?

Vroomtt

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, I'm itching to pull the trigger on DG's for my GTI 4dr DSG . Just cant decide on whether to go with the dsg 4dr springs or maybe the dsg 2dr springs to try to get a lil lower in the rear. Not sure if I want to be a guinea pig for that setup though...