GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it me... or does this "AH" pcv look tampered with?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Anyone have one to compare?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

Anyone have one to compare?

It does look odd and without knowing any better the pessimist in me would think the seller was passing off old revisions as new but I’ll have to take a look at mine a bit later, going buy the date wheel it would suggest it is an AH revision though! I think it’s normal as I’ve seen other part numbers that look like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I mean, my cc takes the pressure off of the pcv, so a lesser version would likely be ok, but that's not what I paid for either

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
This is a pic of an earlier revision I found online,

And an AH revision,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Until it gets clogged by a blowby chunk, full, or freezes. Then you've got a lot more problems on your hands.

Then I guess I'll buy another one... and mine doesn't freeze because I'm not an idiot to let it do so. The oem design was and is a pos, but too many Africa plates don't work well either.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Then I guess I'll buy another one... and mine doesn't freeze because I'm not an idiot to let it do so. The oem design was and is a pos, but too many Africa plates don't work well either.
i should buy a CC. I dont need to worry about freezing because we only have like 2 days out of the year where its at freezing

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
How do you prevent the CC from freezing? I live in CT and there are many days below freezing here.

I'm replacing my PCV in the next 2-3 weeks and will eventually do a carbon cleaning later this year.

I'm sick of the amount of oil i'm seeing in the intake track... you can really see it at the turbo outlet pipe right where it is prone to boost leaks at the O-ring.

I'm thinking right after the carbon cleaning is the best time to get the CC. But I also don't want it to freeze during the winter months...

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
How do you prevent the CC from freezing? I live in CT and there are many days below freezing here.

I'm replacing my PCV in the next 2-3 weeks and will eventually do a carbon cleaning later this year.

I'm sick of the amount of oil i'm seeing in the intake track... you can really see it at the turbo outlet pipe right where it is prone to boost leaks at the O-ring.

I'm thinking right after the carbon cleaning is the best time to get the CC. But I also don't want it to freeze during the winter months...

I have forge's latest cc which uses the OEM pcv... So just disconnect that, and connect the oem... done. My car is also garage kept, and it absent been cold enough for it to freeze. Also, just keep that can empty so that it won't back up.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Catch can design plays a big role in this. If you look at the ECS catch can, the can is mostly open and the perforations are contained mainly at the top. This means that the CC can fill up more without blocking airflow.

Other CCs like APR's have the air passage much lower in the can, so much less liquid in the can could cause air blockage if the liquid froze.

I'll be going with the ECS catch can specifically for this reason. I don't care if it catches less oil than the APR can or others, it will catch more than no catch can at all and the primary reason I'll be getting it is to protect the PCV plate from boost.

Edit: Almost forgot, you can also hedge against freezing by putting some isopropyl alcohol in the catch can when it's cold out, which should prevent water from freezing up. Still would want to check it weekly in the winter though.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Thanks for all of the replies! I also recalled that catch can thread that started a month or 2 ago and went back and read it. My car is not garage kept unfortunately :-(

I guess there is always a risk of the CC freezing up on you. But getting a CC that has the air flow holes as close to the top as possible would be my best be. And putting some sort of alcohol in there that doesn't freeze easily would be more insurance. Iso alcohol, windshield washer fluid - that all makes a lot of sense to me.

I hear the ECS CC setup may be my best bet or something along those lines. I would also like to keep the OEM (latest revision) PCV on the car and not use the Africa plate.