GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resonator Delete

pshizz

Passed Driver's Ed
Intend on taking out the resonator for a straight pipe, in order to make the exhaust sound louder and more beefy. Just curious if any of you have had this done would you suggest it? Also what box should i be taking out? I dont want to mess something up!

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
i heard taking out the resonator will create drone. but if you dont mind drone do it!

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
I doubt it will create drone, but resonators eliminate the higher frequency sounds so you'll more than likely make it sound more like a buzzy honda which is counter intuitive to the 'beefy' sound you're going for.

V Dubbed

Passed Driver's Ed
You know what i'v been thinking the same thing, i just don't know to pull out the muffler at the back of the car and make it straight through or take out the other muffler under the rear passenger seat??? I must say since i bought the car its getting louder and louder , i have 8000km on it now and its so much louder then when i bought the car. I wonder if it will just keep getting louder like after 15.000km or 30.000km as the fuel burns all the stuff inside the muffler.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
I did this a few months ago on my MKV. You have to cut off the muffler that is in the middle of the car, not the muffler with the tips (obviously). I got a stainless pipe from a company and it fit perfect. It sounded a little louder and more "gurgly". There was/is drone on the highway when I gave it gas, along with a little extra vibration. Honestly, it sounded good at idle and that was about it. On the highway, it sounded like an old car that needed a new muffler/exhaust system. I took it off about a month ago and have not missed it at all. I would have much rather saved the money and time spent on this. I would not recommend it at all.

pshizz

Passed Driver's Ed

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
I was thinking about doing the same thing but honestly its not worth it..
Any shop will want: $100 - $150 dollars to delete a resonator (unless ur doing it yourself)
Custom cat-less downpipe $200 - $250 dollars including installation, which will make the car louder but not too loud plus u will gain more hp than any cat-back exhaust.
For $100 dollars more u will gain sound and power!

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
I was thinking about doing the same thing but honestly its not worth it..
Any shop will want: $100 - $150 dollars to delete a resonator (unless ur doing it yourself)
Custom cat-less downpipe $200 - $250 dollars including installation, which will make the car louder but not too loud plus u will gain more hp than any cat-back exhaust.
For $100 dollars more u will gain sound and power!

Actually the Downpipe on ebay (surewin?) is only like 115$ shipped I believe. If you'd rather not be catless pick up a magnaflow high-flow cat for $80 and have it welded in.

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
Actually the Downpipe on ebay (surewin?) is only like 115$ shipped I believe. If you'd rather not be catless pick up a magnaflow high-flow cat for $80 and have it welded in.

as far as what i was told by a local shop to weld in a dp its going to cost atleast $150 and cat-less would be better for me.

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
Pickin up my mk6 on friday... what are the pros and cons of catless or high flow cat? Actually, what are they? I'm new and this will be the first car I ever do anything to. If I got a different exhaust, would that void my warrenty?

v-dubGTI10

I did this a few months ago on my MKV. You have to cut off the muffler that is in the middle of the car, not the muffler with the tips (obviously). I got a stainless pipe from a company and it fit perfect. It sounded a little louder and more "gurgly". There was/is drone on the highway when I gave it gas, along with a little extra vibration. Honestly, it sounded good at idle and that was about it. On the highway, it sounded like an old car that needed a new muffler/exhaust system. I took it off about a month ago and have not missed it at all. I would have much rather saved the money and time spent on this. I would not recommend it at all.

hey did u get any engine codes come up or check engine light? i am trying to do that wit my mk6 but i have 2 o2 sensors on each side of the resonator not on the resonator but on the exhaust pipe 1 in the front nd 1 on the back side...wondering if i still take off the resonator nd throw a stright pipe in would that throw any lights on.....someone told me my car has california emmisons so thats y it has the sensors nd it will mess up the motor?

chuymty69

Resonator delete

I removed the resonator on my GTI, replaced it with a straight pipe and it sounds really good, not too loud but just a bit louder than normal. I have the DSG transmission and in between gears it sounds kinda like an indy car changing gears. I actually also want to remove the silencer ( flat silencer holding both tips ?) and replace regular pipes but not sure if that will be too much. Has anyone tried this? I will post a video while driving so you can hear the difference. Thanks
...... by the way, i paid $25 dls to have it removed and place new pipe at a regular moffler shop.

Luvndubn6

Banned
I removed the resonator on my GTI, replaced it with a straight pipe and it sounds really good, not too loud but just a bit louder than normal. I have the DSG transmission and in between gears it sounds kinda like an indy car changing gears. I actually also want to remove the silencer ( flat silencer holding both tips ?) and replace regular pipes but not sure if that will be too much. Has anyone tried this? I will post a video while driving so you can hear the difference. Thanks
...... by the way, i paid $25 dls to have it removed and place new pipe at a regular moffler shop.

Holy thread revival haha. Oh well cant knock u for searcing :).

Anyway on to my main point: youve obviously never heard an indycar in person.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
If you're looking to delete your resonator underneath the backseat, try out 42DD resonator delete pipe. Ask for fitment, but it is a piece that just needs to be welded in after you cut half of your cat-back (they have instructions as to how much length you need to leave in order for great fitment). It fit for the MK5, and both MK5 and MK6 appear to have the same piping up til the suitcase muffler. Cheap alternative to custom-fitting a piece.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/fsinores.html
http://www.hstuning.com/view-all/universal/42dd-mk5-resonator-delete